Chase Ultimate Rewards is my favorite points program. I love it because points are easy to earn and can be transferred to many different hotel and airline partners. But you can also book travel directly through their Chase’s travel portal using Ultimate Rewards points.
Booking travel through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal is simple and can be a great way to use your points.
I’ll show you everything you need to know about how to redeem your points, including the benefits, how to know what your points are worth, and how to book airlines, hotels, and more through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal.
Why Book Travel Through the Chase Ultimate Rewards Travel Portal?
Whether you are a seasoned vet or new to the points and miles game, you might not understand the focus on using points to book directly through a bank’s travel portal. Generally, you can get maximum value from your points by transferring them to airline or hotel partners. While it’s true that the only way to get the highest value redemptions is by transferring, there is still a lot of value to be had by booking directly through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal.
Flexibility is not often available with points bookings. Unlike an award booking, booking through Chase Ultimate Rewards is like using any other Online Travel Agency (OTA). There are no blackout dates or limited inventory award seats. If a flight or hotel is available, you can book it with points through the Chase travel portal.
You Can Earn Frequent Flyer Miles
One of the major bummers of booking flights with frequent flyer miles is that you don’t earn miles on award bookings. You can end up doing a lot of travel without earning miles. However, any booking you make with your Choose Ultimate Rewards points through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal will earn frequent flyer miles and accrue status points. Unfortunately, hotel and car rental bookings still won’t earn points.
I have talked to so many people over the years that love the idea of collecting points and miles but don’t want to deal with the hassle. While many don’t mind putting a little work into getting an awesome redemption, others are just looking for a simple way to book travel and hopefully save some money in the process.
That’s where the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal comes in. With this method of redeeming points, there is no transferring, comparing points values, blackout dates, limited award availability or multiple travel accounts. You have one type of point and one travel portal, but still retain many of the benefits of collecting points and miles in the first place.
Bottom Line: You can book flights, hotels, rental cars, activities, and cruises through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal.
Cards That Earn Chase Ultimate Rewards Points
If you like the idea of using the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal, you should consider credit that cards earn Chase Ultimate Rewards points.
Recommended Chase Cards (Personal)
| - This is our favorite beginners travel rewards card, which is currently offering a 60,000 point bonus after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.|
The card earns 5x points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards, 3x points on dining and 2x points on all other travel purchases, plus more. Enjoy a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, and other travel benefits such as excellent travel insurance coverage, including car rental insurance and no foreign transaction fees, this card is a very rewarding card.
|Chase Sapphire Reserve® - This premium card will get you access to 1,300+ airport lounges. as well as a number of other card benefits. The current sign up bonus is 50,000 points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. You'll also get a $300 travel credit per year which wipes away a big chunk of the $550 annual fee. |
Earn big with this card, earn 5X total points on air travel and 10X total points on hotels and car rentals when you purchase travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards immediately after the first $300 is spent on travel purchases annually. Earn 3X points on other travel and dining & 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
|Chase Freedom Unlimited® - A solid, no-annual-fee card that earns you a $200 bonus after you spend $500 in your first 3 months. The newest intro offer earns an additional 1.5% cash back on everything you buy (on up to $20,000 spent in the first year) - worth up to $300 cash back! This means you'll enjoy 6.5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 4.5% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service, and 3% on all other purchases (on up to $20,000 spent in the first year).|
After your first year or $20,000 spent, enjoy 5% cash back on Chase travel purchased through Ultimate Rewards, 3% cash back on drugstore purchases and dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery service, and unlimited 1.5% cash back on all other purchases.
Recommended Chase Cards (Business)
|Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card - this is our #1 recommended business card and right now comes with a 100,000 sign up bonus after you spend $15,000 on purchases in the first 3 months after account opening. This bonus is worth $1,000 cash back or $1,250 toward travel when redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Pay your cell phone bill with this card to receive up to $600 in cell phone insurance coverage per year; as well as a number of other benefits.|
Earn 3x on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year, plus 1x on all other purchases — with no limit to the amount you can earn. All for an annual fee of $95.
|Ink Business Cash® Credit Card - Earn $750 bonus cash back after you spend $7,500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening|
This no annual fee business card earns up to 5% cash-back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at office supply stores and on internet, cable and phone services each account anniversary year, plus 2% cash-back on the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases at gas stations and restaurants each account anniversary.
|Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card - Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back rewards on every purchase made for your business.|
Earn $750 bonus cash back after you spend $7,500 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. There's no annual fee.
What are Chase Ultimate Rewards Points Worth?
It’s easy to earn lots of Chase Ultimate Rewards points, but do you know how much they are worth? If you’re transferring your Chase Ultimate Rewards points to one of their travel partners, their value will go up or down depending on the type of redemption.
However, if you are booking your travel directly through Chase’s travel portal, each Chase Ultimate Rewards point has a set value that won’t change. The credit card you have will determine the value of your Chase Ultimate Rewards points.
Transfer Your Points Between Credit Cards for Maximum Value
If you have multiple Chase credit cards, it makes sense to transfer your points to the card with the most valuable redemption rate!
1. To transfer your points between 2 cards, log on to the Chase Ultimate Rewards dashboard and select Combine Points.
2. Then you will be able to select the card you want to transfer points from and the card you want to receive the points. After you choose, click “Continue”.
3. You can transfer all of your points or just what you need. Click Review to continue.
4. Double check the details and click on the green Confirm and Submit button to complete the transfer.
Bottom Line: Your credit card will determine the value of your Chase Ultimate Rewards points. They range between 1-1.5 cents each depending on which credit card you’re redeeming points through.
How to Access the Chase Ultimate Rewards Travel Portal
Log on to the Chase Ultimate Rewards Dashboard
1. You need to log on to your Chase account to access the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal. Then, click the Chase Ultimate Rewards box located on the bottom left-hand side of your screen to access the Chase Ultimate Rewards dashboard.
2. Choose the card you want to use. If you have multiple cards, be sure to transfer your points to the one with the best redemption value.
3. To access the Ultimate Rewards travel portal, click on the “Travel” icon in the top search box. This will bring up the travel search box, where you can input all of your details to find the best itinerary. Now, let’s walk through each section to see all of the possibilities.
How to Book a Flight Through the Portal
1. To start your search for a flight, click on the Flights tab in the upper left-hand side of the search box. When you first log on, this will be the default starting point. As with any other OTA, you begin your search by inputting basic information such as departure and arrival city, travel dates, and the number of passengers.
2. After submitting basic information, you will be able to narrow your search results. At the left-hand side of the page, you can filter by:
- Number of stops
- Outbound flight time
- Price range
3. Your search results will be displayed in the middle of the page. For each flight, you will be able to see the price in dollars and in points on the right-hand side of the results box. Click on the drop-down box next to Details and Baggage Fees for more information about the flight including baggage fees associated with your flight.
4. Once you’ve found the flight you want, click the green Select button. Next, you can choose your return flight using the same process as you did for selecting the outbound flight. Click the green Select button once you have made your choice.
5. From here you can confirm your flight details and select a fare upgrade if you wish. Then, click on the green Continue Booking button at the bottom of the page to continue with your purchase.
7. Input your passenger information next. You can also add a frequent flyer number, a Known Traveler number, or Redress number.
6. Scroll further down the page to choose how you will pay for your flights. You can pay for the entire purchase with points or a Chase credit card, or you can split your payment between points and a Chase credit card.
8. Double check all of the details on the final page before completing your purchase. Click the box confirming you understand the travel disclosures, then click Complete Booking to finish your purchase.
Hot Tip: You can split your payment between Chase Ultimate Rewards points and a Chase credit card.
How to Book a Hotel Through the Portal
1. To book a hotel through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal, start by clicking on the Hotels tab in the main search box. Then, input your destination, check-in and check-out dates, and the number of travelers. Click on the green Search box in the lower left-hand corner.
2. You can then narrow your search with the options on the left-hand side of the page. Filter options include:
- Hotel name
- Price range
- Refundable rate
- Star rating
- TripAdvisor rating
In addition to narrowing your results, you can change how your list is sorted through the bar above the search results. Sort by Recommended, Price, Distance From Downtown, or Special Pricing.
3. Each search result will show the price in both dollars and Chase Ultimate Rewards points. These prices do NOT include taxes or fees.
4. Click on each listing to see all of the rooms available plus the price in both dollars and points. This page also displays more information about the hotel itself including amenities, photos, TripAdvisor ratings, and a property overview.
Hot Tip:Click on View Map in the upper left-hand corner of the screen to see where each hotel is located. This will highlight the current 25 hotels listed on a map so you can choose a hotel based on location. To change the hotels that are shown on the map you can filter your results further or scroll through the search list. The 25 hotels that are visible in the search list will be shown on the map.
5. Once you have chosen your room, click the green Select button to proceed.
6. The next page is where you fill out your traveler and payment information. You can pay for the entire purchase with points or a Chase credit card, or split your payment between points and a Chase card. Double check your reservation details and click Complete Booking finalize your reservation.
The Luxury Hotel and Resort Collection
The Luxury Hotel and Resort Collection (LHRC) is exclusively for Chase Sapphire Reserve® cardholders. Click on the green Explore Now button in the Luxury Collection box at the bottom of the home screen to access these properties.
Once you are on the LHRC homepage, type in your destination and click Search Hotels to view available properties. Each listing will display the property’s unique cardmember benefits. Click View Hotel for more information and to continue the booking process.
When booked through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal, these properties offer the following benefits:
- Daily breakfast for 2
- Special amenity (varies by property)
- Room upgrades (based on availability)
- Free Wi-Fi
- Early check-in and late check-out (based on availability)
The Luxury Hotel and Resort Collection properties are reservation-only bookings. You make your reservations online and payment doesn’t happen until you check out from the hotel. These bookings will not take Chase Ultimate Rewards points as payment.
Bottom Line: Luxury Hotel and Resort Collection properties are only available to Chase Sapphire Reserve® cardholders. These properties can’t be booked with points.
How to Book a Rental Car Through the Portal
1. To book a rental car through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal, start by clicking on the “Cars” tab in the main search box. Then, input your pick up location, drop off location, dates, times, and age of the driver. Click on the green Search box in the lower right-hand corner to continue.
2. You can then narrow your search with the options on the left-hand side of the page. Filter options include:
- Car options
- Car type
- Rental company
3. For each car option, you will be able to see the car details, rental company, and price in both dollars and Chase Ultimate Rewards points. Once you have selected the car you want to rent, click on the green Select button.
4. Next, fill out your information and choose how many Chase Ultimate Rewards points you want to redeem. You can pay for the entire purchase with points or a Chase credit card or split your payment between points and a Chase credit card.
5. Double check all of the details before completing your purchase. Click the box confirming you understand the travel disclosures, then click Complete Booking to finish your purchase.
How to Book Activities Through the Portal
Did you know you can also book activities through Chase’s Ultimate Rewards travel portal?
1. Click the Things To Do tab in the main search box to get started. Then, input your destination and travel dates and click the green Search button to continue.
2. You can narrow your search by category at the left-hand side of the page. Choose from one of the many categories listed including:
- Tours and sightseeing
- Day trips & excursions
- Private transfers
- Sightseeing passes
- Show & sport tickets
- Food and drink
- Cruises and water tours
- Water activities
- Air, helicopter, and balloon tours
- Multi-day and extended tours
3. Each activity will show the price in both dollars and points to the right side of the screen. The price might change depending on the date you choose. Click on each activity for more information.
4. Input your desired date and number of people to see final pricing. Click the green Select button to continue.
5. On the next page, you can input your information and adjust the number of Chase points you want to use towards payment.
6. Double check all of the details on the final page before completing your purchase. Click the box confirming you understand the travel disclosures, then click Complete Booking to finish your purchase.
Bottom Line: You can book lots of activities through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal, including airport transfers!
How to Book a Cruise Through the Portal
If you’re a fan of cruises like I am, you will be pleased to know you can book them through your Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal. To get started, click on the Cruises tab on the right side of the main search box.
This will bring up a list of cruises available. There is a search box at the top of the screen, so you can input a specific destination or cruise line. Each listing will display the cruise line, ship, ports of call, sailing dates, and baseline pricing for an interior cabin. Unfortunately, if you want any more specific information or if you want to book, you will need to call the number provided.
You will notice that only cash prices are listed for cruises, however, they can be booked using your Chase Ultimate Rewards points, too.
Hot Tip: Have your credit card number handy if you call Chase Ultimate Rewards customer service (1 (866) 951-6592). They require it before they can proceed with your questions.
How to Book a Vacation Rental Through the Portal
You can book vacation rentals like private homes, condos, and villas through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal. Click on Vacation Rentals in the main search bar at the top of the page to get started.
1. Input your desired location and travel dates then click Search.
2. The search results will be in the middle of the page with filtering options to the left. Filter by categories like:
- Property Class
- Price per night
- Number of bedrooms
- Guest rating
- Property type
3. Each listing will show the price in both dollars and Chase points. Click on a listing for more information.
4. The next page displays more information about the property itself including amenities, photos, and room types. Click the green Select button to continue.
5. Fill out your traveler information and select how you would like to pay. As with everything on the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal, you can pay using a credit card, your Chase points, or a combo of both.
6. Double check all of the details before completing your purchase. Click the box confirming you understand the travel disclosures, then click Complete Booking to finish your purchase.
How Do The Prices Compare To Other Sites?
Are you getting a good deal by booking through Chase? Let’s look at how the prices available through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal stack up to other OTAs and search engines including Hotwire, Kayak, and Expedia.
There’s no clear-cut pattern on flight prices comparing the Chase portal to other OTAs and airlines’ websites.
The price for a round-trip flight from Columbus, OH (CMH) to Seattle, WA (SEA) came to $373.60 across the board through the Chase portal, on Delta’s website, as well as Expedia and Hotwire.
Specific flights may vary. For example, a Spirit flight was least expensive directly with Spirit at $355.56, $369.66 with Expedia and Hotwire, and $475.66 (the most expensive) through Chase Ultimate Rewards.
|Website||Round-trip flight price|
|Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal||$475.66|
|Spirit Airlines’ website||$355.56|
If you are in doubt or would like to check prices yourself, Kayak is a great place to start. Kayak will show you prices for a flight on all of the OTAs as well as the airline’s website. It’s a great one-stop-shop to compare flight prices.
Hot Tip: You will earn frequent flyer miles when you book your flight through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal.
Here’s how prices looked for a week’s stay at the JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa in Mexico:
|Price for a 7-night stay in USD||Price for a 7-night stay in points|
|Marriott’s website (Marriott Bonvoy member rate)||$2,296.70||270,000 Marriott Bonvoy points|
|Chase travel portal||$2,331.98||155,465-233,198 Chase Ultimate Rewards points|
You could save $35.28 by booking directly through Marriott using a Marriott member rate. But, Chase’s rate beats Expedia and Hotwire by $33.74.
There is a significant points difference between Marriott and Chase Ultimate Rewards. You can book this hotel through Marriott using Marriott Bonvoy points (which transfer from Chase Ultimate Rewards points at a 1:1 rate) for 270,000 Marriott points.
However, you can save a bundle of points by booking with Chase Ultimate Rewards points on the Chase travel portal. Depending on which card you have, it will only cost between 155,465-233,198 Chase Ultimate Rewards points.
Hot Tip:You won’t earn hotel loyalty points when booking a hotel through Chase and any elite status you have may not be recognized.
Prices for the Almond Tree In in Key West, FL were lowest directly with the hotel, but Chase Ultimate Rewa offered the next best price.
Here’s how the prices stacked up:
|Website||Cost of a 7-night stay at the Almond Tree Inn|
|Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal||$1,816.37|
Once again, the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal beat OTAs including Hotwire and Expedia, but not the hotel’s own website. But if you want to book a hotel using your points, it’s a great option to be able to use them for small, boutique hotels in addition to the big chains.
In many cases, car rental prices found through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal were better than prices found on the rental agency’s own website.
The main difference in booking through Chase vs. directly through a car rental agency is that the car rental agency often has the ability to book the car without paying up front. With the Chase portal, you will be paying at the time of booking and there may be change or cancellation fees if you need to modify your reservation.
Chase prices for a week-long rental were always in the ballpark of the price of booking direct. Hotwire’s Hot Rate cars always beat out other prices slightly. (Hotwire Hot Rates are rentals where you don’t know the rental agency until after booking is complete).
Of course, the advantage of booking through Chase is the ability to use your Chase Ultimate Rewards points.
|Car type||Chase Ultimate Rewards||Rental agency’s website||Hotwire Hot Rate||Expedia|
|Compact||$343.37||$327.65 (Dollar pay now price)||$342.33 (unknown agency)||$358.30 (Dollar)|
|Full size||$370.48||$375.35 (Alamo pay now price)||$366.38 (unknown agency)||$392.40 (Alamo)|
Some activities were less expensive through Chase, some were more expensive.
|Activity||Price per person through Chase||Price per person direct||Price per person through TripAdvisor|
Prices for cruises all over the map. Chase offered the best price for both of the Royal Caribbean and Princess cruises. However, Chase had by far the highest price for the Norwegian cruise.
|Chase Ultimate Rewards||Cruise line’s website||Cruise.com|
|7-night Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbean||$924||$998||$978|
|7-night Mediterranean cruise on Princess||$949||$998||N/A|
|7-night Hawaii cruise on Norwegian||$1,899||$1,399||$1,399|
Other Ways to Use the Chase Ultimate Rewards Portal
Earn Bonus Points
The Chase Ultimate Rewards portal also helps you earn bonus points! With the Shop Through Chase feature, you can earn extra Ultimate Rewards points through your online shopping.
Just click Earn Bonus Points in the top search bar to access the shopping portal. Click on a featured store or search for a specific one. Then simply click through the portal to your website of choice to make your purchase. Your bonus points will be added to your Chase Ultimate Rewards points total within 3-5 days in most cases.
Did you know you can link your Chase Ultimate Rewards account to Amazon to shop with your points? Click on Use Points To Shop in the top search bar, then select the green Link to Amazon.com button.
Sign in to your Amazon account and link your cards by clicking the Get Started button at the upper right-hand side of your screen. If your purchase is eligible for payment with points, you will see the option in the payment methods section of the Amazon checkout process.
However, I linked one of my cards and tested multiple products, and I couldn’t find even one product that was eligible to be purchased with Chase Ultimate Rewards points. In addition, the redemption value you get when shopping through Amazon isn’t good: only .8 cents per point. While it’s great to have this as an option, I wouldn’t recommend using points to shop at Amazon as your main use of Chase Ultimate Rewards points.
Use Chase Pay
The other option to shop with your points is through Chase Pay. Just as with shopping with points through Amazon, I don’t love this option because you are only getting .8 cents per point.
To use this feature, you will need to download the Chase Pay app. When paying for a purchase, slide the Use Points button so it turns blue and you’ll be set up to use Chase points through Chase Pay. Your points will be deducted automatically and you will see the value of the points as a statement credit.
Bottom Line: The value of using your Chase Ultimate Rewards points to shop through Amazon or Chase Pay isn’t great: you will only get .8 cents per point!
In addition to booking travel with points, you can choose to exchange them for straight cash-back. To do this, simply select Cash Back from the main search bar at the top of the screen. You will then be able to see the maximum amount of cash-back you can receive. You can also choose a lower amount here.
In the Redeem To box at the bottom, select whether you want to have your cash direct deposited into a checking or savings account or if you would like it as a statement credit. Click Continue to review your cash-back request and then click the green Confirm & Submit button to complete the transaction. The deposit or statement credit will be posted within 3 days.
Bottom Line: Your Chase Ultimate Rewards points are worth 1 cent each when redeemed as cash-back. We do not recommend this as a primary redemption option because you can get more value via the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal, and a lot more when transferring to airline and hotel partners.
This is a really cool section of the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal.
When you click on Experiences in the main search bar, you will see a list of exclusive events, preferred seating, and other offers for Chase cardmembers. You will find culinary events, sporting events, shows, and concerts.
Experiences can be purchased with a credit card or with points. You will get 1 cent per point when redeeming points for experiences. Be sure to check the details of each event, as some are for specific cardmembers only. When you click on the green Learn More button for an event, you will be able to see if there is a credit card requirement
If you prefer gift cards, you can purchase them through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal using points. Just click Gift Cards in the main search bar to get started. From here, you will be able to scroll through all of the available gift cards. Click the green Choose Options button underneath the card image to see the available increments.
Hot Tip: Points redeemed for gift cards have a 1 cent per point value. However, you might notice some cards offer discounts, so there is the opportunity to get a bit more value!
Transfer To Travel Partners
Transferring points to travel partners is the best way to get the most value out of your points. By transferring, you can potentially get 2, 3 or (a lot) more cents per point value.
Chase Airline Transfer Partners
|Chase Airline Transfer Partner||Min Transfer||Transfer Ratio|
(Chase > Airline)
|Aer Lingus AerClub||1,000||1:1||Almost Instant|
|Air Canada Aeroplan||1,000||1:1||Almost Instant|
|British Airways Executive Club||1,000||1:1||Almost Instant|
|Flying Blue AIR FRANCE KLM||1,000||1:1||1 hour|
|Emirates Skywards||1,000||1:1||Almost instant|
|Iberia Plus||1,000||1:1||Almost Instant|
|Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer||1,000||1:1||1-2 days|
|Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards||1,000||1:1||Almost Instant|
|United Airlines MileagePlus||1,000||1:1||Almost Instant|
|Virgin Atlantic Flying Club||1,000||1:1||Almost Instant|
Chase Hotel Transfer Partners
To transfer your Chase Ultimate Rewards points to any of the above airline and hotel partners, log on to your account and click on Transfer To Travel Partners in the top search box. Choose your airline or hotel and then select Transfer Points. You will fill out your frequent flyer information or hotel loyalty membership number to complete the transfer.
Bottom Line: You can currently transfer your Chase Ultimate Rewards points to 13 different hotel and airline partners.
There are many ways to use your Chase Ultimate Rewards points. While transferring your points out to one of Chase’s airline and hotel travel partners can get you maximum value, there are a lot of benefits for booking travel directly through the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel portal.
In addition to hotels and flights, you can book car rentals, activities, and cruises. Or, you can use your points for cash back, shopping, gift cards, or Chase exclusive experiences. With so many ways to use your Chase Ultimate Rewards points, your next trip is only a few clicks away!
The information regarding Chase Freedom Unlimited®, Chase Ink Plus Business Card, Chase Freedom Flex SM, and Chase Freedom® was independently collected by Upgraded Points and not provided nor reviewed by the issuer.