Frontier has announced that the airline will be dropping its checked luggage allowance from 50 pounds to 40 pounds moving forward.
This new allowance may or may not impact an upcoming flight you have with Frontier, so in this post, we will break down how this change is going into effect, and what fees will be associated with it.
Frontier Baggage Allowance Drops to 40 Pounds
While this is certainly an unwelcome change to Frontier flyers, it does put the airline in line with the other 2 major low-cost carriers, Allegiant and Spirit, both of whom already limit checked bags to 40 pounds.
Here is how Frontier is rolling out this change:
- Tickets purchased before January 18, 2022, will still have an allowance of 50 pounds
- Tickets purchased on or after January 18, 2022, for travel before March 1, 2022, will still have an allowance of 50 pounds
- Tickets purchased on or after January 18, 2022, for travel on or after March 1, 2022, will now have a maximum allowance of 40 pounds
Given that, if you recently purchased a Frontier flight for travel that will take place after March 1, 2022, you will be subject to excess baggage fees if your checked bag weighs more than 40 pounds.
Here is a look at what those fees will look like:
- Bags weighing 41 to 50 pounds will be charged $50 per bag, per direction
- Bags weighing 51 to 100 pounds will be charged $100 per bag, per direction
- Bags weighing more than 100 pounds will not be accepted
Additional details regarding Frontier’s baggage policy can be viewed on Frontier’s website, along with a bag price checker for new and existing trips.
Hot Tip: See our complete guide to Frontier Airlines’ baggage fees and tips to cover the expenses.
Now, the low-cost carrier doesn’t just offer low fares, Frontier also offers a low checked bagged allowance — relative to other airlines, that is. This shouldn’t come as a huge surprise, though, as changes like this are about par for the course when it comes to budget airlines.
That said, if you have upcoming travel with Frontier, you need to make sure you are aware of these changes and plan accordingly. Otherwise, those who think they still have 50 pounds of luggage allowance will be in for a rude awakening when they arrive to the airport and are informed that they have to pay $50 per bag, per direction, for each member in their party.
Featured Image Credit:
Idanupong via Adobe Stock