Edited by: Keri Stooksbury
We may be compensated when you click on product links, such as credit cards, from one or more of our advertising partners. Terms apply to the offers below. See our Advertising Policy for more about our partners, how we make money, and our rating methodology. Opinions and recommendations are ours alone.
Update:The offer mentioned below has expired and is no longer available.
Flights to South America typically aren’t the cheapest, but a great deal can save you some serious cash — and it’s in premium economy.
Here’s what you need to know about this deal — and how to book!
Fare Deal — The Details
This deal is operated by United Airlines to Santiago (SCL) in Chile. This deal is available from many United hubs, including Chicago (ORD) and Newark (EWR), and all include a layover in Houston (IAH).
Play around with a few dates on Google Flights and book directly through the airline or an online travel agency (OTA) like Expedia. You’ll find cheaper rates using lesser-known OTAs, but if you want more peace of mind, you may want to book with a more reputable option.
- Class: Premium Economy
- Routes: Baltimore (BWI), Chicago (ORD), Denver (DEN), New York/Newark (JFK/LGA/EWR), and Washington, D.C. (IAD) to Santiago (SCL)
- Dates: April through June 2024
- Rates: As low as $1,040 round-trip
While the short-haul flights are operated in economy, you’ll enjoy nearly 10 hours in premium economy on the flights between Houston and Santiago on United’s Boeing 767.
Best Ways To Book
The best availability can be found between April and June of 2024, though other dates may be available at a higher price.
Make sure you pay with a card that rewards you for travel purchases. Here are a few of our favorites — all of which offer big welcome bonuses and elevated earnings on flights:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 5x Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with the airline or through Amex Travel (capped at $500,000 spent in purchases per calendar year, then 1x points)
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express: 5x Membership Rewards points on flights booked through Amex Travel
- Chase Sapphire Reserve®: 5x Ultimate Rewards points on flights booked through the Ultimate Rewards portal; 3x points on all other travel purchases
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card: 5x Ultimate Rewards points on flights booked through the Ultimate Rewards portal; 2x points on all other travel purchases
- Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card: 5x Capital One miles on flights booked through Capital One Travel; 2x miles on all other purchases (including travel)
This is a fantastic deal for South America, which is notoriously expensive if you’re booking in a premium cabin. Like many flight deals, this one likely won’t last long, so make sure to book before it’s gone!
The information regarding the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card was independently collected by Upgraded Points and not provided nor reviewed by the issuer.
Featured Image Credit: Emiel Molenaar on Unsplash
Was this page helpful?
UP's Bonus Valuation
This bonus value is an estimated valuation calculated by UP after analyzing redemption options, transfer partners, award availability and how much UP would pay to buy these points.