RyanAir does things a bit differently with their baggage policy. As you’ll see below, Economy passengers booking a Standard or Flexi Plus fare pay for each piece of luggage, while Plus and Family Plus passengers have checked luggage included.
It’s also important to note fees increase when buying via the call center or at the airport, so be sure to purchase online prior to your travel date.
Table of contents
Table of Contents
RyanAir Carry-On Allowance
1 personal item: FREE
1 standard carry-on bag: from €6-€14/£6-£14
- Personal: 15.7 x 9.9 x 7.9 inches (40 x 25 x 20 cm)
- Standard: 21.7 x 15.7 x 7.9 inches (55 x 40 x 20 cm) and 22 pounds (10 kg)
A carry-on bag that exceeds these restrictions will be placed in the hold and a fee of £50/€50 will be charged.
Plus, Flexi Plus, and Family Plus fares include a personal item and a cabin bag within the ticket price.
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- A baby bag up to 11 pounds (5 kg) and 17.7 x 13.7 x 7.9 inches (45 x 35 x 20 cm) may be carried by the accompanying adult in addition to their own cabin bag allowance when an infant (aged 8 days to 23 months) is traveling on an adult’s lap.
Stroller Check Policy
- With RyanAir you can carry 2 items of baby equipment free of charge per child (1 pushchair plus one of the following items: car seat, booster seat, or travel-cot). Strollers/pushchairs can be used up to the aircraft steps and after landing, will be available at the aircraft steps.
RyanAir Checked Baggage Allowance
All checked bags must adhere to maximum linear dimensions of 62 inches (158 cm).
Standard fare and Flexi Plus passengers do not receive any free baggage allowance and this must be booked at the following prices:
At time of booking:
- 22 pounds/10 kg: €10-€17.50/£10-£17.50
- 48.50 pounds/20 kg: €25/£25-€35/£35
- 22 pounds/10 kg: €10-€25/£10-£25 (post booking)
- 22 pounds/10 kg: €25/£25 (at the gate)
- 48.50 pounds/20 kg: €40/£40 (post booking)
Fare types with checked baggage included:
- Plus: 1 bag (48.50 pounds/20 kg)
- Family Plus: 2 x 48.50 pounds/20 kg and 1 x 22 pound/10 kg bag
Passengers may check up to three pieces of baggage.
Bags purchased via a call centre or at the airport will incur a €10 supplement per bag, per flight sector.
There is a €10 supplement on price during peak travel periods.
Additional / Excess Baggage Fees
Currently: €11/£11 per Kilo *can only purchase at airport kiosk
- For baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment, musical instruments, etc.) please refer to RyanAir’s policy here.
Can I Pre-pay for Baggage?
RyanAir does allow passengers the ability to pre-pay for luggage online during the booking (cheapest option) and post-booking process, via the mobile app or with their call centre.
Here are the ways to pre-pay:
- Online during the booking process, or post-booking by logging in to your ‘myRyanAir account’ from the ‘My Bookings’ tab on the RyanAir website.
- Download and log in to the RyanAir app
- Contact the RyanAir call centre on +44 871 500 5050
Credit Cards That Reimburse You For Checked Bag Fees
RyanAir is a rapidly growing airline out of Ireland so if you visit Europe, there’s a decent chance you’ll fly with them. If you use one of the cards below you can get reimbursed for at least some of your checked bag fees.
|Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card - This no annual fee card comes with a 20,000 bonus mile offer after spending $500 in the first 3 months. When you use your card for travel purchases (e.g. baggage fees), use your miles to pay off all, or part of, your statement balance! We've highlighted 30+ benefits of the card.|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card - The "big brother" card to the VentureOne with a 60,000 bonus miles when you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. This card is full of benefits and perks and you can redeem your miles on travel (flights, hotels, even paying for baggage fees etc) or transfer your miles to over 10+ travel loyalty programs.|
- RyanAir Choice (annual membership) passengers get free Priority Boarding which includes a 22 pound/10 kg cabin bag.