Edited by: Keri Stooksbury
We may be compensated when you click on product links, such as credit cards, from one or more of our advertising partners. Terms apply to the offers below. See our Advertising Policy for more about our partners, how we make money, and our rating methodology. Opinions and recommendations are ours alone.
As noted by One Mile at a Time, Azores Airlines, an airline primarily operating out of the Azores islands, is starting 3 new flights to North America … but not from the Azores. Instead, the flights will be operated from Porto, Portugal.
Where Are the Azores?
The Azores are an autonomous region of Portugal situated in the Atlantic Ocean. Azores Airlines primarily operates flights from Ponta Delgada Airport (PDL) in the Azores to the U.S., Bermuda, Europe, and Cape Verde, but will soon be launching flights from the “mainland” in Porto, Portugal.
Azores Airlines will be adding 3 new flights from Porto to Boston, New York, and Toronto, all operating on a daytime schedule. Each flight will depart very early from Europe, arrive in each city in the morning, and then make a next-day return trip back to Europe, leaving late morning, and arriving late into the evening in Europe.
The timing is extremely interesting:
- Most Europe to North America departures do not leave at 6 a.m., so this might be an interesting flight for those looking to get to Boston, New York, or Toronto earlier in the day.
- Most daytime flights from North America are to London, and a few have recently started to Paris. These new flights to Porto will add another daytime flying option, great for beating jet lag.
Porto to Toronto will start on June 1, 2024:
- Depart Porto (OPO) at 6:00 a.m., arrive into Toronto (YYZ) at 9:35 a.m.
- Depart Toronto (YYZ) at 11:05 a.m., arrive into Porto (OPO) at 11:50 p.m.
Porto to Boston will commence service on June 4, 2024:
- Depart Porto (OPO) at 6:25 a.m., arrive into Boston (BOS) at 9:35 a.m.
- Depart Boston (BOS) at 11:05 a.m., arrive into Porto (OPO) at 11:00 p.m.
Port to New York will commence on June 6, 2024:
- Depart Porto (OPO) at 6:00 a.m., arrive into New York (JFK) at 9:35 a.m.
- Depart New York (JFK) at 11:05 a.m., arrive into Porto (OPO) at 11:35 p.m.
All 3 flights will only operate once a week, flying to North America on Saturdays and to Europe on Fridays. If you’re wondering why this may be an awkward schedule, the aircraft will be utilized for flights to the Azores, so the timing works nicely.Hot Tip:
All flights will feature a business class and economy class cabin, however, the business class cabin does not have lie-flat seats. Instead, it features recliner-style seats, similar to what you’d see domestically.
All 3 flights offer new ways to get to Europe, and, more importantly, interesting timings that are different from most schedules. You may wish to consider bookings these flights if you’re making summer 2024 travel plans.
Featured Image Credit: Azores Airlines
Was this page helpful?
INSIDERS ONLY: UP PULSE™
Travel is changing fast... Stay on top of all the points strategies, exclusive offers & pivotal news - and lock in huge savings along the way.
Disclaimer: Any comments listed below are not from the bank advertiser, nor have they been reviewed or approved by them. No responsibility will be taken by the bank advertiser for these comments.
UP's Bonus Valuation
This bonus value is an estimated valuation calculated by UP after analyzing redemption options, transfer partners, award availability and how much UP would pay to buy these points.