Edited by: Kellie Jez
Full List of Travel Insurance Benefits for the Capital One Venture X Card 
We may be compensated when you click on product links, such as credit cards, from one or more of our advertising partners. Terms apply to the offers below. See our Advertising Policy for more about our partners, how we make money, and our rating methodology. Opinions and recommendations are ours alone.
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card is one of the hottest in today’s ultra-premium market, and even though Capital One is a new entrant into the ultra-premium niche, it did an incredible job with this card. The card boasts thousands of dollars of value every year for the discerning traveler, streamlined bonus rewards, and access to an attractive points landscape in Capital One Miles.
This card doesn’t just stop at lounge access and travel credits — its benefits extend all the way to high-quality travel insurance perks. Unfortunately, learning about the travel insurance offered by the Capital One Venture X card is easier said than done. This is made even more complicated by the fact that insurance policies are some of the most difficult topics to read about.
So in this guide, our goal is to demystify the travel insurance benefits and coverage offered by the Capital One Venture X card. This guide will cover everything from primary rental car insurance to travel accident insurance.
Let’s get right into it!
Basic Card Information
For you to better understand the card’s coverage, it’s important to have a little background on the card. We’ve detailed the benefits, welcome bonus, and annual fee for the Capital One Venture X card below:
Terms Apply / Rates & Fees
Learn More(at Capital One's secure site)
The Capital One Venture X card is an excellent option for travelers looking for an all-in-one premium credit card.
Earn 75,000 bonus miles when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening, equal to $750 in travel.
19.99% - 29.99% (Variable)
Upgraded Points credit ranges are a variation of FICO®Score 8, one of many types of credit scores lenders may use when considering your credit cardapplication.
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card is the premium Capital One travel rewards card on the block.
Points and miles fans will be surprised to see that the Capital One Venture X card packs quite the punch when it comes to bookings made through Capital One, all while offering the lowest annual fee among premium credit cards.
Depending on your travel goals and preferences, the Capital One Venture X card could very well end up being your go-to card in your wallet.
- 10x miles per $1 on hotels and rental cars purchased through Capital One Travel
- 5x miles per $1 on flights purchased through Capital One Travel
- 2x miles per $1 on all other purchases
- $300 annual travel credit on bookings made through Capital One Travel
- Unlimited complimentary access for cardholder and 2 guests to 1,300+ lounges, including Capital One Lounges and the Partner Lounge Network
- 10,000 bonus miles awarded on your account anniversary each year
- Global Entry/TSA PreCheck credit
- Add authorized users for no additional annual fee
- No foreign transaction fees
- $395 annual fee
- Does not offer bonus categories for flights or hotel purchases made directly with the airline or hotel group, the preferred booking method for those looking to earn elite status
- Earn 75,000 bonus miles when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening, equal to $750 in travel
- Receive a $300 annual credit for bookings through Capital One Travel, where you'll get Capital One's best prices on thousands of trip options
- Get 10,000 bonus miles (equal to $100 towards travel) every year, starting on your first anniversary
- Earn unlimited 10X miles on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel and 5X miles on flights booked through Capital One Travel
- Earn unlimited 2X miles on all other purchases
- Unlimited complimentary access for you and two guests to 1,300+ lounges, including Capital One Lounges and the Partner Lounge Network
- Use your Venture X miles to easily cover travel expenses, including flights, hotels, rental cars and more—you can even transfer your miles to your choice of 15+ travel loyalty programs
- Elevate every hotel stay from the Premier or Lifestyle Collections with a suite of cardholder benefits, like an experience credit, room upgrades, and more
- Receive up to a $100 credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck®
- Benefits of the Capital One Venture X Card
- Best Ways to Use Venture X Points
- Capital One Venture X Credit Score and Approval Odds
- Capital One Venture X Lounge Access
- Capital One Venture X Travel Insurance Benefits
- Capital One Venture vs Venture X
- Capital One Venture X vs Amex Platinum
- Capital One Venture X vs Chase Sapphire Reserve
- Best Credit Cards with Priority Access
- Best Credit Cards for Airport Lounge Access
- Best Capital One Credit Cards
- Best Luxury and Premium Credit Cards
- Best Metal Credit Cards
- Best High Limit Credit Cards
- Choice Privileges Loyalty Program Review
Primary Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance
One of the pillars of travel insurance is coverage for your rental car. Indeed, this is one of the most important areas to pay close attention to. Why? Coverages vary wildly — and you might not actually be getting the coverage you’re expecting. If something unexpected happens while you’re renting, you could be liable for thousands of dollars worth of damages.
The Capital One Venture X card confers excellent primary rental car coverage (in contrast to secondary rental car coverage). When renting a car for a period of 15 consecutive days in your country of residence or 31 days outside your country of residence, you can get coverage. Countries excluded are Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland, and Northern Ireland.
Some exclusions apply, including expensive, exotic, and antique cars, cargo vans, certain vans, vehicles with an open cargo bed, trucks, motorcycles, mopeds, motorbikes, limousines, and recreational vehicles.
In order to utilize this coverage, you have to decline the rental car company’s collision damage waiver (CDW), also sometimes referred to as the loss damage waiver (LDW), and pay for the entire rental car using your Capital One Venture X card.
To file a claim, you need to immediately call the benefits administrator at 800-825-4062 (outside the U.S., call collect at 804-965-8071).
You’ll need to provide:
- A copy of the accident report form
- A copy of the initial and final auto rental agreements (front and back)
- A copy of the repair estimate and itemized repair bill
- 2 photographs of the damaged vehicle, if available
- A police report, if obtainable
- A copy of the demand letter that indicates the costs you are responsible for and any amounts that have been paid toward the claim
Be sure to complete and sign the claim form that the benefits administrator provides and postmark it within 90 days of the theft or damage date, even if all of the other required documentation isn’t yet available.
You’ll want to also submit a copy of your billing statement showing that the entire car rental was booked with the Capital One Venture X card.
Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption Insurance
One of the core pillars of travel insurance is trip cancellation and interruption insurance.
If your upcoming travel plans are disrupted or canceled, there could be potentially huge financial implications. For example, if your airline becomes insolvent, and you have to cancel your vacation because of that, you’ll want to leverage your trip cancellation and interruption insurance, which typically covers unexpected events.
You can even use this coverage while you’re in the middle of your trip — it specifically relates to travel on “common carriers.” Common carriers are generally any model of transportation by land, water, or air operating for hire under a license to carry passengers for which a ticket must be purchased prior to travel.
The most applicable common carrier travel would likely be airfare, and the Capital One Venture X card covers up each insured person, so long as you charge the entire cost to that credit card. Your spouse and dependent children are generally eligible for coverage, as long as their trips are paid for on the credit card, too.
You’re generally covered if the interruption or cancellation is from the death of a family member (as well as accidental bodily injury, disease, or physical illness) or financial insolvency of the common carrier.
Exclusions to this insurance include any preexisting conditions, injuries arising from participation in professional sports events, cosmetic surgery, suicide, declared or undeclared war, and more.
Trip Delay Reimbursement
Trip delays are one of those unexpected annoyances that happen to travelers sooner or later.
Luckily, the Capital One Venture X card covers trip delay reimbursement for every purchased ticket on your card, so long as your trip is delayed for more than 6 hours or requires an overnight stay.
You can have up to 1 claim per trip only, and you need to purchase at least a portion of the common carrier fare using your credit card. You don’t need to purchase the entire fare using your credit card — award ticket taxes and fees count, too!
You, your spouse, and your dependent children under 22 years old are generally covered as long as all of their trip was purchased using the same Capital One Venture X card.
Lost Luggage Reimbursement
Ever wondered what happened to your luggage, only to find out that, just like a nightmare in a scary movie, the airline has lost your luggage?
Worry no further because you can use the Capital One Venture X card’s lost luggage reimbursement coverage to recover costs.
Technically, the coverage is for the difference between the claimed value and whatever the common carrier has reimbursed you already. If the common carrier hasn’t reimbursed you at all, you should be covered for the complete value of the baggage and its contents.
You and all of your immediate family members are covered, as long as you purchase a portion of the covered trip with your Capital One Venture X card; this includes award ticket taxes and fees.
Travel and Emergency Assistance Services
The Capital One Venture X has a suite of travel and emergency assistance services that can connect you to local emergency and assistance resources 24/7, 365 days a year.
Remember, travel and emergency assistance services provide assistance and referral only; the cost of any services or goods provided is your responsibility and is not covered.
Some specific services include:
- Emergency Message Service — Record and relay emergency messages for travelers or their immediate family members
- Medical Referral Assistance — Provides medical referral, monitoring, and follow-up
- Legal Referral Assistance — Arranges contact with English-speaking attorneys and U.S. embassies and consulates if you’re detained by local authorities, have a car accident, or need legal assistance
- Emergency Transportation Assistance — Helps make all necessary arrangements for emergency transportation home or to the nearest medical facility
- Emergency Ticket Replacement — Helps you through your carrier’s lost ticket reimbursement process and assists in the delivery of a replacement ticket
- Lost Luggage Locator Service — Can help you through a common carrier’s claim procedures or can arrange shipment of replacement items if an airline or common carrier loses your checked luggage
- Emergency Translation Services — Provides telephone assistance in all major languages and helps find local interpreters
- Prescription Assistance and Valuable Document Delivery Arrangements — Helps you fill or replace prescriptions and transport critical documents that you may have left at home or elsewhere
- Pre-trip Assistance — Gives you information on your destination before you leave, like ATM locations, currency exchange rates, and more
In general, the primary cardholder, spouse, and all dependent children under 22 are eligible to use these services.
Terms, conditions, and exclusions apply. Refer to your guide to benefits for details. Some of these benefits are provided by Visa or Mastercard and may vary by product and depends on the level of benefits you get at application.
Travel Accident Insurance
As a Capital One Venture X cardholder, you are automatically insured against accidental loss of life, limb, sight, speech, or hearing while riding as a passenger in, entering, or exiting any licensed common carrier, as long as the entire cost of your fare has been charged to your Capital One Venture X card.
Exclusions include taxes, as well as bus, train, airport limousine, and courtesy transportation. Note that terms, conditions, and exclusions apply. Refer to your Guide to Benefits for more details. Travel Accident Insurance is not guaranteed. It depends on the level of benefits you get at the time of application
Filing a Claim
The exact process for filing a claim may vary depending on which coverage you’re trying to use, but the general process is usually the same:
- Notify your benefits administrator as soon as you possibly can about your covered event.
- Provide any preliminary claim information to the benefits administrator.
- The benefits administrator will send a more complete claim form to fill out, as well as a list of documentation required.
- Submit the claims and wait to receive the reimbursement you’re eligible for.
- Follow up with the benefits administrator as needed.
The exact documentation you’ll need to collect will vary — for example, if you want to file for a car rental-related reimbursement, you’ll likely need to furnish items like your rental car agreement.
On the other hand, if you’re applying for trip cancellation or interruption coverage, you’ll need to provide the confirmation of the nonrefundable tickets on the common carrier.
In general, all claim forms must be submitted within 90 days of the covered event, even if all of the supporting documentation isn’t yet available.
Hot Tip: Keep as much documentation as possible, including receipts, police reports, email communications from third parties, and more.
The Capital One Venture X card has some of the best travel insurance a credit card can offer. This is on top of the other benefits you get, such as unlimited Capital One Lounge access, up to $300 Capital One Travel credit every cardmember anniversary year, cell phone insurance, and so much more.
In particular, the primary rental car insurance rivals the best that ultra-premium credit cards offer.
Although this card doesn’t have baggage delay coverage, emergency medical and dental coverage, or emergency medical transport and evacuation insurance, it has most of the features travelers are looking for.
For Capital One products listed on this page, some of the above benefits are provided by Visa® or Mastercard® and may vary by product. See the respective Guide to Benefits for details, as terms and exclusions apply.
Featured Image Credit: Upgraded Points
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card include travel insurance?
Yes! The Capital One Venture X card offers a suite of travel insurance perks, like primary rental car coverage, trip cancellation and interruption coverage, lost luggage reimbursement, and travel accident insurance.
Is it worth it to get trip insurance?
In most cases, it’s worth it to get trip insurance, especially in an era of COVID-19 complications. However, the Capital One Venture X card may provide most of what you’re looking for, for free!
How does travel insurance work for trip cancellation?
If your trip is cancelled or interrupted due to covered reasons (including death, accidental bodily injury, or physical illness of yourself or an immediate family member) or default of the common carrier resulting from financial insolvency, you can submit a claim for trip cancellation and interruption reimbursement.
You’ll want to provide a claim notice to a plan administrator, follow any instructions to provide evidence, fill out the required forms, and submit all of the documentation.
What is not covered by travel insurance?
In general, travel insurance excludes epidemics and pandemics, as well as any voluntary changes/events that occur. Additionally, there is a list of exclusions for each travel insurance benefit in your benefits guide.
Was this page helpful?