El Al has a fairly standard baggage policy when it comes to allowances for checked luggage (1 in Economy (excluding their Lite Fare), 2 in Business, 3 in First).
However, you’ll pay above average fees for each piece over your included allowance. For the majority of their routes, these fees are time sensitive, so you’ll want to purchase these extra bags as soon as you know you’re bringing them.
That being said, El Al is a bit more generous than most when it comes to carry-on luggage for customers flying in Business and First.
Table of contents
Table of Contents
El Al Carry-On Allowance
1 personal item: FREE
Economy (Lite & Classc): 1 standard carry-on item FREE (8kg)
Economy Flex: 2 standard carry-on item FREE (12kg total; 8kg max individual)
Business: 2 standard carry-on items FREE (20kg total; 16kg max individual)
First: 2 standard carry-on items FREE (24kg total; 16kg max individual)
- Personal: 30 x 38 x 18 cm
- Standard: 56 x 45 x 25 cm (115cm total)
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- An infant for whom a seat was not purchased is not entitled to hand luggage
Stroller Check Policy
- EL AL advises bringing a stroller/carrier for use at the airport and will check the item free of charge at the gate. The item will be returned to you as you disembark at the destination gate.
El Al Checked Baggage Allowance
All checked bags must adhere to a max weight of 32kg & max linear dimensions of 158cm
Light Fare: 0 bags (for purchases only)
Economy (Classic & Flex): 1 bag (23 kg) included*
Premium: 2 bags (23 kg) included
Business: 2 bags (32 kg) included
First Class: 3 bags (32 kg) included
*Economy Flex fares to/from Far East & South Africa have a free baggage allowance of 2 x 23kg.
Lap Infant Checked Bag Policy
- An infant for whom a seat was not purchased is entitled to one baggage piece weighing up to 10 kilos and measuring up to 115 cm.
For baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment, musical instruments, etc.) please refer to EL AL’s policy here.
Additional / Excess Baggage Fees
Flights to/from Europe (including Light Fare)
- 1st additional bag: $70
- 2nd-5th additional bag: $70
Flights to/from Far East & Africa (including Light Fare)
- 1st additional bag: $140
- 2nd-5th additional bag: $150
All other routes
- 1st additional bag: $95 up to 3 hours before flight, $110 less than 3 hours before flight
- 2nd-5th additional bag: $185 up to 3 hours before flight, $200 less than 3 hours before flight
- Overweight 23-32kg: $95 up to 3 hours before flight, $110 less than 3 hours before flight
- Oversized 158-277 cm: $185 up to 3 hours before flight, $200 less than 3 hours before flight
Can I Pre-pay for Baggage?
El Al does allow passengers the ability to pre-pay for luggage online.
This can be done at the time of purchasing the ticket or before departure by logging in to your booking on the El Al website.
Credit Cards That Give You A Free Checked Bag With El Al
If you are checking bags on an EL Al flight, one of the cards below can reimburse you for some, if not all, of those fees.
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card - This no annual fee card comes with a 20,000 mile welcome bonus (worth $200) once you spend $1,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening. When you use your card for travel purchases (e.g. baggage fees), use your miles to pay off all, or part of, your statement! This is why we like this card.|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card - The "big brother" card to the VentureOne® with a larger 50,000 welcome bonus (worth $500) once you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.|
Exclusions & Waivers
Gold, Platinum & Top Platinum EL AL Matmid Frequent Flyer members are permitted 2 x standard carry-on items weighing up to a total of 12kg (8kg max individual).
For checked baggage allowance, Silver, Gold, Platinum & Top Platinum members are generally permitted 1 additional bag. This depends on certain routes and the cabin class. See here for more details.
Fly Card and Fly Card Premium credit card holders benefit from a 50% discount on an extra suitcase payment. See here for more details.