Copa Airlines has clear-cut fees for additional baggage and excess charges, which must be paid at the airport.
Checked luggage is included with all fares on Copa Airlines and 2 checked bags are permitted for all business class tickets and on international routes for economy full fares.
Copa Airlines Carry-On Allowance
1 personal item: FREE
1 standard carry-on bag: FREE
Size and Weight Restrictions
- Personal: No weight limit disclosed and 17 x 10 x 9 inches (58 x 35 x 22 cm)
- Carry-On: 22 x 14 x 10 inches (56 x 36 x 26 cm) and 22 pounds (10 kg)
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- 1 additional item can be carried onboard such as a diaper bag, car seat, or collapsible stroller, provided they adhere to the maximum size restrictions.
Stroller Check Policy
- Passengers may check 1 item free of charge such as a stroller or car seat.
Copa Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance
Individual bags must not exceed 62 inches (158 cm).
- Economy: 1 x 50 pound (23 kg) bag
- Business class: 2 x 50 pound (23 kg) bags
- Economy promo/classic: 1 x 50 pound (23 kg) bag
- Economy full (Y, B, M): 2 x 50 pound (23 kg) bags
- Business class: 2 x 70 pound (32 kg) bags
Additional Baggage Fees
- Economy Promo/Classic:
- Second bag: $40
- Extra bag: $175
- Economy Full (Y, B, M):
- Business Class: $175
Excess Baggage Fees
- Domestic flights: $30 (51-70 pounds (24-32 kg))
- International flights:
- 51-70 pounds (24-32 kg): $100
- 71-100 pounds (33-45 kg): $200
Individual pieces over 70 pounds (32 kg) are not allowed on flights to/from the Bahamas and Cuba.
Oversized fee (applies to international flights only, no oversized luggage permitted for domestic flights):
- 62.6-107 inches (159-272 cm): $150
Copa Airlines has restrictions on oversized and overweight luggage for certain dates. View the embargo periods here.
For baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment, musical instruments, etc.) please refer to Copa Airlines’ policy.
Can I Pre-Pay for Baggage?
Copa Airlines, unfortunately, does not allow passengers to pre-pay luggage online. Therefore, passengers must purchase excess baggage at the airport.
Credit Cards That Wipe Away Your Baggage Fees
You’re not likely to pay baggage fees when flying Copa Airlines, but you can use the Capital One® Venture® Rewards card or Capital One® VentureOne® Card to cover any charges you do incur. Capital One’s Purchase Eraser tool lets you “erase” any type of travel charges from your statement at a rate of 1 cent per point, including baggage fees.
This means that a $40 additional bag fee would only cost 4,000 Venture points — far better than paying out of pocket. Just make sure that you erase your charges within 90 days of making the baggage purchase.
Exclusions and Waivers
- PreferMember Silver: 2 x 50 pound (23 kg) bags
- PreferMember Gold/Platinum/Presidential: 3 x 70 pound (32 kg) bags (international) and 2 x 70 pound (32 kg) bags (domestic)
- Star Alliance Gold: 3 x 70 pound (32 kg) bags (international) and 2 x 70 pound (32 kg) bags (domestic)
To see more airline baggage fees and policies, click here.
Featured Image Credit:
Shutterstock and Copa Airlines
Frequently asked questions
How much baggage is allowed in Copa Airlines?
Copa Airlines has the following baggage allowance:
Domestic flights Economy: 1 x 50 pound (23 kg) bag
Business class: 2 x 50 pound (23 kg) bags International flights Economy Promo/Classic: 1 x 50 pound (23 kg) bag
Economy Full (Y, B, M): 2 x 50 pound (23 kg) bags
Business Class: 2 x 70 pound (32 kg) bags
How early can I check my bags Copa Airlines?
Copa Airlines allows passengers to check luggage 4 hours in advance of an international flight and 6 hours of a domestic flight.
How much is an extra bag on Copa Airlines?
Copa Airlines charges $40 for a second bag (where this is not included in the fare) and $175 for subsequent bags.
How to Beat the Crowds & Lock In Affordable Travel While You Still Can...
With lockdowns ending, the demand for travel is surging to record levels - and so are prices.
We’ll show you the strategies and tools to unlock huge savings, but that window is closing fast - so you
need to get on this right now.
Download our last-chance playbook here:
Disclaimer: Any comments listed below are not from the bank advertiser, nor have they been reviewed or approved by them. No responsibility will be taken by the bank advertiser for these comments.