Qatar Airways has a generous baggage allowance for flights that uses the weight concept (all flights excluding to/from the Americas). The allowance for economy passengers is either 66 pounds (30 kg) or 99 pounds (45 kg), depending on the route.
Although this allowance is generous, be sure not to get stung by Qatar Airways’ pricey excess fees that are charged per kilogram and can add up quickly!
Table of contents
Table of Contents
Qatar Airways Carry-On Allowance
1 personal item: FREE
Standard carry-on bag:
- Economy Class: 1 FREE bag up to 15 pounds (7 kg)
- First Class and Business Class: 2 FREE bags with a combined total weight of 33 pounds (15 kg)
- Personal: No size limit disclosed but Qatar Airlines states that items are permitted such as a handbag or small briefcase
- Carry-On: 20 x 15 x 10 inches (50 x 37 x 25 cm)
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- Infants are not permitted any carry-on allowance, so any items would need to be carried in the adult’s carry-on.
Stroller Check Policy
- Passengers may check 1 item such as a stroller or carrying cot free of charge. For flights to/from Argentina, Brazil, Canada, and the U.S., an infant is permitted 1 piece of checked luggage up to 50 pounds (23 kg) and 45 inches (115 cm). For all other routes, the allowance is 1 x 22 pound (10 kg) bag.
Qatar Airways Checked Baggage Allowance
Depending on the route, the baggage allowance uses either a piece or weight concept. Piece concept routes are restricted to 2 pieces that must not exceed 62 inches (158 cm) each, and the weight concept routes have a maximum weight allowance with no restriction to the number of pieces.
Piece Concept Routes (Maximum Dimension of 62 Inches (158 CM) per Piece)
|Route||First Class||Business Class||Economy Class|
|Flights to and from Brazil, between Brazil and Argentina, and all other flights to and from Argentina, Canada, and the U.S.||2 x 70 pound (32 kg) bags||2 x 70 pound (32 kg) bags||2 x 50 pound (23 kg) bags|
Weight Concept Routes (Maximum Combined Dimension of 118 Inches (300 CM))
|Route||First Class||Business Class||Economy Class|
|Flights between Doha, Casablanca, and Marrakesh||132 pounds (60 kg)||132 pounds (60 kg)||99 pounds (45 kg)|
|Flights originating from Africa||143 pounds (65 kg)||143 pounds (65 kg)||99 pounds (45 kg)|
|Flights to and from all other destinations||110 pounds (50 kg)||88 pounds (40 kg)||66 pounds (30 kg)|
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases worldwide
Additional/Excess Baggage Fees
Excess luggage is available to purchase online with a saving of up to 20% compared to the rates at the airport, via the call center, or at the airline’s office.
Excess Fees for Weight Concept Routes (Per 2.2 Pounds (1 KG))
|From/To||Purchased||Africa||Europe||Far East||Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea||The Middle East,|
|Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea||Online||$55||$55||$55||$55||$40|
|The Middle East,|
|Qatar||Online||80 QAR||80 QAR||80 QAR||140 QAR||40 QAR|
|Offline||100 QAR||100 QAR||100 QAR||180 QAR||50 QAR|
Excess Fees for Piece Concept Routes (Per Piece)
- Extra piece*:
- Online: $200
- Offline: $250
- Overweight 50-70 pounds (24-32 kg):
- Online: $50
- Offline: $65
*For flights between Buenos Aires and Brazil, excess baggage fees are $75 (online) and $100 offline per piece.
For baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment, musical instruments, etc.) please refer to Qatar Airways’ policy.
Can I Pre-Pay for Baggage?
Qatar Airways does allow passengers the ability to pre-pay luggage online to receive up to 20% off the airport price. Passengers can also pay for baggage via the call center or when checking in, but baggage will be charged at a higher rate.
To pre-pay online, log-in to your booking and add the number of bags or excess weight that you would like to purchase.
Credit Cards That Wipe Away Your Baggage Fees
There are no U.S. credit cards that offer free checked bags on Qatar Airways, but you can use the Capital One® Venture® Rewards card to cover Qatar Airways baggage fees using points. To do this, pay your baggage fees with your Venture card and use the card’s Purchase Eraser tool to wipe away the fee using points.
This tool lets you wipe away any travel purchase with your Venture points at a value of 1 cent per point. For example, a $40 bag fee would cost 4,000 points. Just make sure to redeem your points within 90 days of paying a bag fee or other travel expense.
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card - This no annual fee card comes with a 20,000 mile welcome bonus (worth $200) once you spend $1,000 within the first 3 months. When you use your card for travel purchases (e.g. baggage fees), use your miles to pay off all, or part of, your statement! This is why we like this card.|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card - The "big brother" card to the VentureOne® with a larger 50,000 welcome bonus (worth $500), when you spend $3,000 within the first 3 months.|
Exclusions and Waivers
Qatar Airways Privilege Club members are eligible for increased baggage allowance:
- Silver: 22 pounds (10 kg) additional
- Gold: 33 pounds (15 kg) additional or 1 extra piece
- Platinum: 44 pounds (20 kg) additional or 1 extra piece
To see more airline baggage fees and policies, click here.