Icelandair has a pretty standard baggage policy. Most fare types get 1 checked bag and 1 carry-on; however, Saga Premium Flex passengers get 2 pieces for checked and carry-on.
Extra baggage is reasonably priced, but watch out for oversized luggage as the airline does not disclose their oversized baggage fees.
Table of contents
Table of Contents
Icelandair Carry-On Allowance
1 personal item: FREE
Standard carry-on bag:
- Economy Light, Standard, and Flex and Saga Premium: 1 FREE
- Saga Premium Flex: 2 FREE
Size and Weight Restrictions
- Personal: No weight limit disclosed and 15.7 x 11.8 x 5.9 inches (40 x 30 x 15 cm)
- Carry-On: 22 pounds (10 kg) and 21.6 x 15.7 x 7.8 inches (55 x 40 x 20 cm)
* Saga Premium Flex passengers may be asked to check their second piece of carry-on but no charges would apply.
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- Infants are not permitted any carry-on allowance, so any items would need to be carried in the adult’s carry-on.
Stroller Check Policy
- Passengers may check a stroller, car seat, or carrying basket free of charge. Passengers may also bring 1 checked bags for an infant (weight is dependent on the adult’s fare type).
Icelandair Checked Baggage Allowance
Individual checked bags may not exceed maximum linear dimensions of 62 inches (158 cm) including handles and wheels. Checked bags can weigh either 50 pounds (23 kg) or 70 pounds (32 kg) depending on the fare type.
- Saga Premium Flex: 2 bags, 70 pounds (32 kg) each
- Saga Premium: 2 bags, 70 pounds (32 kg) each
- Economy Flex: 1 bag, 50 pounds (23 kg)
- Economy Standard: 1 bag, 50 pounds (23 kg)
- Economy Light: 0 bags (available to purchase)
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases worldwide.
Additional/Excess Baggage Fees
The following fees are the airport rates for additional and excess baggage. If pre-purchased online, a 20% discount applies for extra luggage. A maximum of 3 extra bags can be purchased at the discounted rate and any further bags would be charged at the airport rate. Up to 10 bags can be checked per passenger.
|Baggage type||Iceland – Europe||Iceland – U.S./Canada||Europe – U.S./Canada|
Up to 50 pounds (23kg)
50-70 pounds (23-32kg)
Icelandair does not disclose oversized fees but luggage that exceeds 62 linear inches could be charged. Contact Icelandair directly to query oversized fees.
For baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment, musical instruments, etc.) please refer to Icelandair’s policy.
Can I Pre-Pay for Baggage?
Icelandair does allow passengers the ability to pre-pay luggage online to receive 20% off of the airport prices. This applies to flights that don’t involve another airline. Passengers can also pay for baggage when checking in, but baggage will be charged at a higher rate.
To pre-pay, log-in to your booking and add the number of bags that you would like to purchase.
Credit Cards That Wipe Away Your Baggage Fees
Icelandair doesn’t yet offer a U.S. credit card that offers free baggage, but not all hope is lost.
Charge your Icelandair baggage fees to the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card. Then, you can use the card’s awesome Purchase Eraser tool to effectively “erase” the purchase from your statement using your credit card points.
This tool lets you redeem your points at a rate of 1 cent per point towards any travel purchases within 90 days of making the transaction. For example, a $59 extra bag fee would cost 5,900 points when redeeming through the Purchase Eraser — not too bad considering you’ll pay $0 out of pocket.
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card - This no annual fee card comes with a 20,000 mile welcome bonus (worth $200) once you spend $1,000 within the first 3 months. When you use your card for travel purchases (e.g. baggage fees), use your miles to pay off all, or part of, your statement! This is why we like this card.|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card - The "big brother" card to the VentureOne® with a larger 50,000 welcome bonus (worth $500), when you spend $3,000 within the first 3 months.|
Exclusions and Waivers
Saga Gold and Saga Silver members: 1 additional bag is permitted (weight allowance depends on the fare type)
To see more airline baggage fees and policies, click here.