Interjet has quite a generous baggage policy for a low-cost carrier, with a weight allowance per piece of 55 pounds (25 kg) for its lower fares. This is 5 pounds more than the usual 50 pound (23 kg) allowance for most airlines.
Baggage is included in all fares, apart from Ultra Light, across all routes and Light tickets between Mexico and the U.S. or Canada.
Table of contents
Table of Contents
Interjet Carry-On Allowance
1 personal item: FREE
1 standard carry-on bag: FREE
Size and Weight Restrictions
- Personal: No size restriction disclosed, but may include an item such as a handbag, laptop case, small backpack, purse, or camera bag.
- Carry-On: 21 x 15 x 9 inches (55 x 40 x 25 cm) including handles and wheels. The weight of the carry-on and personal item combined must not exceed 22 pounds (10 kg).
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
Stroller Check Policy
- A stroller and car seat may be checked at the gate free of charge and do not count towards your checked baggage allowance.
Interjet Checked Baggage Allowance
|Flights in Mexico and To/From Latin America||0 bags included (available to purchase only)||1 x 55 pound (25 kg) bag||1 x 66 pound (30 kg) bag||2 x 55 pound (25 kg) bags|
|Flights between Mexico and the U.S. or Canada||0 bags included (available to purchase only)||0 bags included (available to purchase only)||1 x 55 pound (25 kg) bag||2 x 55 pound (25 kg) bags|
|Flights Between Mexico and Cuba||0 bags included (available to purchase only)||1 x 55 pound (25 kg) bag||1 x 55 pound (25 kg) bag||2 x 55 pound (25 kg) bags|
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases worldwide.
Additional Baggage Fees
Interjet allows passengers to purchase up to 5 additional free checked bags:
- First additional piece: from Mex$550 ($30)
- Second additional piece: from Mex$800 ($40)
- Third additional piece: from Mex$800 ($75)
- Fourth additional piece: from Mex$800 ($100)
- Fifth additional piece: from Mex$1,000 ($100)
For flights to/from Cuba (Santa Clara, Varadero, Havana), additional baggage is charged at:
- First additional piece: from Mex$1,000 ($50)
- Second additional piece: from Mex$2,100 ($105)
- Third additional piece: from Mex$2,100 ($105)
- Fourth additional piece:: from Mex$2,100 ($105)
- Fifth additional piece: from Mex$2,600 ($130)
Excess Baggage Fees
If a piece of luggage exceeds 55 pounds (25 kg) then you will be charged for excess luggage (excluding the Optima fare for flights in Mexico and to/from Latin America where the weight limit is 66 pounds (30 kg). The following fees apply to increase your weight allowance to 66 pounds (30 kg):
- Within Mexico: Mex$80 MXN per kilogram
- To/from Latin America or the U.S.: $8 per kilogram
- To/from Canada: $8 CAD per kilogram
If your luggage is a large oversized piece that is considered “special baggage,” such as a TV, car parts, or air conditioning unit, then you may be charged the following fees:
|Flights Departing From Mexico||Flights Departing Outside Mexico|
|1 piece of special baggage: Mex$2,500||1 piece of special baggage: $130|
|2 pieces of special baggage: Mex$3,400||2 pieces of special baggage: $175|
|3 pieces of special baggage: Mex$5,200||3 pieces of special baggage: $265|
|4 pieces of special baggage: Mex$7,000||4 pieces of special baggage: $355|
|5 pieces of special baggage: Mex$9,700||5 pieces of special baggage: $490|
|6 pieces of special baggage: Mex$12,400||6 pieces of special baggage: $625|
|7 pieces of special baggage: Mex$15,100||7 pieces of special baggage: $760|
Read the Interjet special baggage policy for information relating to the transportation of flat-panel TVs, sporting equipment, musical instruments, etc.
Credit Cards That Wipe Away Your Baggage Fees
Interjet doesn’t currently offer a U.S. credit card with free baggage. However, you may want to consider charging your Interjet baggage fees to the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card. After charging your baggage, you can use the card’s proprietary Purchase Eraser tool to “erase” the excess baggage purchase using your credit card points.
The Purchase Eraser tool lets you redeem your Venture card’s points at a value of 1 cent per point towards any travel purchase, including baggage fees from any airline. This means that a $130 Special Baggage fee would cost 13,000 points — just make sure to redeem your points within 90 days of making the purchase.
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card - This no annual fee card comes with a 20,000 mile welcome bonus (worth $200) once you spend $1,000 within the first 3 months. When you use your card for travel purchases (e.g. baggage fees), use your miles to pay off all, or part of, your statement! This is why we like this card.|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card - The "big brother" card to the VentureOne® with a larger 50,000 welcome bonus (worth $500), when you spend $3,000 within the first 3 months.|
Can I Pre-Pay for Baggage?
Interjet does allow passengers the ability to pre-pay luggage online. To pre-pay, log-in to your booking and add the number of bags that you would like to purchase — up to 5 for standard luggage and up to 7 pieces for special luggage.
To see more airline baggage fees and policies, click here.