While Allegiant Air offers budget base ticket pricing, you’re likely to owe more than you might expect in baggage fees. For example, Allegiant charges a fee for standard carry-on luggage, which increases the longer you wait to purchase.
It’s also important to note the max weight for a checked bag is 40 pounds (compared to the general average of 50 pounds) and the same time sensitive fees apply for purchasing checked baggage.
Allegiant Air’s baggage policy isn’t overly confusing, it’s just pricey. Essentially, for the cheapest possible outcome, know the number of bags you’re planning to bring (keeping in mind the decreased weight allowance) and pay for them at your initial booking.
Table of contents
Table of Contents
Allegiant Carry-On Allowance
1 personal item: FREE
1 standard carry-on: for purchase
- At Booking: $18 – $30 (route dependent)
- Pre-Departure: $45
- At the airport (ticket counter): $50
- At the Gate: up to $75
Oversized personal item fee: $50-$75
Size Restrictions (weight restrictions undisclosed)
- Personal: 16 x 15 x 7 inches (40.6 x 38.1 x 17.8 cm)
- Standard: 22 x 14 x 9 inches (55.9 x 35.6 x 22.9 cm)
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- 1 diaper bag is permitted, in addition to the adult passenger’s carry-on allowance
Stroller Check Policy
- Each fare-paying passenger is allowed to take one car seat and/or 1 stroller to the boarding gate to be checked free of charge, or may check these at the ticket counter.
Allegiant Checked Baggage Allowance
All checked bags must adhere to a max weight of 40 pounds (18 kg) and max linear dimensions of 80 inches (203 cm). Passengers may check up to 4 bags.
1-4 Bags: $18-$41 each (varies depending on route)
1-4 Bags: $45 each
1-4 Bags: $50 each
Additional / Excess Baggage Fees
Overweight Fee 40-70 pounds (18-32 kg): $50
Overweight Fee 71-100 pounds (32.2-45.4 kg): $75
Oversized Fee: $75
Can I Pre-pay for Baggage?
Allegiant Air does allow passengers the ability to pre-pay for luggage online or via the mobile app.
Here are the ways you can pre-pay:
- Log in to the ‘Manage Travel’ section on Allegiant’s website.
- Log in to your booking on Allegiant’s mobile app.
Credit Cards That Reimburse You For Checked Bag Fees
Allegiant Air requires you to pay for every checked bag, but you can offset that cost with one of the cards below.
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card - This no annual fee card comes with a 20,000 bonus mile offer after spending $500 in the first 3 months. When you use your card for travel purchases (e.g. baggage fees), use your miles to pay off all, or part of, your statement balance! We've highlighted 30+ benefits of the card.|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card - The "big brother" card to the VentureOne with a 100,000 bonus miles when you spend $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or still earn 50,000 miles if you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. This card is full of benefits and perks and you can redeem your miles on travel (flights, hotels, even paying for baggage fees etc) or transfer your miles to over 10+ travel loyalty programs.|
Exclusions & Waivers
- Active duty, reserve duty, and veteran members of the U.S. Army, Marine Corps., Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, Public Health Service Commissioned Corps., National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Officer Corps., with valid identification: 1 standard carry-on bag free (within size limits) and 2 checked bags free (must weigh less than 100 pounds / 45.3 kg). No charge for oversized checked luggage (must not exceed 115 linear inches).
- Dependents qualify for the same benefits if traveling on the same itinerary.