When flying Norwegian Airlines, checked baggage is included for all fares excluding LowFare.
When you require additional baggage, the trick to saving primarily comes with booking your baggage online before reaching the airport, which you can do up to 6 hours before departure. You can also become a Norwegian Reward member and use points to pay for extra baggage.
Table of contents
Table of Contents
Norwegian Air Carry-on Allowance
1 Personal Item: FREE
1 Carry-on Item: FREE
- Personal: 25 x 33 x 20 cm
- Carry-on: 55 x 40 x 23 cm
- LowFare, LowFare+, Flex & Premium: max combined weight 10 kg
- PremiumFlex: max combined weight 15 kg
When traveling to/from Dubai, hand baggage must not exceed 8kg.
*Norwegian is very clear on their policy about in-cabin luggage weight restrictions. They report that by making sure every passenger stays within their allowance, they can avoid delays from having to offload excess carry-on luggage that’s outside of the limits.
What happens if you’re over the limit? Norwegian reports you’ll need to check your carry-on into the aircraft hold at an extra fee:
- Domestic: $75
- International: $120
- Domestic/domestic: $150
- Domestic/international: $195
- International/international: $240
Norwegian’s policy also states if you’ve already checked in two items of baggage, you’ll then be charged an excess baggage fee of $15 USD per kilo, per leg.
Lap Infant Carry-on Policy:
- There is no hand baggage allowance for infants on Norwegian flights, but baby food and milk/formula required for the flight can be brought onboard.
Stroller Check Policy:
- 1 stroller and 1 car seat are included in the amount of checked baggage
Norwegian Air Checked Baggage Allowance
Norwegian’s checked baggage size restrictions are a little confusing on their website, so we called them to clarify. The bag should not exceed a max linear dimension of 300 cm (L + W + H) but one side can measure up to 250cm. So you could have a long skinny bag.
All flights (excluding long-haul)
- LowFare: 0 bags included
- Lowfare+: 1 bag included (20 kg)
- Flex: 2 bags included (20 kg each)
- Infant: 1 bag (5kg)
International long-haul flights
- LowFare: 0 bags included
- LowFare+: 1 bag included (20 kg)
- Flex, Premium, and PremiumFlex: 2 bags included (20 kg each)
- Infant: 1 bag (5kg)
Additional/Excess Baggage Fees
- Direct flights: 1st bag from $12 – $47, 2nd bag from $20 – $86
- Connecting flights: 1st bag from $24 – $93, 2nd bag from $40 – $172
The cost of pre-paid additional baggage depends on the specific route. Please see Norwegian’s City Pair List and pricing table to calculate the fees for your journey.
Purchased at the airport:
- Direct domestic: $53
- Direct international: $93
- Connecting domestic: $106
- Connecting domestic – international: $146
- Connecting international – international: $185
- Overweight: Items over 20 kg are $12 per kg, per leg. (Must not exceed 32 kg per bag; must not exceed 64 kg combined total)
- Oversized: Must not exceed 250 x 79 x 112 cm (L x W x H)
Excess baggage charges apply to any items over the 1 or 2 bag allowance (depending on your fare type), and to baggage that exceeds the weight limit of 20 kg. Passengers are permitted to check a maximum of 2 bags (included allowance or pre-paid) and any additional baggage will be considered excess.
Baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment)
- Flights excluding international long-haul: Range from $40-$60 (booked online) and $53-$93 (booked at airport).
- For international long-haul flights: range from $66-$79 (booked online) and $79-$93 (booked at airport).
Each item must not exceed 32 kg or be lighter than 2 kg with a maximum size of 250 x 79 x 112 cm (L x H x W) and maximum circumference of 300cm.
For specific guidance relating to sporting equipment and musical instruments as carry-on and checked luggage, see Norwegian’s policy.
Can I Pre-pay for Baggage?
Norwegian Air does allow passengers the ability to pre-pay for luggage online, via the mobile app, or through their call centre up to 6 hours before the flight departure.
Here are the ways you can pre-pay:
- Log in to your booking from the ‘Add checked baggage’ area of the Norwegian Air website
- Download and log in to the Norwegian Air app
- Call the Norwegian Air contact centre on 1-800-357-4159
Recommended Cards That Reimburse Your Baggage Fees
|Credit Card||Fee Reimbursement Details|
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card|
Exclusions & Waivers
If you fly frequently with Norwegian Air, then joining their loyalty program Norwegian Reward can earn you CashPoints to spend on extra baggage fees, along with seat reservations and booking changes.
The more you fly, the more benefits you’ll be eligible for — including free baggage on all flights once you have reached 18 single flights (this includes stopovers).
Featured Image: Courtesy of Shutterstock; Logo courtesy of Norwegian