Sun Country Airlines charges for everything but a personal item and the baggage fees depend on when and how you purchase your baggage. That said, there’s only $10 between purchasing a bag at the time of booking compared to at the airport, so it’s not the biggest difference that we’ve seen.
Table of contents
Table of Contents
Sun Country Airlines Carry-On Allowance
1 personal item: FREE
Standard carry-on bag:
- At the time of booking online: $30
- At the time of booking via the contact center: $35
- Online post-booking or during online check-in: $35
- Post-booking via the contact center: $40
- Purchased at the airport: $40
Size and Weight Restrictions
- Personal: No weight limit disclosed and 17 x 13 x 9 inches (43 x 33 x 22.9 cm)
- Carry-On: 35 pounds (15.9 kg) and 24 x 16 x 11 inches (61 x 40.5 x 28 cm)
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- Infants are not permitted any carry-on allowance, so any items would need to be carried in the adult’s carry-on.
Stroller Check Policy
- Passengers may check a stroller and/or a car seat free of charge either at the ticketing desk or at the gate.
Sun Country Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance
Individual checked bags may not exceed maximum linear dimensions of 62 inches (158 cm) including handles and wheels. Checked bags can weigh a maximum of 50 pounds (23 kg) or will be subject to overweight fees.
|First Bag||Second Bag||Third Bag|
|Online at the time of booking||Up to $30||$40||$40|
|Post-booking online or during online check-in||$35||$45||$50|
|At the time of booking via the contact center||$35||$45||$50|
|Post-booking via the contact center||$40||$50||$60|
|At the airport||$40||$50||$60|
Excess Baggage Fees
- 51-60 pounds (23-27 kg): +$20
- 61-100 pounds (27.7-45.4 kg): +$60
- 63+ linear inches (160 cm): $100
For baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment, musical instruments, etc.) please refer to Sun Country Airline’s policy.
Can I Pre-Pay for Baggage?
Sun Country Airlines does allow passengers the ability to pre-pay luggage.
These are the ways you can pre-pay:
- Log-in to your booking via the “My Trips” tab and add the number of bags that you would like to purchase.
- Call the contact center at 651-905-2737.
Credit Cards That Wipe Away Your Baggage Fees
While Sun County’s credit card doesn’t offer free bags, there are ways to avoid paying carry-on, checked, and oversized baggage fees. The best way to do this is to charge your Sun County baggage fees to a Capital One® Venture® Rewards card. You can then use the card’s Purchase Eraser tool to “erase” the fee from your statement.
In short, the Purchase Eraser lets you use your Capital One points to cover any type of travel purchase. For example, if you pay $30 to buy a Sun County carry-on bag online, you can use 3,000 points to erase the charge. Just note that you have 90 days from the date of purchase to erase travel charges.
Alternatively, you can use the Sun Country Airlines® Visa Signature® Card to save 50% on your first bag. Other card benefits include complimentary premium beverages, priority boarding, and more.
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card - This no annual fee card comes with a 20,000 mile welcome bonus (worth $200) once you spend $1,000 within the first 3 months. When you use your card for travel purchases (e.g. baggage fees), use your miles to pay off all, or part of, your statement! This is why we like this card.|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card - The "big brother" card to the VentureOne with a 100,000 bonus miles offer when you spend $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or still earn 50,000 miles if you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. Plus, redeem your miles on travel or transfer your miles to over 10+ travel loyalty programs.|
Exclusions and Waivers
- Active U.S. Military: 3 free bags (2 checked and 1 overhead) are permitted. A valid Common Access Card (CAC) with “Uniformed Services” must be presented at the airport. Oversized bag fees are waived on the first 2 checked bags.
- Sun Country Airlines® Visa Signature® Cardholders: 50% off the first bag when purchased online via the contact center.
To see more airline baggage fees and policies, click here.