U.P. Rating ? The rating for this card has been determined by our own industry experts who are immersed in the credit card world. Please see our card rating methodology here. Bonuses, rewards as well as rates and fees are all taken into account. Compensation from the issuer does not affect our rating. We only recommend products we either use ourselves or endorse.
"Earn 4X Membership Rewards points at restaurants and U.S. supermarkets."
Learn More (at Amex's secure site)
While the American Express® Gold Card might be the little brother to the benefit-packed, and more expensive, The Platinum Card® from American Express, it certainly still holds its own as a top-notch travel rewards card.
The Amex Gold card is a powerful point-earner, especially when it comes to dining and grocery purchases, and it even offers an annual dining credit. So if you love food and travel (and who doesn’t) then the Amex Gold card might be the perfect card for you.
Hot Tip: Check to see if you’re eligible for a welcome bonus offer of up to 90,000 points with the Amex Gold card! (The current public offer is 60,000 points.)
- Welcome Bonus & Info (Partner Content)
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, plus takeout and delivery in the U.S., and earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Satisfy your cravings and earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the American Express® Gold Card at Grubhub, The Cheesecake Factory, Goldbelly, Wine.com, Milk Bar and select Shake Shack locations. Enrollment required.
- Choose the color that suits your style. Gold or Rose Gold.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
Rates & Fees
- Bonus Valuation:* $1,320
- Earn 4x Membership Rewards points per $1 at restaurants worldwide, plus takeout and delivery in the U.S.
- Earn 4x Membership Rewards points per $1 at U.S. supermarkets, up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, and 1x thereafter
- Earn 3x Membership Rewards points per $1 on flights purchased directly with airlines or at Amex Travel
- Up to $120 annual dining credit: up to $10 monthly statement credit when you pay with the Amex Gold card at Grubhub, The Cheesecake Factory, Goldbelly, Wine.com, Milk Bar and select Shake Shack locations
- Access to Amex Offers
- Trip delay insurance
- Baggage insurance
- No foreign transaction fees (rates and fees)
- Access to the American Express Hotel Collection
- Access to American Express transfer partners
- $250 annual fee (rates and fees)
- Does not offer elite benefits like airport lounge access
*This bonus value is an estimated valuation calculated by UP and not the card issuer.
Current Welcome Offer
Earn 60,000 points when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 6 months.
Don’t Get If
- You don’t spend much money on the cards bonus categories or travel much
- You prefer a more premium card that offers airport lounge access or hotel elite status (such as the Amex Platinum)
Great Card If
- You spend a lot on groceries, dining out, and airfare
- You want a card that earns flexible rewards
- You’re easily able to make use of the cards annual dining credit and benefits
Apply for The Amex Gold Card
For the rates and fees of the American Express® Gold Card, click here.