Turkish Airlines works on a weight system for certain international destinations and a piece system for others, so check out the list of destinations below before traveling so you know what you’re eligible for.
Journeys to and from the U.S. work on the piece system and the checked allowance is 2 bags across economy and business classes with a generous 70 pounds (32 kg) for the latter.
If you join Turkish Airlines’ frequent flyer program, Miles&Smiles, you’ll be permitted to take an additional piece of checked luggage once you hit Elite or Elite Plus status.
Table of contents
Table of Contents
Turkish Airlines Carry-On Allowance
1 personal item: FREE
1 standard carry-on bag: FREE
Size and Weight Restrictions
- Personal: Undisclosed
- Standard: 21.6 x 15.7 x 9 inches (55 x 40 x 23 cm). The maximum weight for each item is 17.6 pounds (8 kg).
Update: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, passengers are only permitted to take a personal item into the cabin. A standard carry-on bag will be checked free of charge.
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- Infants are permitted 1 piece of carry-on not exceeding 17.6 pounds (8 kg).
- Strollers are not permitted in the cabin.
Stroller Gate Check Policy
- A collapsible stroller can be transported free of charge as checked luggage either at the check-in desk or at the gate.
Turkish Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance
Turkish Airlines no longer presents their baggage allowances or fees in table format and passengers are required to use the airline’s baggage calculator to check the allowance for a specific journey. Running some searches, we found the consistent fees below, but be sure to use the calculator for your journey.
- Business Class: 66 pounds (30 kg)
- Economy Class:
- EcoFly: 33 pounds (15 kg)
- ExtraFly: 44 pounds (20 kg)
- PrimeFly: 55 pounds (25 kg)
International Journeys That Work on a Piece Allowance
This is applicable for flights to and from Angola, Argentina, Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Canada, Chad, Colombia, Cuba, Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Japan, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Niger, Nigeria, Panama, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, South America, Sudan, U.S., and Venezuela.
Adult and child passengers are allowed to bring a maximum of 2 bags as free checked luggage with a maximum linear size of 62 inches (158 cm).
- Business Class: 70 pounds (32 kg)
- Economy Class: 50 pounds (23 kg)
- Infant passenger: 1 bag (50 pounds/23 kg) with a max linear size of 45 inches (115 cm) and 1 stroller or push chair
All Other International Journeys Work on a Weight Allowance (No Restrictions on Number of Pieces)
- Business Class: 66 pounds (30 kg)
- Economy Class: 44 pounds (20 kg)
Additional/Excess Baggage Fees
- $2 (12 TRY) per kilogram
International Journeys for Weight System (Charged per Kilo)
|Departure – Destination||Region 1||Region 2||Region 3||Region 4||Region 5|
Prices have been converted from EUR, so the exchange may vary.
Weight System Region Definitions
- Region 1: Aleppo, Athens, Batumi, Bucharest, Chisinau, Constanta, Donetsk, Ganja, Nakhichevan, Odessa, Pristina, Sarajevo, Simferopol, Skopje, Sofia, Thessaloniki, Tirana, Varna
- Region 2: Alexandria, Almaty, Amman, Aqaba, Ashgabat, Astana, Astrakhan, Bari, Beirut, Belgrade, Bishkek, Bologna, Budapest, Cairo, Catania, Damascus, Dnipropetrovsk, Dushanbe, Graz, Hurghada, Ivano-Frankivsk, Kabul, Kharkiv, Kherson, Khujand, Kiev, Kosice, Ljubljana, Luxor, Lviv, Malta, Mazar-i-Sharif, Minsk, Naples, Osh, Pisa, Podgorica, Rome, Rostov-on-Don, Salzburg, Samarkand, Sharm El Sheikh, Sochi, Stavropol, Tabriz, Tashkent, Tbilisi, Tel Aviv, Venice, Vienna, Warsaw, Zagreb, Zaporizhia, Krasnodar
- Region 3: Algeria, Amsterdam, Baghdad, Baku, Basel, Basara, Batna, Benghazi, Berlin, Bremen, Brussels, Cologne, Constantine, Düsseldorf, Erbil, Frankfurt, Friedrichshafen, Geneva, Genoa, Hamburg, Hannover, Karlsruhe, Leipzig, Luxembourg, Lyon, Marseille, Milan, Misurata, Moscow, Mosul, Munich, Munster, Najaf, Nice, Nuremburg, Oran, Prague, Riga, Rotterdam, Sebha, Stuttgart, Suleymaniyah, Tallinn, Tlemcen, Tripoli, Tripoli, Turin, Ulan Bator, Vilnius, Zurich
- Region 4: Aalborg, Abu Dhabi, Aden, Ahvaz, Al Qassim, Bahrain, Barcelona, Bilbao, Billund, Birmingham, Bordeaux, Copenhagen, Dammam, Doha, Dubai, Dublin, Edinburgh, Gothenburg, Helsinki, Isfahan, Jeddah, Kazan, Kermanshah, Kuwait, London, Madrid, Malaga, Manchester, Mashhad, Medina, Novosibirsk, Oslo, Paris, Riyadh, Rovaniemi, Sana’a, Santiago de Compostela, Shiraz, Sharjah, St Petersburg, Stockholm, Taif, Tehran, Toulouse, Ufa, Valencia, Voronezh, Yanbu, Yekaterinburg
- Region 5: Addis Ababa, Bangkok, Denpasar-Bali, Beijing, Cape Town, Casablanca, Colombo, Dar es Salaam, Dhaka, Djibouti, Durban, Entebbe, Guangzhou, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Hong Kong, Islamabad, Jakarta, Johannesburg, Karachi, Kathmandu, Kigali, Kilimanjaro, Kuala Lumpur, Lahore, Lisbon, Male, Manila, Maputo, Marrakesh, Mogadishu, Mombasa, Mumbai, Muscat, Nairobi, New Delhi, Phuket, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Taipei, Zanzibar, Lusaka
International Journeys for Piece System (Charged per Bag)
|Departure – Destination||Piece Region (Extra Piece)|
Piece System Region Definitions
Piece Region 1: Abidjan, Abuja, Accra, Antananarivo, Asmara, Atlanta, Bamako, Banjul, Boston, Bogota, Buenos Aires, Cancun, Caracas, Chicago, Conakry, Cotonou, Dakar, Douala, Freetown, Havana, Houston, Kano, Khartum, Kinshasa, Lagos, Libreville, Los Angeles, Luanda, Mahe Island, Mauritius, Mexico City, Miami, Moroni, Montreal, New York, Novakchott, Niamey, Osaka, Ouagadougou, Panama, Pointe Noir, Port Harcourt, Port Sudan, San Francisco, Sao Paulo, Toronto, Tokyo, Washington, Yaounde
Can I Prepay for Baggage?
Recommended Cards That Reimburse Your Baggage Fees
If you need to cover some (or all) checked bag fees that are charged by Turkish Airlines, consider some of the Capital One cards in the table below:
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card - This no annual fee card comes with a 20,000 bonus mile offer after spending $500 in the first 3 months. When you use your card for travel purchases (e.g. baggage fees), use your miles to pay off all, or part of, your statement balance! We've highlighted 30+ benefits of the card.|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card - The "big brother" card to the VentureOne with a 100,000 bonus miles when you spend $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or still earn 50,000 miles if you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. This card is full of benefits and perks and you can redeem your miles on travel (flights, hotels, even paying for baggage fees etc) or transfer your miles to over 10+ travel loyalty programs.|
Use the Purchase Eraser tool on the Capital One website to cover your baggage fee charges at 1 cent per point.
Exclusions and Waivers
- Classic Plus: extra 22 pounds (10 kg)
- Elite Extra: extra 44 pounds (20 kg) or 1 extra piece (for piece concept routes)
- Elite Plus: extra 55 pounds (25 kg) or 1 extra piece (for piece concept routes)
For flights to the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, excess baggage charges per kilo are:
- Students: $0.70 (4 TRY)
- Military personnel part of the Turkish Peacekeeping Forces: $0.70 (4 TRY)
To benefit from these discounts, baggage must be purchased at a Turkish Airlines sales office.