Alitalia’s basic baggage policy follows a general trend: free carry-ons plus traditional inclusions for checked bags (1 for Economy, 2 for Premium Economy, Business & First).
For Alitalia, added fees get more complicated when it comes to extra pieces and overweight/oversized baggage. As you can see in our tables below, this excess pricing is highly “route dependent”.
Table of contents
Table of Contents
Alitalia Carry-On Allowance
1 personal item: FREE
1 standard carry-on: FREE
- Personal: size undisclosed but Alitalia lists example items such as a briefcase, handbag or laptop
- Standard: 55cm x 35cm x 25cm
up to 8kg (17.6lb)
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- Each infant is entitled to an additional bag of up to 10 kg
- When booking a seat for your child you may also bring a child safety seat if it fits in between the arm rests of the airplane seat (42 cm/16.5 in)
Stroller Check Policy
- Strollers will be sent to the destination free of charge, however Alitalia is unclear on whether the stroller must be checked with the other bags or if it can be checked at the gate.
Alitalia Checked Baggage Allowance
All checked bags must adhere to a max weight of 23kg for Economy & Premium Economy; 32kg for Business and Comfort fares, and max linear dimensions of 158cm.
Light: for purchase 29-67 USD per segment
Economy: 1st bag included* (23 kg)
Premium Economy: 2 bags included (23 kg)
Business: 2 bags included (32 kg)
Comfort (Rome-Milan): 2 bags included (23 kg)
* 2 x 23kg bags are permitted on flights:
- To/from Japan or Brazil
- From the Maldives, Mauritius or New Delhi to Europe, the Middle East or North Africa
- From India or the Middle East (excluding Israel) to the USA, Canada or Mexico
Lap Infant Checked Bag Policy
- If the child is traveling in an accompanying adult’s lap, the adult is entitled to bring an additional checked bag of up to 10 kg.
Excess / Additional Baggage Fees (excluding USA, Canada and Mexico)
|Route||Excess weight charge||Excess size charge||2nd Extra Piece||3rd to 6th extra piece|
|Domestic flights||75 USD||75 USD||75 USD||250 USD|
|Europe and North Africa||75 USD||100 USD||75 USD||250 USD|
|Middle East (excl. Egypt)||95 USD||n/a||95 USD||250 USD|
|Rest of world||125 USD||370 USD||125 USD||250 USD|
Excess / Additional Baggage Fees (USA and Mexico)
- Excess weight (from 23-32kg): 100 USD
- Oversized (from 158-203cm): 300 USD
- Additional pieces: 2nd piece 100 USD, 3rd-6th pieces 285 USD
Excess Baggage Fees (Canada)
|Route||Excess Weight Fee|
|From Middle East, Jordan, Israel and North Africa||56 USD|
|To North Africa||56 USD|
|To Middle East, Jordan and Israel||75 USD|
|From Europe and Japan||64 USD|
|From Egypt, India, South and Central America||75 USD|
|To Europe, India, Japan, South and Central America||90 USD|
|To Egypt||149 USD|
Oversized Baggage Fees (Canada)
|From Middle East, Jordan, Israel and North Africa, Egypt, South and Central America||224 USD|
|To Middle East, Jordan, Israel and North Africa, Egypt and Japan||269 USD|
|From Europe and Japan||187 USD|
|To Europe||258 USD|
|To South and Central America||276 USD|
Additional Piece (Canada)
|Route||Additional Bag Fee|
|2nd piece from Europe||64 USD|
|2nd piece to/from Israel and Jordan||75 USD|
|2nd piece to Europe, South and Central America||90 USD|
|3rd piece from Israel, Jordan, Middle East, India, South or Central America||150 USD|
|3rd piece from Europe and Japan||179 USD|
|3rd piece to Europe, Japan, India, South and Central America||247 USD|
Light Fare Baggage Charges (charged per direction)
- Purchased online or with the call centre: 29 USD (57-67 USD for intercontinental flights)*
- Airport ticket desk: 51 USD (57-67 USD for intercontinental flights)
*Reduced pre-paid baggage is not available on flights from Amsterdam, Belgrade, Corfù, Dubrovnik, Fuerteventura, Geneva, Havana, Ibiza, Menorca, Mykonos, Las Palmas, Olbia, Oran, Palma de Mallorca, Paris Charles de Gaulle, Podgorica, Santorini, Split, Tenerife, Teheran, Tirana, Tunis, Zurich. Baggage can only be purchased at the airport.
For baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment, musical instruments, etc.) please refer to Alitalia’s policy here.
Can I Pre-pay for Baggage?
Alitalia does allow passengers the ability to pre-pay baggage online or via the mobile app.
Here are the ways you can pre-pay for baggage:
- Log in to your booking on Alitalia’s website and visit the ‘My Flights’ section.
- Log in to your booking on Alitalia’s mobile app and visit the ‘My Flights’ section.
Credit Cards That Reimburse You For Checked Bag Fees
Get reimbursed for checked bag fees when flying Alitalia by using one of these three cards:
|Credit Card||Fee Reimbursement Details|
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card|
Exclusions & Waivers
- may receive luggage perks dependent on status.
- If you are an Elite or Elite Plus member of Skyteam, you receive an extra allowance (10 kg for Elite, 20 kg for Elite Plus), or one additional bag where the piece concept applies. This depends on routing.