You just got your shiny new Capital One credit card in the mail, but before you use it, you need to activate it! Activating it is a pretty simple, straightforward process, but is essential to making the card function as you swipe it across town. In this post, we explain how to activate your new Capital One credit card.
How To Activate Your Capital One Credit Card
Normally, your new Capital One credit card will get shipped to you within 10 business days of being approved, but if you’re lucky enough to be approved for one of Capital One’s premium credit cards, such as the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card, you’re likely to see that card arrive much faster with expedited shipping.
Once your card arrives in the mail, you need to verify that you’ve received it. Up to this point, the card is not usable, even though it looks like it could be. To activate the card, you’ll need to have some essential personal details on hand for Capital One to verify that you’ve received it.
There are 3 ways to activate a Capital One credit card:
- The first is using the Capital One website. If you don’t already have an account, you’ll be prompted to create one
- If you have the Capital One mobile app installed on your phone, you can use that to activate your card as well
- If you’re not able to go to the website or app, you can use the old-school method of calling 800-227-4825
If you use the website or app to activate your card, you’ll receive a confirmation message at the end indicating your card is good to go for use.
Tips for Activating Your Capital One Credit Card:
- You should activate your card as soon as you receive it. There’s no point in waiting to activate your card. Even though it won’t be usable until you verify you’ve received it, you don’t want to risk losing the card you’ve been sent and having it fall into the wrong hands.
- Sometimes, Capital One will ask for personally identifiable information to verify receipt of your card. Generally, if you use the app and log in or use the call-in number using the phone number associated with your account you will not receive this extra scrutiny.
- Once you’ve activated your card, be sure to keep it in a safe place as anyone who picks it up can use it. If you lose your card, or it gets stolen, immediately contact Capital One to report the theft and have your card frozen so no additional charges can be made.
- If your card has a welcome bonus, be sure you meet all of the requirements so you can earn those bonus points. Often, there is a specific amount of spend you need to put on the card.
Hot Tip: Capital One does not provide access to your credit card number prior to receiving the physical card, so you’ll only be able to activate your card and use it once you receive it. You may have success in adding your card to vendors such as PayPal via the Digital Wallet Manager to use your card before receiving it. Simply navigate to your profile, then Digital Wallet Manager to get started.
Activating your credit card is essential to being able to use it. Capital One makes this process pretty simple, offering a variety of ways to acknowledge that you’ve received the card. Be sure to activate your card as soon as it arrives so you can begin swiping your card at merchants worldwide.
The information regarding the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card was independently collected by Upgraded Points and not provided nor reviewed by the issuer.
Featured Image Credit:
Frequently asked questions
How do I activate my Capital One credit card?
You can activate your Capital One credit card by calling Capital One or using the Capital One website or mobile app. Either option will activate your card the same way.
Can I activate my Capital One credit card by phone?
Yes! You can call Capital One at 800-227-4825 to activate your debit or credit card when you receive it in the mail.
How do I activate my Capital One card without calling?
Simply visit Capital One’s website or download the mobile app and go to your account settings where you’ll see the option to activate your card.
How do I know if my credit card is activated?
After activating your card on the website or app, you’ll be given a message acknowledging the card is active for use. If you activate over the phone, the automated voice system will acknowledge that your card is ready to use.
Disclaimer: Any comments listed below are not from the bank advertiser, nor have they been reviewed or approved by them. No responsibility will be taken by the bank advertiser for these comments.