With 18 hotel brands and over 6,500 properties in 119 countries, it’s no wonder so many travelers are Hilton fans. You’re sure to find a property that fits your style and budget no matter where you travel.
The Hilton Honors loyalty program, one of the industry’s best, focuses successfully on rewarding Hilton loyalists and is complemented nicely by the collection of Hilton Honors credit card offerings that also support brand loyalty.
And just as the Hilton brand has a property for every type of traveler, its branded credit cards follow suit with several tailored card options. American Express has created Hilton Honors-branded cards that match your spending patterns, the frequency with which you stay at Hilton, the level of benefits you prefer, and whether you want to pay an annual fee or not.
If you stay at Hilton properties, even occasionally, you can benefit from free hotel nights, elite-status perks, and even worldwide lounge access simply by having a Hilton Honors-branded credit card.
With several Hilton Honors cards to choose from, join us as we explore the benefits of each Hilton Honors card to seek out which is best for you.
The Best Hilton Honors Credit Cards
Hilton co-branded credit cards have it all — a welcome offer worth several free hotel nights, accelerated Hilton Honors points earnings, and complimentary elite status. But that’s not all. You’ll find cards with worldwide airport lounge access, statement credits for specific purchases, and additional travel benefits.
Let’s take a look at what you can expect from each Hilton co-branded card.
If you’re seeking a no-annual-fee card that offers elite benefits, accelerated earnings when staying at Hilton properties, and additional earnings on everyday spending, the Hilton Honors card may work well for you (see rates and fees).
Top Reasons To Get the Hilton Honors Card
- Complimentary Silver elite status
- 7x points per dollar spent on eligible purchases charged directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton portfolio
- 5x points per dollar spent on eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. supermarkets, and at U.S. gas stations
- 3x points for all other eligible purchases
The Perfect Cardholder
The perfect cardholder will value the exceptional earning power of the Hilton Honors card and use it for everyday purchases such as groceries, gas, and dining out, so points add up fast.
They may also have a family who looks forward to an annual vacation. Hilton Honors members receive the fifth consecutive award night free, making those points you’ve earned on your Hilton Honors card go much further.
Bottom Line: If Hilton is your brand of choice, you want accelerated earnings, and you value base-level elite benefits but don’t want to pay an annual fee, the Hilton Honors card could be a solid fit.
The Hilton Surpass card is popular because it kicks things up a notch over the Hilton Honors card with several additional benefits and greater earnings — and all without a high annual fee.
Top Reasons To Get the Hilton Surpass Card
- Weekend Night Reward after spending $15,000 in a calendar year
- 10 single-visit passes per year to Priority Pass lounges
- Hilton Honors Gold elite status
- Ability to earn Diamond elite status after spending $40,000 in a calendar year
- 12x points per dollar of eligible purchases with a hotel or resort within the Hilton portfolio
- 6x points per dollar spent at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. gas stations
- 3x points per dollar spent on all other purchases
The Perfect Cardholder
The perfect cardholder is comfortable paying a relatively low annual fee to reap the associated benefits of higher earnings, complimentary airport lounge access, and Hilton Honors Gold elite status.
The cardholder is a traveler but not necessarily a frequent one as they can maximize the value of the card with just a few trips each year. Using the complimentary lounge access passes even 2 times with a guest will deliver enough value to offset the annual fee.
Add the value of earning 12x points at Hilton hotels and resorts, plus 6x points on everyday spending, and the card becomes worthy for the traveler who stays, even occasionally, at Hilton.
Bottom Line: The Hilton Surpass card delivers great value for a relatively low annual fee. The complimentary elite status, worldwide airport lounge access, and higher earnings all create value worth more than the annual fee.
Own a business and stay at Hilton properties? The Hilton Business Amex card ensures you’ll be enjoying airport lounge access, complimentary hotel nights, and elite status while you travel.
Top Reasons To Get the Hilton Business Amex Card
- Free Weekend Night Reward after spending $15,000 on the card in a calendar year, and a second Weekend Night Reward after spending $45,000 more
- 10 free airport lounge visits each year once enrolled in complimentary Priority Pass Select membership
- Hilton Honors Gold elite status
- Ability to earn Diamond elite status after spending $40,000 on the card in a calendar year
- 12x points per dollar spent at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio
- 6x points per dollar spent on select business and travel purchases
- 3x points per dollar spent on all other eligible purchases
The Perfect Cardholder
The frequent business traveler who appreciates luxury travel benefits, spends a lot on travel, and chooses Hilton as their brand of choice is the perfect cardholder. They’re also savvy and understand the value they’ll receive for such a low annual fee.
If you’re a small business owner or head of a much larger enterprise, you’ll experience elevated earnings on purchases business travelers make most often and accumulate points quickly.
The Hilton Aspire card offers great benefits and shines as a premium travel rewards card. The card offers extraordinary earnings, complimentary top-level Hilton Honors elite status, worldwide airport lounge access, statement credits for select purchases, and free hotel nights.
Top Reasons To Get the Hilton Aspire Card
The Perfect Cardholder
The perfect cardholder is a frequent traveler. In addition to staying frequently at Hilton properties, they also value luxury travel perks such as airport lounge access, and the benefits of top-tier elite status.
The cardholder who may realize the most value may already be paying for an airline lounge membership and could save money by having this card.
Hot Tip: Curious how this card stacks up to other premium travel rewards credit cards? Check out our head-to-head comparison of the Hilton Aspire card vs. The Platinum Card® from American Express.
Complimentary Elite Status With Hilton Honors Credit Cards
The Value of Hilton Honors Elite Status
Prior to securing a Hilton Honors card, you’ll want to sign up for the Hilton Honors rewards program. Just for signing up, you’ll receive perks such as member discounts, free Wi-Fi, and late checkout.
The benefits of elite status are many and grow increasingly more valuable the higher you climb on the elite-status ladder.
Hilton Honors-Branded Cards Provide a Faster Path to Elite Status
Normally you’d need to have 4 stays or 10 nights per year to reach Silver elite status, 20 stays or 40 nights for Gold, and 30 stays or 60 nights for Diamond. You can also reach these elite levels when earning 10,000, 75,000, and 120,000 base points, respectively, by spending at Hilton properties.
Update: See how Hilton Honors has adjusted 2021 and 2022 points and status expiration, elite qualification, free night awards, and more in this article: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Hotel Elite Status Extensions, Changes, and Updates.
If you want complimentary Hilton Honors elite status without having to worry about the number of stays, nights, or amount you spend at Hilton each year, holding a Hilton Honors credit card can solve that dilemma.
|Hilton Honors Card
||Spend Your Way To:
|Hilton Honors card
||Gold after spending $20,000 on the card in a calendar year
|Hilton Surpass card
Hilton Business Amex card
||Platinum after spending $40,000 on the card in a calendar year
|Hilton Aspire card
To learn more about Hilton Honors elite status, the associated benefits, and how to qualify, explore our comprehensive guide to Hilton status.
Bottom Line: For complimentary Hilton Honors elite status, there’s no faster or easier way to acquire it than having a Hilton Honors-branded credit card.
Where Your Hilton Honors Points Can Take You
A welcome offer on a Hilton Honors-branded card can exceed 100,000 Hilton Honors points. A free hotel night can range from 5,000 points per night at the very low end, however, you’re likely to spend as much as 95,000 or more — per night — for a luxury property.
Here are just a couple of redemption options:
The recently renovated Conrad Bali is a luxurious beachfront resort; its Balinese-inspired rooms offer private balconies or terraces, flat-screen TVs, and granite bathrooms.
There are 3 restaurants to chose from, featuring Asian and seafood cuisine, as well as a poolside bar and a lobby lounge. The resort also has lagoon-style swimming pools, a spa, gym, Kura-Kura Kids Club, and cultural activities on offer.
Reward stays will cost 29,000 to 40,000 Hilton Honors points per night.
The DoubleTree Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
One of Hilton’s best-value hotels, the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Kuala Lumpur is a 5-star property located in The Intermark shopping complex (which offers plenty of retailers and restaurants).
Rooms feature space to work, a minibar, a flat-screen TV, and an open-concept marble bathroom with a separate walk-in rain shower.
There are 4 eateries, as well as an outdoor saltwater pool, executive lounge, and 24-hour fitness center.
To stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Kuala Lumpur, you will need 14,000 to 20,000 Hilton Honors points per night for the lowest-level awards.
Prices were accurate at the time of writing. Be sure to check current pricing prior to booking.
Hot Tip: If you want more ideas for properties you can book with your Hilton Honors points, here are the best ways to redeem Hilton points for maximum value and the best Hilton luxury hotels you can book with points.
Additional Card Benefits
All Hilton Honors-branded cards come with additional travel/shopping benefits and protections. Let’s take a look.
Travel Benefits and Protections
- Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance: Pay for your rental car in full with your eligible card and receive secondary rental car coverage if the car is damaged or stolen.
- Baggage Insurance Plan: Receive up to $3,000 for eligible lost, damaged, or stolen baggage with the Hilton Aspire card and up to $1,250 with all other Hilton Honors cards.
- Premium Global Assist: 24/7 worldwide assistance for legal, financial, and medical emergency referral services.
Shopping Benefits and Protections
- Purchase Protection: Receive coverage for up to 90 days from the date of purchase for eligible items purchased with your card. The maximum limit for coverage is $1,000 per incident on all Hilton Honors cards with the exception of the Hilton Aspire card which has a $10,000 limit.
- Extended Warranty: Eligible items purchased with your card that have manufacturer’s warranties of 5 years or less receive 1 additional year. Coverage is limited to $10,000 per item.
Please note that this is not a complete list of card benefits and that the coverage descriptions are abbreviated. You can find a list of all associated benefits by accessing the specific card’s Guide to Benefits.
Just as there’s a Hilton property suited for every type of traveler, there’s a Hilton Honors card that matches up with the needs of every type of Hilton traveler.
- The Hilton Honors card offers good earning potential, complimentary elite status, and has no annual fee.
- The Hilton Surpass card has a low annual fee but comes with accelerated earnings, 10 airport lounge passes, and Gold elite status.
- For the business owner, the Hilton Business Amex card delivers elevated earnings, luxury benefits, and the ability to earn additional free hotel nights through spending.
- For the frequent traveler who wants it all, the premium Hilton Aspire card wraps up top-tier elite status, airport lounge membership, high earning potential, free hotel nights, and hundreds of dollars in statement credits.
There truly is a Hilton Honors card for every type of Hilton traveler.
The information regarding the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card and Hilton Honors American Express Surpass® Card was independently collected by Upgraded Points and not provided nor reviewed by the issuer.
For rates and fees of the Hilton Honors American Express Card, click here.
For rates and fees of The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card, click here.