The American Express® Business Gold Card is excellent at racking up rewards for your business spend.
The card earns a whopping 4x points per $1 in the 2 categories (from a list of 6) that your business spends the most money on each month. With no need to opt-in or preselect your categories, so you can focus on what matters most — running your business.
Hot Tip: Check to see if you’re eligible for a huge welcome bonus offer of up to 110,000 points with the Amex Business Gold card! The current public offer is 70,000 points. (This targeted offer was independently researched and may not be available to all applicants.)
- 4x Membership Rewards points per $1 on the 2 categories where your business spends the most:
- Airfare purchased from airlines
- U.S. purchases for advertising in select media
- U.S. purchases made from select technology providers of computer hardware, software, and cloud solutions
- U.S. purchases at gas stations
- U.S. purchases at restaurants
- U.S. purchases for shipping
- 25% airline bonus when using Pay With Points
- Access to Amex’s The Hotel Collection
- Purchase protection and extended warranty protection
- Trip delay insurance
- Car rental insurance
- $295 annual fee (rates and fees)
- No elite travel benefits like airport lounge access or elite status
Amex Business Gold Card — Snapshot
- Welcome Bonus & Info (Partner Content)
- Welcome Offer: Earn 70,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership.*
- MORE REWARDS: Get 4X Membership Rewards® points on the 2 select categories where your business spent the most each month. 1X is earned for other purchases.**
- **4X points apply to the first $150,000 in combined purchases from these 2 categories each calendar year.*
- PAY OVER TIME OPTION: Decide whether you want to pay eligible purchases in full each month—or pay over time with interest.*
- *Terms Apply
- Card Categories:
- Rewards Center
- Customer Service Number
- Login Link
- Related Articles
Great Card If
- Your business spends a lot of money on 1 or more of the card’s 6 bonus categories
- You want a card that earns transferable rewards
- You want a card that offers purchase protection and warranty protection
Don't Get If
- You want a card with a lower or no annual fee
- You prefer a card that offers cash-back rewards
- The bonus categories don’t fit your business needs
Amex Business Gold Card — Fees
- Annual Fee
- Foreign Transaction Fees
- Interest Rates
- Late fees
- $39 or 2.99% of any past due Pay in Full amount, whichever is greater.
- Penalty APR: 29.99% Variable
- Additional Info
Amex Business Gold Card - Is It Worth It?
The Amex Business Gold card is a perfect fit for small business owners who have significant spending in 1 or more of the card’s 6 bonus categories, and want a card that will help them rack up the points on those purchases.
Since the 4x point earnings apply to the first $150,000 in combined purchases from these 2 categories each calendar year, those who are able to meet this spend threshold can earn a whopping 600,000 Amex Membership Rewards points per year — worth $13,200 based on our valuations.
Further, the card is a great option for traveling business owners as it doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees (rates and fees).
Amex Business Gold Card Top Benefits
Pay With Points Airline Bonus
When you book a flight through American Express Travel and pay using your Amex Membership Rewards points, you’ll get 25% of those points back.
You can use this perk when you book first class or business class tickets with any airline, or towards any ticket with your selected airline from a list of qualifying airlines. Keep in mind that you’re limited to up to 250,000 points back per calendar year.
The Hotel Collection Access
When you book your hotel through Amex The Hotel Collection, you’ll get a $100 hotel credit to spend on qualifying dining, spa, and resort activities, plus a room upgrade when available.
Your card offers protections to keep you covered when things go wrong:
- Baggage Insurance: If your luggage is lost, damaged, or stolen, you can be covered up to $1,250 for carry-on baggage and up to $500 for checked baggage.
- Rental Car Insurance: Get secondary rental car coverage towards theft or damage to the vehicle when you pay for your rental with your card.
- Trip Delay Insurance: When you purchase a round-trip flight with your card and it is delayed by more than 12 hours, you can receive up to $500 in coverage towards eligible expenses.
- Extended Warranty Protection: This coverage adds an additional year of warranty coverage to your purchased items with coverage of 5 years or less.
- Purchase Protection: If an item purchased with your card is damaged or stolen within 90 days or purchase, you can receive up to $1,000 in coverage per occurrence, up to $50,000 per calendar year.
Best Ways To Earn and Redeem Your Amex Points
It’s no secret that Amex Membership Rewards points are some of the most valuable points out there. While the Amex Business Gold card is great at earning them, there are many other options out there for you to earn even more Membership Rewards points.
Once you’re sitting on a large balance of points, you’ll want to learn the best ways to redeem your Membership Rewards points so that you can make sure you’re getting great value out of each redemption.
If you’re hoping to redeem your points for first and business class airline tickets for pennies on the dollar, by far the best way to do that is by making strategic use of Amex travel transfer partners.
Alternative Cards to the Amex Business Gold Card
Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
This card is a great choice for those looking for a more well-rounded option. While it doesn’t earn 4x points like the Amex Business Gold card, it does earn 3x points per $1 on up to $150,000 in combined purchases on travel, shipping, ad purchases made with social media sites or search engines, internet, cable, and phones services. You’ll earn those points on every category — instead of 2 with the Amex Business Gold card.
See how these cards compare: Amex Business Gold Card vs. Ink Business Preferred Card
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
If you prefer a cash back credit card, then the Amex Blue Business Cash card could be a great option for you. The card offers 2% cash-back on all eligible purchases on up to $50,000 per calendar year, then 1%.
We’ve also compared the Amex Business Gold card with some other credit cards:
The information regarding the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express was independently collected by Upgraded Points and not provided nor reviewed by the issuer.
For rates and fees of the American Express® Business Gold Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the American Express® Gold Card, click here.
For rates and fees of The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, click here.
For rates and fees of The Plum Card® from American Express, click here.
Featured Image Credit:
Frequently asked questions
What is the annual fee on the Amex Business Gold card?
The annual fee is $295. However, you can easily get thousands of dollars in value per year by maximizing the card’s perks and benefits.
Is the Amex Business Gold card worth it?
It absolutely can be! If you're a small business owner who has a significant level of spend in 1 of the 6 bonus categories (such as advertising on Facebook or Google Ads), and would benefit from card perks like purchase protection and extended warranty coverage, then the card might be a great fit for you.
How do I qualify for the Amex Business Gold card?
Any small business owner, including sole-proprietors, freelancers, and independent contractors, is eligible to apply for a business credit card. Your approval will depend on factors including your credit score (which we strongly suggest should be 700+), years in business, and annual revenue.
Does the Amex Business Gold card charge foreign transaction fees?
No, there are no foreign transaction fees when using the card.
Is the Amex Business Gold card metal?
Yes, it's a heavy metal card.
Does the Amex Business Gold card come with airport lounge access?
What is the credit limit for the Amex Business Gold card?
There is no "preset" credit limit as it can change every month depending on factors like your spending habits and how much (and how fast) you pay off your balance. Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing how much you'll be able to spend before applying.
How can I get the 100,000-point welcome bonus offer for the Amex Business Gold card?
Unfortunately, this offer is not public anymore and was only available for a short time. Instead, you can expect welcome offers of 35,000 to 70,000 points. You can check your current offer here.
Jarrod has been writing about the ins and outs of credit cards and loyalty programs, along with airlines and hotels, for over 6 years. He is regularly called upon to share his expertise on the latest news within the space, and has been featured in publications such as The New York Times
, and Yahoo! Finance
. Jarrod has over 20 credit cards in his wallet
and has tested out dozens more in order to vet the very best card options for readers. As he is constantly sampling new cards, Jarrod also earns (and redeems) over 1 million points and miles each year
. This allows him to book luxury travel experiences the world over, and save tens of thousands of dollars in the process.
Disclaimer: Any comments listed below are not from the bank advertiser, nor have they been reviewed or approved by them. No responsibility will be taken by the bank advertiser for these comments.