Update: The offer mentioned below has expired and is no longer available.
ITA Airways has relaunched — for the third time — the status match offer that was first made available at the end of 2021.
Since becoming the flag carrier of Italy after Alitalia’s demise, the airline has officially become a member of the SkyTeam alliance.
If you haven’t made the most of the status match offer yet, you may have luck this time around. But keep in mind that it’s not quite as simple as completing an application.
Here’s what you’ll need to do to match your status, and a look at the benefits you’ll be afforded as a result.
Matching Your Status to ITA’s Volare Program
This third installment of ITA’s status match runs through September 15, 2022.
Unlike with previous offers, this time applicants must be “in possession of an airline ticket which is simultaneously sold and operated by ITA Airways.”
This means if you’re in the U.S., and don’t have plans to be in Italy or Europe any time soon, booking a flight with ITA just for this status match may not make sense.
However, nowhere in the terms and conditions does it state that applicants must take the flight. In this regard, booking the cheapest ITA fare you can find to be able to benefit from a year of money-saving, travel-enhancing perks, might just be worth your while.
For example, a one-way flight from Bari (BRI) to Milan (LIN) from September through November 2022 can be purchased for just $47.
Status holders from no less than 22 airline programs (up from a previous 15) are eligible for the status match:
- Alitalia Millemiglia
- American Airlines AAdvantage
- ANA Mileage Club
- British Airways Executive Club
- EL AL Matmid
- Emirates Skywards
- Iberia Iberia Plus
- Lufthansa Miles & More
- Qatar Airways Privilege Club
- Royal Jordanian Royal Club
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
- SWISS Air Miles & More
- TAP Air Portugal Miles & Go
- Turkish Airlines Miles & Smiles
- United Airlines MileagePlus
The 7 additional programs to be included in the status match offer are the following:
- Air India Flying Returns
- Avianca LifeMiles
- Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Club
- Gol Airlines Smiles
- JAL Mileage Bank
- LATAM Pass
- Vistara Club Vistara
First, you’ll need to sign up for the Volare program. This requires just a few minutes of your time.
Once you’re signed up, you’ll need to send an email to [email protected] and include the following information:
- “Status Match 2022” as the email subject
- Full name
- The program and level of status you’re using to match (e.g. American Airlines AAdvantage Platinum)
- Your Volare frequent flyer number
- Ticket number of your ITA-operated flight
- A digital or physical copy of your current frequent flyer program card
- A copy of a valid form of ID in pdf or jpg format
Once your status has been matched, you’ll have your status for a full calendar year starting on April 15, 2022.
Status Match Benefits
Now that ITA has joined SkyTeam, it opens up the possibility of receiving reciprocal benefits when flying with one of the many other SkyTeam members like Delta, Air France, and KLM.
Bottom Line: SkyTeam is 1 of the 3 major global airline alliances. Check out our SkyTeam guide for the full list of participating airlines and how the alliance works.
These are the benefits you can expect from the various tiers of the Volare program when flying ITA:
- Business class check-in, priority boarding, priority luggage, additional baggage allowance
- Free seat selection in the “Club” area of the aircraft
- 10% points bonus per euro spent
- All benefits of Club Plus, as well as lounge access and access to fast-track airport security lanes
- 20% points bonus per euro spent
- All benefits of Club Plus and Club Premium
- 30% points bonus per euro spent
Status matches are a great opportunity to further leverage elite status gained by spending time and money with another airline.
It’s up to you whether you think you’d get enough value back from doing this status match when having to spend money on a ticket for a flight you probably won’t take.
Featured Image Credit: