We may be compensated when you click on product links, such as credit cards, from one or more of our advertising partners. Terms apply to the offers below. See our Advertising Policy for more about our partners, how we make money, and our rating methodology. Opinions and recommendations are ours alone.
Update: The offer mentioned below has expired and is no longer available.
Icelandair, the flag carrier of the country of Iceland, is running a fantastic fare sale to Europe this fall, into winter. While the travel dates are limited, the prices are great for travel to Europe, so if you have a need to purchase tickets, you’ll want to take advantage quickly before this sale expires.
Logistics of the Sale
To view more information on the sale, you’ll want to visit Icelandair’s dedicated special offer page.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Travel dates run from November 1 through December 13, 2022, so you only have about 1.5 months to travel. Obviously, this is an extremely limited time period, though you may find some use over the Thanksgiving holiday period.
- This sale doesn’t require a minimum of time spent in Iceland or Europe. Traditionally, many European tickets require a Saturday night stay, or a length of stay requirement, but this sale allows you to travel for as short of a duration as you’d like.
- You can only travel to certain destinations in Europe.
- This sale ends on October 23, 2022, so time is of the essence if you’d like to book.
If you’re not familiar, Icelandair’s business model is to take passengers from the U.S. to mainland Europe via Keflavik Airport (KEF) in Reykjavík. This would mean a relatively short flight from many American cities to Iceland, a layover, and then continuing on to Europe. Icelandair actually allows you to stop over in Iceland on your way to Europe, so not only does Iceland provide a great connecting point, but it provides an opportunity to break the journey up.
Hot Tip: Icelandair offers a recliner-style business class seat in Saga Premium, so it isn’t the best for sleeping if you’re on a red-eye flight. That said, it has a host of amenities included, such as lounge access, upgraded meals, and a larger entertainment screen.
With this sale, you can travel from Baltimore (BWI), Boston (BOS), Portland (PDX), Raleigh-Durham (RDU), and Washington Dulles (IAD). Obviously, this is not an exhaustive list of all the cities Icelandair flies to, so if you’re not located in one of these places, you may want to consider purchasing a separate positioning flight to get you to one of the gateway locations.
Baltimore is likely the cheapest of the options, and these are some of the examples of the fares you can find:
- Baltimore to Amsterdam (AMS) for $999 in Saga Premium
- Baltimore to Helsinki (HEL) for $999 in Saga Premium
- Baltimore to Paris (CDG) for $999 in Saga Premium
- Baltimore to Zurich (ZRH) for $999 in Saga Premium
Economy class tickets start from just $399 round-trip.
This sale is a great price to Europe, especially considering you can fly to many popular cities throughout the continent and have a layover of several days in Iceland. While Icelandair doesn’t feature a fully-flat business class product and instead offers recliner seats, you may find the price of this sale worth it to head to Europe in comfort.
Featured Image Credit: Icelandair
Was this page helpful?
UP's Bonus Valuation
This bonus value is an estimated valuation calculated by UP after analyzing redemption options, transfer partners, award availability and how much UP would pay to buy these points.