When it comes to carry-ons, Air France has a straightforward baggage policy that could even be considered on the generous side if you’re flying in an upper class.
Their checked bag policy is a bit more complex with variable pricing based on travel dates, class of travel, and route. Since these fees are not clearly listed on the website, users are directed to the Air France baggage calculator tool for specifics.
Table of Contents
Air France / KLM Carry-On Allowance:
1 “accessory” such as a handbag or briefcase: FREE
1-2 standard carry-on bags (depending on cabin): FREE
- Economy: 1 bag (12kg / 26lb)
- Premium Economy: 2 bags (18kg / 39.7lb)
- Business: 2 bags (18kg / 39.7lb)
- La Première: 2 bags (18kg / 39.7lb)
- Personal: 40cm x 30cm x 15cm (16” x 12” x 6”)
- Standard: 55cm x 35cm x 25cm (21.7″ x 13.8″ x 9.9″)
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- If you are traveling with an infant on your lap, you can bring 1 additional small baggage item.
- It must weigh less than 12 kg (26.4 lb) and measure less than 55cm x 25cm x 35cm (21.6″ x 9.8″ x 13.7″).
Stroller Check Policy
- You can bring a fold-able stroller and car seat in the hold at no extra charge. Other strollers may be accepted in the cabin, subject to space availability. Depending on the type of stroller, the following size limits apply: Small fold-able stroller:* dimensions cannot exceed 15 cm x 30 cm x 100 cm (5.9 in x 11.8 in x 39.4 in). Other fold-able stroller: this replaces your child’s hand baggage allowance and once folded, its dimensions cannot exceed 55 cm x 35 cm x 25 cm (21.7 in x 13.8 in x 9.8 in).
* This is allowed space permitting on long-haul flights, except between metropolitan France and Cayenne, Fort-de-France, Havana, Mauritius, Pointe-à-Pitre, Punta Cana, Reunion, Saint-Martin and Santo Domingo.
Air France / KLM Checked Baggage Allowance:
All checked bags must adhere to a max weight of 23kg for Economy & Premium Economy; 32kg for Business and La Première and must adhere to max linear dimensions of 158cm.
Air France has complicated baggage allowance guidelines that are best determined by utilizing their Baggage Calculator tool. Enter the departure airport, the arrival airport, the class of travel and the date to get results for baggage allowance.
Having run a few searches using the calculator, these seem to be the general allowances for checked luggage, but be sure to double check the calculator tool for your specific route.
Economy Light: No baggage included (available to purchase only)
Economy Standard: 1 or 2 pieces dependent on the route (e.g. New York – Paris = 1 piece, Los Angles – Dubai = 2 pieces)
Premium Economy: 2 pieces
Business: 2 pieces
La Première: 3 pieces
For baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment, musical instruments, etc.) please refer to Air France’s policy here.
Credit Cards That Reimburse You For Checked Bag Fees
Get reimbursed for some of those pesky checked bag fees with Air France by using one of the cards below.
|Credit Card||Fee Reimbursement Details|
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card|
|Chase Sapphire Reserve®|
Additional / Excess Baggage Fees:
Additional & excess baggage fees also follow complicated baggage allowance guidelines that are best determined by using the Air France Baggage Calculator tool.
We ran a few example searches to give you an idea of costs to add an additional bag, but do make sure you check your specific flight using the calculator tool.
|Route||Online||At the airport|
|New York – Paris|
|Los Angeles – Dubai|
|San Francisco – The Maldives/Chicago – Hong Kong|
|Boston – Dominica|
Excess baggage costs are also fairly complicated and dependent on the flight route. We’ve tried to simplify this as best we can below but do double check using their Baggage Calculator tool.
A single piece must not exceed max linear size 300cm (118″).
|Within Europe or Europe – North Africa||$75|
|With the Caribbean||€40*|
|France – French Oversees Departments||€100|
|To/from North America||from €250|
|Europe – Middle East/India||€300|
|Any other destination||$300|
*$28 for departures from Miami or Santo Domingo.
Please note that oversized luggage needs approval from Customer Service before confirmation.
A single piece must not exceed 32kg (70lbs).
|Within Europe or Europe – North Africa||€70|
|With the Caribbean||€55*|
|France – French Oversees Departments||€100|
|To/from North America||from €85|
|Europe – Middle East/India||€75|
|Any other destination||$100|
*$75 for departures from Miami or Santo Domingo.
Overweight charges apply to Economy and Premium Economy passengers only.
Exclusions & Waivers:
As a Flying Blue member, you can use your Award Miles to check in extra baggage with a baggage award. This means that on top of the standard baggage allowance, you can take more bags and pay for them with Miles.
- If you are an Elite or Elite Plus member of Skyteam, you receive an extra allowance (10 kg for Elite, 20 kg for Elite Plus), or one additional bag where the piece concept applies. This depends on routing.