Copa Airlines has clear-cut fees for additional baggage and excess charges, which must be paid at the airport.
Checked luggage is included with all fares on Copa Airlines and 2 checked bags are permitted for all business class tickets and on international routes for economy full fares.
Table of contents
Table of Contents
Copa Airlines Carry-On Allowance
1 personal item: FREE
1 standard carry-on bag: FREE
Size and Weight Restrictions
- Personal: No weight limit disclosed and 17 x 10 x 9 inches (58 x 35 x 22 cm)
- Carry-On: 22 x 14 x 10 inches (56 x 36 x 26 cm) and 22 pounds (10 kg)
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- 1 additional item can be carried onboard such as a diaper bag, car seat, or collapsible stroller, provided they adhere to the maximum size restrictions.
Stroller Check Policy
- Passengers may check 1 item free of charge such as a stroller or car seat.
Copa Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance
Individual bags must not exceed 62 inches (158 cm).
- Economy: 1 x 50 pound (23 kg) bag
- Business class: 2 x 50 pound (23 kg) bags
- Economy promo/classic: 1 x 50 pound (23 kg) bag
- Economy full (Y, B, M): 2 x 50 pound (23 kg) bags
- Business class: 2 x 70 pound (32 kg) bags
Additional Baggage Fees
- All classes: $40
- Economy Promo/Classic:
- Second bag: $40
- Extra bag: $175
- Economy Full (Y, B, M):
- Extra bag: $175
- Business Class: $175
Excess Baggage Fees
- Domestic flights: $30 (51-70 pounds (24-32 kg))
- International flights:
- 51-70 pounds (24-32 kg): $100
- 71-100 pounds (33-45 kg): $200
Individual pieces over 70 pounds (32 kg) are not allowed on flights to/from the Bahamas and Cuba.
Oversized fee (applies to international flights only, no oversized luggage permitted for domestic flights):
- 62.6-107 inches (159-272 cm): $150
Copa Airlines has restrictions on oversized and overweight luggage for certain dates. View the embargo periods here.
For baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment, musical instruments, etc.) please refer to Copa Airlines’ policy.
Can I Pre-Pay for Baggage?
Copa Airlines, unfortunately, does not allow passengers to pre-pay luggage online. Therefore, passengers must purchase excess baggage at the airport.
Credit Cards That Wipe Away Your Baggage Fees
You’re not likely to pay baggage fees when flying Copa Airlines, but you can use the Capital One® Venture® Rewards card or Capital One® VentureOne® Card to cover any charges you do incur. Capital One’s Purchase Eraser tool lets you “erase” any type of travel charges from your statement at a rate of 1 cent per point, including baggage fees.
This means that a $40 additional bag fee would only cost 4,000 Venture points — far better than paying out of pocket. Just make sure that you erase your charges within 90 days of making the baggage purchase.
Exclusions and Waivers
- PreferMember Silver: 2 x 50 pound (23 kg) bags
- PreferMember Gold/Platinum/Presidential: 3 x 70 pound (32 kg) bags (international) and 2 x 70 pound (32 kg) bags (domestic)
- Star Alliance Gold: 3 x 70 pound (32 kg) bags (international) and 2 x 70 pound (32 kg) bags (domestic)
To see more airline baggage fees and policies, click here.