Sun Country Airlines charges for everything but a personal item and the baggage fees depend on when and how you purchase your baggage. That said, there’s only $10 between purchasing a bag at the time of booking compared to at the airport, so it’s not the biggest difference that we’ve seen.
Sun Country Airlines Carry-On Allowance
1 personal item: FREE
Standard carry-on bag:
- At the time of booking online: $30
- At the time of booking via the contact center: $38
- Online post-booking or during online check-in: $38
- Post-booking via the contact center: $38
- Purchased at the airport: $45
Size and Weight Restrictions
- Personal: No weight limit disclosed and 17 x 13 x 9 inches (43 x 33 x 22.9 cm)
- Carry-On: 35 pounds (15.9 kg) and 24 x 16 x 11 inches (61 x 40.5 x 28 cm)
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- Infants are not permitted any carry-on allowance, so any items would need to be carried in the adult’s carry-on.
Stroller Check Policy
- Passengers may check a stroller and/or a car seat free of charge either at the ticketing desk or at the gate.
Sun Country Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance
Individual checked bags may not exceed maximum linear dimensions of 62 inches (158 cm) including handles and wheels. Checked bags can weigh a maximum of 50 pounds (23 kg) or will be subject to overweight fees.
|First Bag||Second Bag||Third Bag|
|Online at the time of booking||Up to $30||$40||$40|
|Post-booking online or during online check-in||$38||$45||$50|
|At the time of booking via the contact center||$38||$45||$50|
|Post-booking via the contact center||$40||$50||$60|
|At the airport||$45||$50||$60|
Excess Baggage Fees
- 51-60 pounds (23-27 kg): +$20
- 61-100 pounds (27.7-45.4 kg): +$60
- 63+ linear inches (160 cm): $100
For baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment, musical instruments, etc.) please refer to Sun Country Airline’s policy.
Can I Pre-Pay for Baggage?
Sun Country Airlines does allow passengers the ability to pre-pay luggage.
These are the ways you can pre-pay:
- Log-in to your booking via the “My Trips” tab and add the number of bags that you would like to purchase.
- Call the contact center at 651-905-2737.
Exclusions and Waivers
- Active U.S. Military: 3 free bags (2 checked and 1 overhead) are permitted. A valid Common Access Card (CAC) with “Uniformed Services” must be presented at the airport. Oversized bag fees are waived on the first 2 checked bags.
- Sun Country Airlines® Visa Signature® Cardholders: 50% off the first bag when purchased online via the contact center.
To see more airline baggage fees and policies, click here.
Featured Image Credit:
Shutterstock and Sun Country Airlines
Frequently asked questions
Do you get a free checked bag with Sun Country?
Only select passengers get free checked luggage with Sun Country Airlines. These include active U.S. military and Sun Country Airlines® Visa Signature® Cardholders. All other passengers must purchase luggage separately.
What is a personal item on Sun Country?
A personal item on Sun Country Airlines includes things such as a purse, backpack, duffel bag, or other item that fits under the seat in front of you and meets size restrictions of 17 x 13 x 9 inches (43 x 33 x 22.9 cm).
How much does it cost to check a bag on Sun Country Airlines?
Sun Country Airlines charges $30-$45 for the first checked bag with the fee depending on when and how the bag is purchased.
Does a backpack count as a personal item on Sun Country?
A backpack would count as a personal item providing it does not exceed the maximum size restrictions of 17 x 13 x 9 inches (43 x 33 x 22.9 cm).
How to Beat the Crowds & Lock In Affordable Travel While You Still Can...
With lockdowns ending, the demand for travel is surging to record levels - and so are prices.
We’ll show you the strategies and tools to unlock huge savings, but that window is closing fast - so you
need to get on this right now.
Download our last-chance playbook here:
Disclaimer: Any comments listed below are not from the bank advertiser, nor have they been reviewed or approved by them. No responsibility will be taken by the bank advertiser for these comments.