Rakuten, the world’s largest cash-back platform, is back with its best-ever welcome bonus for new users. The referral bonus allows both parties to earn either $40 or 4,000 Amex Membership Rewards points.
Rakuten is an excellent (and easy) way to earn cash-back or Amex MR points on your everyday purchases. So, if you haven’t signed up yet, this is a great time to do so.
Here are the details of the promotion, along with how you can utilize Rakuten to score some extra points or cash-back on your next online shopping trip.
$40 Referral Deal
Through November 17, 2022, existing members can qualify for a $40 referral bonus (or 4,000 Amex Membership Rewards points) when anyone you refer signs up using your referral link and makes a qualifying purchase totaling at least $40 within 90 days of signing up.
If you’re not already using Rakuten, you can sign up here to earn the $40 bonus.
Qualifying purchases can be anything from signing up for a streaming service to buying a $40 gift card to your favorite store, essentially getting the gift card for free if you choose the cash-back option. However, many readers prefer to receive American Express Membership Rewards points instead to get even more value.
Hot Tip: Not familiar with Rakuten? Check out our complete guide to the Rakuten platform (formerly known as Ebates) to learn how it can earn points or cash-back on purchases you’re planning to make anyway!
Rakuten Travel Week
Rakuten offers cash-back at thousands of retailers and many of those are travel-related. That means you can get some extra savings or points on your next trip.
Right now is Rakuten Travel Week which means there are elevated offers at some of the most popular travel retailers from hotels to car rentals, cruises, airfare, and more!
Here are some of the better cash-back travel offers:
- Expedia: Up to 10% cash-back/10x Membership Rewards points (was 3%)
- Hotels.com: Up to 10% cash-back/10x Membership Rewards points (was 1%)
- Orbitz: Up to 10% cash-back/10x Membership Rewards points (was 3.5%)
- Travelocity: Up to 10% cash-back/10x Membership Rewards points (was 3.5%)
- Vrbo: $20 cash-back/2,000 Membership Rewards points (was $10)
- Hotwire: Up to 6% cash-back/6x Membership Rewards points (was 3%)
- Marriott Bonvoy: 3% cash-back/3x Membership Rewards points
- Hertz: 2.5% cash-back/2.5x Membership Rewards points
- MGM Resorts: 2.5% cash-back/2.5x Membership Rewards points
- Best Western: 2% cash-back/2x Membership Rewards points
Other retailers are offering bonuses as well, including:
- Nike: 10% cash-back/10x Membership Rewards points (was 1.5%)
- Groupon: 8% cash-back/8x Membership Rewards points (was 4%)
- Macy’s: 6% cash-back/6x Membership Rewards points (was 2%)
- Shein: 6% cash-back/6x Membership Rewards points (was 2%)
- Walmart: Up to 4% cash-back/4x Membership Rewards points (was 2%)
Once you’ve selected a retailer to shop with, you must click the link through Rakuten.com to your chosen store right before you make your purchase. You won’t earn cash-back if you go to the shopping site directly.
You’ll earn cash-back or Membership Rewards points in addition to any cash-back or points you might earn by using your rewards credit card.
Hot Tip: Make sure to review your available Amex Offers, Chase Offers, and Citi Merchant Offers before your purchase as those deals should stack!
Bottom line, using Rakuten is a no-brainer if you are already planning on doing some online shopping. You get the same price as you normally would, but you receive cash-back or points as well.
If you haven’t already joined Rakuten, now is a perfect time to sign up as you can earn $40 in cash-back or 4,000 Amex Membership Rewards points (worth $88 based on our valuations) after making a $40 purchase!
Featured Image Credit: