Update: The offer mentioned below has expired and is no longer available.
American Express has released one of its latest Amex Offers, this time to save $300 when you spend $1,500 or more with Qantas, the flag carrier for Australia.
With Australia recently opening its borders and travelers looking to fly to the land down under, this is a perfect time to save on flights.
The offer, which can be added to your eligible American Express card via the Amex Offers tab in the app, requires cardholders to spend $1,500 in 1 or more transactions with Qantas. Within a few weeks, $300 will be credited back to your account.
Hot Tip: Learn more about how to save money and earn bonus points in our ultimate guide to using Amex Offers.
When booking, you’ll need to consider the following restrictions:
- You need to book your flights through the Qantas U.S. website or Qantas U.S. mobile app — purchasing through one of the Qantas international websites may deem your transaction ineligible. You have to purchase your flights online as this offer won’t work for any transactions done outside of the online reservation system.
- Along the same lines, your purchase needs to be charged in U.S. dollars, so ensure the currency being displayed on your screen is not in Australian dollars.
- Your flight purchase needs to be complete by November 30, 2022, however, your actual flights can occur after this. Typically, airlines do not let you book tickets for more than a year out, so the last day you could theoretically fly under this offer would be November 30, 2023.
- You’re able to use this offer to purchase any ancillary expenses along with your ticket — typically seat assignment fees, checked baggage, and lounge access — though these need to be purchased with the original ticket in 1 single purchase.
- Your flights need to originate in the U.S., so this offer can’t be used for intra-Australia flights, for example. Qantas flies from San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), and Dallas (DFW), and its New York City (JFK) tag flight is expected to resume at some stage as well. You can fly to Brisbane (BNE), Melbourne (MEL), or Sydney (SYD), and of course, connect from there to anywhere Qantas serves.
Best Uses of This Offer
Qantas business class fares to Australia are typically north of $5,000, so even with the $300 savings, you’re still paying quite a bit. However, round-trip to Australia in the economy cabin tends to hover around $1,500 or so — the benchmark for this offer — so if you’re flying in the economy this offer is an easy way to save a significant amount on your ticket expense.
Hot Tip: Make sure to include your Qantas Airways Frequent Flyer membership number on your reservation so that you can earn and redeem points!
There have been a number of Amex Offers with flight savings recently, and this one from Qantas will definitely help jumpstart the tourism boom back to Australia post-COVID-19. While this offer won’t help much if you’re purchasing a pricey business class or first class fare, it can provide noticeable savings for those willing to sit in economy class or premium economy for the long stretch down to Australia.
Featured Image Credit:
Disclaimer: Any comments listed below are not from the bank advertiser, nor have they been reviewed or approved by them. No responsibility will be taken by the bank advertiser for these comments.