When flying Norwegian Airlines, checked baggage is included for all fares excluding LowFare.
When you require additional baggage, the trick to saving primarily comes with booking your baggage online before reaching the airport, which you can do up to 6 hours before departure. You can also become a Norwegian Reward member and use points to pay for extra baggage.
Norwegian’s baggage policy was updated 23 January 2020, so if you purchased a ticket before this date, you can view the previous policy here.
Update: As of January 15, 2021, Norwegian Air has discontinued its international long-haul service.
Norwegian Air Carry-on Allowance
1 Personal Item: FREE for all fares (10 kg maximum)
1 Carry-on Item:
- LowFare: No standard carry-on (available to purchase from $5.50-$10)
- LowFare+: 1 standard carry-on (10 kg combined with personal item)
- Flex, Premium, and PremiumFlex: 1 standard carry-on (15 kg combined with personal item)
- Personal: 15 x 11.8 x 7.9 inches (38 x 30 x 20 cm)
- Carry-on: 21.6 x 15.7 x 9 inches (55 x 40 x 23 cm)
Norwegian is very clear on their policy about in-cabin luggage weight restrictions. They report that by making sure every passenger stays within their allowance, they can avoid delays from having to offload excess carry-on luggage that’s outside of the limits.
What happens if you’re over the limit? Norwegian reports you’ll need to check your carry-on into the aircraft hold at an extra fee:
- Domestic: $65
- International: $105
- Domestic/domestic: $130
- Domestic/international: $170
- International/international: $210
Norwegian’s policy also states if you’ve already checked in two items of baggage, you’ll then be charged an excess baggage fee of $15 per kilo, per leg.
Lap Infant Carry-on Policy:
- There is no carry-on baggage allowance for infants on Norwegian flights, but baby food and milk/formula required for the flight can be brought onboard.
Stroller Check Policy:
- 1 stroller and 1 car seat are permitted to be checked, in addition to 11 pounds (5 kg) of checked baggage that can be packed separately or within the adult’s luggage.
Norwegian Air Checked Baggage Allowance
Norwegian’s checked baggage size restrictions are a little confusing on their website, so we called them to clarify. The bag should not exceed a max linear dimension of 118 inches (300 cm) L + W + H, but one side can measure up to 98.4 inches (250 cm). So you could have a long skinny bag.
- LowFare: 0 bags included
- Lowfare+: 1 bag included (50 pounds/23 kg)
- Flex: 2 bags included (50 pounds/23 kg each)
- Infant: 1 bag (11 pounds/5 kg)
Additional/Excess Baggage Fees
- Direct flights: 1st bag from $18.50 – $60, 2nd bag from $33 – $93
- Connecting flights: 1st bag from $37 – $120, 2nd bag from $65.50 – $185
The cost of pre-paid additional baggage depends on the specific route. Please see Norwegian’s City Pair List and pricing table to calculate the fees for your journey.
Purchased at the airport:
- Direct domestic: $54
- Direct international: $98
- Connecting domestic: $110
- Connecting domestic – international: $153
- Connecting international – international: $196
- Overweight: Items over 50 pounds (23 kg) are $13 per kg, per leg. Must not exceed 70 pounds (32 kg) per bag; must not exceed 141 pounds (64 kg) combined total
- Oversized: Must not exceed 98 x 31 x 44 inches (250 x 79 x 112 cm) L x W x H
Excess baggage charges apply to any items over the 1 or 2 bag allowance (depending on your fare type), and to baggage that exceeds the weight limit of 50 pounds (23 kg). Passengers are permitted to check a maximum of 2 bags (included allowance or pre-paid) and any additional baggage will be considered excess.
Baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment)
- Range from $40-$60 (booked online) and $52-$92 (booked at airport).
Each item must not exceed 70 pounds (32 kg) or be lighter than 4.5 pounds (2 kg) with a maximum size of 98 x 31 x 44 (250 x 79 x 112 cm) L x H x W and maximum circumference of 118 inches (300 cm).
For specific guidance relating to sporting equipment and musical instruments as carry-on and checked luggage, see Norwegian’s policy.
Exclusions & Waivers
If you fly frequently with Norwegian Air, then joining their loyalty program Norwegian Reward can earn you CashPoints to spend on extra baggage fees, along with seat reservations and booking changes.
The more you fly, the more benefits you’ll be eligible for — including free baggage on all flights once you have reached 18 single flights (this includes stopovers).
Can I Pre-pay for Baggage?
Norwegian Air does allow passengers the ability to pre-pay for luggage online, via the mobile app, or through their call centre up to 6 hours before the flight departure.
Here are the ways you can pre-pay:
Recommended Cards That Reimburse Your Baggage Fees
Redeem Capital One miles from the following recommended cards for 1 cent each as a statement credit for previous travel purchases (within 90 days):
To see more airline baggage fees and policies, click here.
The information regarding the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card, Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card, and Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card was independently collected by Upgraded Points and not provided nor reviewed by the issuer.
Featured Image Credit:
Shutterstock.com and Norwegian.com