Table of Contents
We received over 2,000 submissions from travel junkies and movie gurus everywhere and after careful review, we have made our decision! We are happy to announce that we have selected Rachel Baird-Alahmad as the best candidate to Get Paid to Watch Wanderlust movies!
Rachel’s teaching background made her a fabulous candidate for this job and we could see her passion for travel through her submission! Her travel experiences made her love of adventure clear to us, and we can’t wait to see how she approaches analyzing these travel movies!
My favorite trip was when I went to Peru. It was my first time outside of the US, and I had no idea what to expect. I loved seeing all of the historical places like Machu Picchu, that I had read about in school, but I was amazed at all the other stuff Peru had to offer that I had not read about. The floating Uros Islands on Lake Titicaca were incredible, and I couldn’t believe how low the sky looked. Lake Titicaca is the highest navigable lake in the world (the surface is at about 12,500 feet), so the sky seemed breathtakingly low. I like to go skiing, so I’ve been on mountains before, but the highest I had been to in my area was around 3,000 feet–only a quarter of the height of Lake Titicaca! I also loved the variety of landscapes in Peru. They seemed to have almost everything: The Amazon Rainforest, The Andes Mountains, The Sechura Desert, and beaches on the Pacific Ocean. The food was delicious, and the people were so friendly and welcoming. I enjoyed learning about their culture from the tour guide, but I wish I could have stayed longer to get to know the culture by mixing with the local people in an authentic way instead of just being on a tour the whole time. Before this trip, I had never left the US and only dreamed of visiting places I saw on tv or read about in movies. This trip showed me that it really was possible and that experiencing the culture and seeing the places with my own eyes is far superior to just reading about them in a book or seeing them in a movie. There is so much more to see in Peru, and I dream about going back the same way I dreamt of going for the first time. I am more seasoned as a traveler, and I would love to have an authentic experience by meeting local people without a tour guide.
Like you, we’ve been hunkered down and staying home for months. Recently we’ve been getting creative with how we give ourselves a mental break and explore the world from the comfort of our living room. One of our favorite ways is by watching movies filmed in inspiring places that make us want to pack a bag as soon as it’s safe to do so!
That’s why we’re looking for someone to help us with a project to compare some of our favorite movies that inspire wanderlust. We’re enlisting someone to binge-watch 9 movies, looking at the scenery, themes, characters, and more; plus, you get $1,000.
Who We’re Looking For
We’re looking for a fellow traveler to watch 9 movies. These movies will be set in inspiring places or be telling the story of a journey. In addition to watching the movies, you’ll be asked to take notes and track specific details in each of the movies.
The ideal applicant will have:
- A true love of travel and exploration
- A love for all things cinema
- Attention to detail so you’ll be able to identify the best locations where the movie is set
- The ability and availability to binge-watch 9 movies and their remakes in a short amount of time
- Active social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter
Additionally, applicants must be 18 years or older and a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to apply.
What You’ll Need To Do
We’ve narrowed the list of wanderlust movies to 9 that you’ll be asked to binge-watch in a month:
- Under the Tuscan Sun
- Eat, Pray, Love
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- National Lampoon’s Vacation
- Out of Africa
- Catch Me If You Can
- Midnight in Paris
- The Italian Job (2003)
- Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
You’ll receive a separate worksheet for each movie as you watch. You’ll also be asked to chronicle your binge-watching journey on Facebook and Twitter. All movies will need to be watched and all worksheets will need to be completed by January 15, 2021.
What You’ll Get
In addition to the $1,000 payment, we’ll provide an Amazon gift card to rent all of the movies on the list.
How To Apply
Fill out the application below and tell us why you’re the perfect person for this job. The your level of enthusiasm for travel will be a strong factor for consideration, so provide what you need to demonstrate how and why you love to travel. The deadline for submissions is December 4, 2020. We’ll select and notify the winner by December 10th, 2020.
Terms & Conditions
The rules of the competition and the prize for the winner are as follows:
- The promoter of this competition is UpgradedPoints whose principal office is located at 411 W Monroe Street, Austin, Texas 78704.
- Employees of UpgradedPoints or their family members or anyone else connected in any way with the competition or helping to set up the competition shall not be permitted to enter the competition.
- Persons must be at least 18 years old, or otherwise have reached the age of majority under the laws of the state where you reside, in order to participate.
- Only residents of the United States are eligible to participate.
- VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
- There is NO ENTRY FEE AND NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER THIS COMPETITION. Any purchase or consideration otherwise given by entrants will not improve one’s chances of winning.
- Route to entry for the competition and details of how to enter are available via www.UpgradedPoints.com. Individuals may enter to win by clicking on the participation link on UpgradedPoints’s website. Upon clicking the participation link, entrants will be asked to provide their name and contact information so that UpgradedPoints can notify the winner of the results.
- Closing date for entry will be December 4, 2020. After this date, no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- Only one winner will be selected from the entire pool of eligible entries. The selection process will be at the discretion of UpgradedPoints. The winner will be required to complete certain tasks designated by UpgradedPoints. If the winner does not follow through with the tasks required of them, they will not receive the cash prize of $1,000.
- The winner will be notified by email and/or letter within 3 days at the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 1 day of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- The winner specifically acknowledges that the welcome package shall be provided and fulfilled by UpgradedPoints, and that the contest is in no way affiliated with the movies included in the contest.
- UpgradedPoints will notify the winner when and where the prize can be collected.
- The winner will receive a welcome package in the mail.
- No cash alternative to the prize will be offered. The prize is not transferable. Prizes are subject to availability and UpgradedPoints reserves the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
- The winner agrees to the use of his/her name and image in any publicity material. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current federal and state data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
- The winner’s name will be available 28 days after the closing date by sending a stamped addressed envelope to the following address:
- 411 W Monroe Street, Austin, Texas 78704.
- UpgradedPoints’ decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.