Air New Zealand has a fairly standard baggage policy, with reasonable charges for extra checked luggage booked online up to 3 hours before departure for international flights.
It’s worth planning ahead, as excess baggage charges at check-in are more than double the cost of adding a bag in advance — so be sure to take advantage of this!
Table of Contents
Air New Zealand Carry-on Allowance:
1 personal item: FREE
1 standard carry-on bag: Free for economy passengers
2 standard carry-on bags: Premium economy, Business Premier, connecting Business Premier, and Airpoints Gold, Elite, and Star Alliance Gold members
Size and Weight Restrictions
- Personal: Undisclosed
- Standard: Total size of 118 cm (46.5 inches) weighing 7 kg (15 lb) for economy passengers.
- All other cabin classes: 14 kg (30 lb) total, with 1 item weighing up to 10 kg (22 lb).
Lap Infant Carry-on Policy
- Car seats can be taken as a carry-on, and a single stroller can usually be taken on board. It’s best to confirm at the check-in desk, as some aircraft have different storage facilities.
Stroller Gate Check Policy
- A stroller and/or car seat can be transported as checked luggage, even if the passenger hasn’t booked any additional checked luggage.
Air New Zealand Checked Baggage Allowance:
All checked bags must adhere to a max weight of 23 kg (50 lb) and max linear dimensions of 158 cm (62”).
seat+bag Fare: 1 piece
flexitime Fare: 1 piece
Smart Saver Fare: 1 piece
flexidate Fare: 2 pieces
seat+bag Fare: 1 piece
theworks Fare: 1 piece
Economy Fare: 1 piece
worksdeluxe Fare: 2 pieces
Premium Economy Fare: 2 pieces
Business Premier Fare: 3 pieces
Business Fare: 3 pieces
Recommended Cards That Reimburse Your Baggage Fees:
|Credit Card||Card & Fee Reimbursement Details|
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card|
|American Express® Gold Card|
|The Platinum Card® from American Express|
How We Get $1,500+ In Value From This Card (Per Year) >
|The Business Platinum Card® from American Express|
|Chase Sapphire Reserve®|
Additional/Excess Baggage Fees:
Additional baggage can be added to a booking online up to 3 hours before an international flight and 30 minutes before a domestic flight.
|Flights||1st Extra Bag||2nd Extra Bag|
|Domestic New Zealand Flights||$26||$45|
|Flights to/from Australia and the Pacific, except Perth, Honolulu, and Bali||$45||$71|
|Long-haul flights (excluding London)||$78||$117|
|Flights to/from London||$117||$143|
International allowance from U.S. to all destinations (at check-in):
- First additional piece: $180
- Second additional piece: $220
- Third and subsequent additional pieces: $260
- Overweight (for bags over 23 kg but under 32 kg) and oversized items: $180
Excess baggage charges are dependent on the exiting country. View the full list of charges here.
Most sporting equipment counts as checked luggage with standard weight allowances. Check excess baggage charges for more details.
Exclusions & Waivers:
Koru members and Gold, Elite, and Elite Partner frequent flyer tiers can take a free extra bag on top of the standard allowance for their own fare (not a family member’s fare). This excludes business and seat Fares.
- Airpoints Gold, Elite, and Star Alliance Gold members can add an extra bag for free to their own ticket, where the ticketed itinerary has 2 or more Star Alliance airlines (except for seat Fares).
- The baggage allowance is 2 checked bags for The Works Fares to Honolulu.
- For economy fares to Shanghai, Singapore, and Taipei, the baggage allowance is 2 checked bags.
- From 19 September 2018 for economy fares departing Australia to the U.S. (excluding Honolulu), South America, and Canada, the baggage allowance is 2 checked bags.
Featured Image: Courtesy of Shutterstock; Logo courtesy of Air New Zealand