El Al has a fairly standard baggage policy when it comes to allowances for checked lugagge (1 in Economy, 2 in Business, 3 in First).
However, you’ll pay above average fees for each piece over your included allowance. Since these fees are time sensitive, you’ll want to purchase these extra bags as soon as you know you’re bringing them.
That being said, El Al is a bit more generous than most when it comes to carry-on luggage for customers flying in Business and First.
Lastly, if you’re flying without baggage, El Al has a neat little contest giveaway you can enter – see our exclusions section below.
Table of Contents
El Al Carry-On Allowance:
1 personal item: FREE
Economy: 1 standard carry-on item FREE (8kg)
Business: 2 standard carry-on items FREE (20kg total; 16kg max individual)
First: 2 standard carry-on items FREE (24kg total; 16kg max individual)
- Personal: undisclosed
- Standard: 56 x 45 x 25cm (115cm total)
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- An infant for whom a seat was not purchased is not entitled to hand luggage
Stroller Check Policy
- EL AL advises bringing a stroller/carrier for use at the airport and will check the item free of charge at the gate. The item will be returned to you as you disembark at the destination gate.
El Al Checked Baggage Allowance:
All checked bags must adhere to a max weight of 32kg & max linear dimensions of 158cm
Economy: 1 bag (23 kg) included
Premium: 2 bags (23 kg) included
Business: 2 bags (32 kg) included
First Class: 3 bags (32 kg) included
Lap Infant Checked Bag Policy
- An infant for whom a seat was not purchased is entitled to one baggage piece weighing up to 10 kilos and measuring up to 115 cm.
For baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment, musical instruments, etc.) please refer to EL AL’s policy here.
Credit Cards That Give You A Free Checked Bag With El Al
If you are checking bags on an EL Al flight, one of the cards below can reimburse you for some, if not all, of those fees.
|Credit Card||Fee Reimbursement Details|
|Barclays Arrival® Premier World Elite MasterCard®|
|Chase Sapphire Reserve℠||$300 travel credit per calendar year (covers all travel related purchases). Annual Fee: $450|
|Citi Prestige Card||$250 air travel credit per calendar year (covers all travel related purchases). Annual Fee: $450|
Additional / Excess Baggage Fees:
|Route||1st Piece Excess||2+ Pieces Excess||Overweight||Oversized|
|Between Israel & Europe||$85 / $100||$85 / $100||$55 / $70||$85 / $100|
|Between Israel & Far East, |
North America, Johannesburg
|$85 / $100||$185 / $200||$85 / $100||$185 / $200|
*Prices are based on timing of purchase: up to 6hrs pre-flight/ under 6 hrs pre-flight
*The maximum number of pieces of baggage permitted to a passenger is 5
Exclusions & Waivers:
Matmid Club members are entitled to a baggage award on EL AL flights, when ordering up to six hours before flight time.
In addition, FLY CARD credit card holders receive a 50% discount on payment for one additional suitcase (beyond the entitlement) in Economy Class (excluding UP flights). The discount will be given on payments with money or points completed in advance, through the Telephone Service Center (Tel 03-9771111).
See additional details here.
*Flying without Baggage?
- The more you report to EL AL about your flights without checking baggage, the greater your chance is of winning a prize!
- All you have to do is send us your reservation number no later than 3 days before the day of the flight and you will automatically be entered in the competition!
- First Prize: Two tickets to one of EL AL’s direct destinations (Europe, North America, Far East, South Africa)
Second Prize: Two tickets to one of EL AL’s direct destinations in Europe (a total of 4 such prizes will be given)