Alitalia’s basic baggage policy follows a general trend: free carry-ons plus traditional inclusions for checked bags (1 for Economy, 2 for Premium Economy, Business and First).
For Alitalia, added fees get more complicated when it comes to extra pieces and overweight/oversized baggage. As you can see in our tables below, this excess pricing is highly “route dependent”.
Table of contents
Table of Contents
Alitalia Carry-On Allowance
1 personal item: FREE
1 standard carry-on: FREE
- Personal: 17.7 x 14.2 x 7.9 inches (45 x 36 x 20 cm) such as a briefcase, handbag or laptop bag
- Standard: 21.6 x 13.8 x 9.8 inches (55 x 35 x 25 cm) up to 17.6 pounds (8 kg)
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- Each infant is entitled to an additional bag of up to 22 pounds (10 kg) if the accompanying adult has booked a standard fare. If the adult has booked a Light fare, then no cabin allowance is permitted for the infant.
Stroller Check Policy
- Strollers will be sent to the destination free of charge, however Alitalia is unclear on whether the stroller must be checked with the other bags or if it can be checked at the gate.
Alitalia Checked Baggage Allowance
All checked bags must adhere to a max weight of 50 pounds (23 kg) for Economy, Premium Economy and Comfort fares; 70 pounds (32 kg) for Business, and max linear dimensions of 62 inches (158 cm).
Light: for purchase $29-67 per segment
Economy: 1st bag included* (50 pounds / 23 kg)
Premium Economy: 2 bags included (50 pounds / 23 kg)**
Business: 2 bags included (70 pounds / 32 kg)
Comfort (Rome-Milan): 2 bags included (50 pounds / 23 kg)
* 2 x 50 pound (23 kg) bags are permitted on flights:
- To/from Japan or Brazil
- From Middle East and India (excl. Israel) to Usa, Mexico, Canada and vv
- From the New Delhi to Europe, East Europe, North Africa and the Middle East and vv
**2 x 70 pound (32 kg) bags are permitted from Brazil
Excess / Additional Baggage Fees (excluding USA, Canada and Mexico)
|Route||Excess weight charge||Excess size charge||2nd Extra Piece||3rd to 6th extra piece|
|Europe and North Africa||$75||$100||$75||$250|
|Middle East (excl. Egypt)||$95||n/a||$95||$250|
|Rest of world||$125||$370||$125||$250|
Excess / Additional Baggage Fees (USA and Mexico)
- Excess weight (from 50-70 pounds / 23-32 kg): $100
- Oversized (from 62-80 inches / 158-203 cm): $300
- Additional pieces: 2nd piece $100, 3rd-6th pieces $285
Excess Baggage Fees (Canada)
|Route||Excess Weight Fee|
|From Middle East, Jordan, Israel and North Africa||$75|
|To North Africa||$75|
|To Middle East, Jordan and Israel||$100|
|From Europe and Japan||$85|
|From Egypt, India, South and Central America||$100|
|To Europe, India, Japan, South and Central America||$120|
Oversized Baggage Fees (Canada)
|From Middle East, Jordan, Israel and North Africa, Egypt, South and Central America||$300|
|To Middle East, Jordan, Israel and North Africa, Egypt and Japan||$360|
|From Europe and Japan||$250|
|To South and Central America||$370|
Additional Piece (Canada)
|Route||Additional Bag Fee|
|2nd piece from Europe||$85|
|2nd piece to/from Israel and Jordan||$100|
|2nd piece to Europe, South and Central America||$120|
|3rd piece from Israel, Jordan, Middle East, India, South or Central America||$200|
|3rd piece from Europe and Japan||$240|
|3rd piece to Europe, Japan, India, South and Central America||$330|
Light Fare Baggage Charges (charged per direction)
- Purchased online or with the call centre: $29 ($57-$67 for intercontinental flights)*
- Airport ticket desk: $51 ($57-$67 for intercontinental flights)
*Reduced pre-paid baggage is not available on flights from Amsterdam, Belgrade, Corfù, Dubrovnik, Fuerteventura, Geneva, Havana, Ibiza, Menorca, Mykonos, Las Palmas, Olbia, Oran, Palma de Mallorca, Paris Charles de Gaulle, Podgorica, Santorini, Split, Tenerife, Teheran, Tirana, Tunis, Zurich. Baggage can only be purchased at the airport.
For baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment, musical instruments, etc.) please refer to Alitalia’s policy here.
Can I Pre-pay for Baggage?
Alitalia does allow passengers the ability to pre-pay baggage online or via the mobile app.
Here are the ways you can pre-pay for baggage:
- Log in to your booking on Alitalia’s website and visit the ‘My Flights’ section.
- Log in to your booking on Alitalia’s mobile app and visit the ‘My Flights’ section.
Credit Cards That Reimburse You For Checked Bag Fees
Get reimbursed for checked bag fees when flying Alitalia by using one of these three cards:
|Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card - This no annual fee card comes with a 20,000 bonus mile offer after spending $500 in the first 3 months. When you use your card for travel purchases (e.g. baggage fees), use your miles to pay off all, or part of, your statement balance! We've highlighted 30+ benefits of the card.|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card - The "big brother" card to the VentureOne with a 60,000 bonus miles when you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. This card is full of benefits and perks and you can redeem your miles on travel (flights, hotels, even paying for baggage fees etc) or transfer your miles to over 10+ travel loyalty programs.|
Exclusions & Waivers
MilleMiglia Members: Ulisse, Freccia Alata, and Freccia Alata Plus receive an additional 50 pound (23 kg) bag when traveling Economy and a 70 pound (32 kg) bag in Premium Economy or Business.
Skyteam Members: Elite or Elite Plus members of Skyteam receive an extra allowance (10 kg for Elite, 20 kg for Elite Plus), or one additional bag where the piece concept applies. This depends on routing.