The Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card is one of the most exclusive credit cards available. Also one of the newer options in the ultra-premium market, it has a variety of valuable perks, as well as a sizable annual fee.
Looking past the annual fee, you’ll realize that this card is so attractive because it offers an array of practical benefits to completely offset the cost of holding the card. The list of benefits is almost too long to discuss, but in this guide, we’ll walk you through the CapOne Venture X card’s car rental insurance and benefits.
The CapOne Venture X card boasts 2 different sets of benefits associated with car rentals:
- Car rental elite status with Hertz
- Car rental insurance
In this post, we’ll show you all of the unique ways to maximize car rental benefits with the CapOne Venture X card.
Let’s get started!
Benefits of the CapOne Venture X Card
At a glance, the CapOne Venture X card comes with a hefty price tag, but an even heftier list of benefits.
In our opinion, adding this card to your wallet is a no-brainer — honestly, it’s one of the easiest credit card-related decisions you can make.
Here’s a snippet of its perks:
Other Key Benefits of the CapOne Venture X Card
- Earn 10 miles per dollar when you book on Turo, the world’s largest car sharing marketplace, through May 16, 2023
- Complimentary Hertz President’s Circle Status
- Travel insurance, including primary rental car insurance and delayed baggage insurance
- Cell phone protection
- Purchase protection
- Extended warranty
- Return protection
- Virtual card numbers via Eno
- Capital One Dining and Capital One Entertainment
- 4 authorized users for free
CapOne Venture X Card Car Rental Privileges
One of the many selling points of the CapOne Venture X card is the complimentary car rental privileges you’ll enjoy.
Capital One offers privileges with 1 car rental company: Hertz.
As a CapOne Venture X cardmember, you are entitled to free enrollment in Hertz President’s Circle status, which is the top-tier membership in the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards loyalty program.
With this card, you can circumvent the normal qualification requirements of either 15 rentals or $3,000 in qualifying spending.
Here are the benefits associated with President’s Circle status:
- Ultimate Choice, which gives you the ability to choose any vehicle in the President’s Circle section on the Hertz Ultimate Choice lot for free
- 50% bonus points (1.5 points per $1 spent)
- Upgrades of at least 1 class are guaranteed at participating locations
- Dedicated President’s Circle Rewards hotline
- Free additional driver (spouse or domestic partner in the U.S.)
The most useful perk is definitely Ultimate Choice, which could give you a choice of the best car in the lot when you pick up your car!
Because the CapOne Venture X card is a Visa Infinite card, you can enroll in Avis Preferred Plus and save up to 30% off base rates on qualifying rentals, as well as free weekend rentals and up to 10% base rates on Select Series rentals.
This applies to U.S. and Canadian residents renting at a participating Avis location in the U.S. or Canada.
The Avis Worldwide Discount AWD# for up to 30% off base rates is S107100. Note that this does not apply to car group X.
Visit Avis’ Visa Infinite landing page for more details.
National Car Rental
National Car Rental offers complimentary Emerald Club Executive level membership to Visa Infinite cardholders, as well as up to 25% savings on rentals of any size at participating locations in the U.S., Canada, Latin America, and the Caribbean.
To get your discount, use Contract ID 5030764 when making your booking. You can also make your reservation by phone at 800-227-7368.
Visit National’s Visa Infinite landing page for more details.
Lastly, Silvercar gives you up to 30% savings with a guaranteed minimum discount of 10% on rentals when you pay with the CapOne Venture X card.
Be sure to use code VINFINITE20 to qualify.
Visit Silvercar’s Visa Infinite landing page for more details.
CapOne Venture X Card Rental Car Loss and Damage Insurance
The car rental insurance endowed by the CapOne Venture X card is primary (not secondary), an extremely attractive benefit. We’ll show you how to remain eligible to use this perk, as well as what’s covered.
In practice, this perk is available to all Visa Infinite cardholders, and the CapOne Venture X card happens to be a Visa Infinite card.
To be eligible for this benefit, you need to:
- Pay for the entire car rental with your CapOne Venture X card
- Decline the rental company’s collision damage waiver (CDW/LDW)
- Make sure that your rental is at most 15 days in the U.S. or 31 days elsewhere (car rentals in Israel, Jamaica, Northern Island, and the Republic of Ireland are ineligible)
Under this policy, the cardholder and any additional drivers as indicated in the rental car agreement are covered.
- Antique cars (a car that is over 20 years old or one that has not been manufactured for 10 years or more)
- Exotic cars
- Expensive cars (MSRP of more than $75,000 when new)
- Cargo vans
- Recreational vehicles
- Vans with a capacity of more than 9 passengers
- Vehicles with an open cargo bed
What Does the Plan Cover?
With this card, you’ll get a maximum of $75,000 in coverage (exclusions apply).
The coverage includes theft, damage, valid loss-of-use charges imposed and substantiated by the auto rental company, administrative fees, and reasonable and customary towing charges to the nearest qualified repair facility for a covered theft or damage.
Here are a few instances that the insurance does not cover:
- Loss or theft of personal belongings
- Theft or damage due to intentional acts or due to the driver(s) being under the influence of alcohol, intoxicants, drugs, or due to contraband/illegal activities
- Damage due to off-road operation of the rental vehicle
- Personal liability
Simply put, if you get into an accident where you are deemed to be at fault, this insurance will not cover you.
If you get into an accident where you are deemed not to be at fault, this insurance may cover you.
If you need further assistance with your car rental insurance or with filing a claim, use this contact information to get extra clarity.
Customer Service and Claims Department (toll-free): 800-825-4062
International (collect): 804-965-8071
In this case, car rental loss insurance policies are underwritten by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.
Bottom Line: The CapOne Venture X card will provide primary rental car coverage if your rental car is damaged or stolen — but if your rental car is damaged and you are at fault, or you damage other vehicles or injure people in other vehicles, the rental car insurance will not cover you.
Primary vs. Secondary Coverage
The CapOne Venture X card boasts primary coverage, thanks to its status as a Visa Infinite card. This means you don’t need to file a claim with your personal insurance first — you can file a claim directly with the benefits administrator.
How To File a Claim
If you meet all of the requirements above and believe you have a strong case to file a claim, you will need to submit the following documentation:
- A copy of the accident report form
- A copy of the initial and final auto rental agreements (front and back)
- A copy of the repair estimate and itemized repair bill
- 2 photographs of the damaged vehicle, if available
- A police report, if obtainable
- A copy of the demand letter which indicates the costs you are responsible for and any amounts that have been paid toward the claim
- A copy of the monthly billing statements (showing the last 4 digits of the account number) demonstrating that the entire rental transaction was made on that account
- A completed and signed Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver claim form (must be postmarked within 90 days of the theft or damage date, even if all other required documentation is not yet available)
While the claim form must be submitted within 90 days of the theft or damage date, you can postmark all of the remaining documents within 365 days of the theft or damage date.
Claims are usually finalized within 15 days after all of the documentation has been received.
The CapOne Venture X card conveys many noteworthy benefits; this includes top-tier elite status with Hertz President’s Club, as well as primary rental car insurance.
This card offers Visa Infinite-level perks with Avis, National Car Rental, and Silvercar, but you won’t get the same top-tier status as you would with Hertz.
Indeed, Capital One’s partnership with Hertz is worth strong consideration, especially when thinking about the Ultimate Choice perk, which gives you the ability to choose any car on the Ultimate Choice lot in the President’s Circle section when you pick up your car.
Best of all, these perks are complimentary when you hold the CapOne Venture X card.
The information regarding the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card was independently collected by Upgraded Points and not provided nor reviewed by the issuer.