Garuda Indonesia has a very generous free checked luggage allowance across all cabin classes, right up to 50 kg for first class passengers.
For most destinations, they work on a weight system, so you can take as many bags as you like as long as they don’t exceed the maximum weight allowance combined.
However, U.S. routes work on a “piece system” for economy and business class (allowing 2 pieces of luggage) and the standard weight system for first class passengers. If you need to take even more luggage, you can save 15% by booking online or with their call center in advance.
Table of Contents
Garuda Indonesia Carry-on Allowance:
1 personal item: Undisclosed
1 standard carry-on bag: Free for economy, business class and first class passengers
Size and Weight Restrictions
- Personal: Undisclosed
- Standard: Business class and first class passengers – 56 cm x 36 cm x 23 cm not exceeding total measurements of 115 cm. Economy passengers – 41 cm x 34 cm x 17 cm not exceeding total measurements of 115 cm and weight of 7 kg.
Lap Infant Carry-on Policy
- When traveling with a lap infant, a collapsible stroller, carrying basket, or car seat can be taken into the cabin with a maximum weight of 10 kg.
Stroller Gate Check Policy
- A stroller can be checked into the hold at the gate in addition to your standard checked luggage allowance.
Garuda Indonesia Checked Baggage Allowance:
Garuda Indonesia has a weight allowance system for most destinations (apart from the U.S.), so you are not limited to how many pieces you can take as checked luggage — though each piece cannot exceed 32 kg (70 lb).
- First Class: 40 kg
- Business: 30 kg
- Economy: 20 kg
An infant without a seat can check 10 kgs of luggage when traveling in economy or business, and 20 kg of luggage when traveling in first class.
|Destination||Economy Class||Business Class||First Class|
|All destinations excluding Saudi Arabia, Japan and U.S.||30 kg||40 kg||50 kg|
|Saudi Arabia||Tickets issued in Saudia Arabia: 40 kg + 5 liters Zamzam water||40 kg + 5 liters Zamzam water||50 kg + 5 liters Zamzam water|
|Tickets issued elsewhere: 30 kg + 5 liters Zamzam water|
|Japan||46 kg||64 kg||64 kg|
|U.S.||Piece system – 2 x 23 kg (must not exceed total dimensions 158 cm)||Piece system – 2 x 32 kg (must not exceed total dimensions 158 cm)||50 kg|
Rewards Cards That Reimburse You For Checked Bag Expenses (or ANY Travel Expense)
|Credit Card||Fee Reimbursement Details|
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card|
|Chase Sapphire Reserve®|
Additional/Excess Baggage Fees
Charged at 1.5% of standard economy fare per one-way route, per kilogram.
International routes charged per one-way route, per kilogram
|Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand||$13 USD|
|Hong Kong, China, South Korea, Japan||$16 USD|
|Saudi Arabia||$17 USD|
|Australia, India||$28 USD|
|Netherlands, United Kingdom||$28 USD|
$150 USD per extra piece and for oversized and overweight luggage.
Can I Pre-pay for Baggage?
Garuda Indonesia does allow passengers the ability to pre-pay for luggage online, via the mobile app or by contacting their ticket office.
Here are the ways you can pre-pay:
- Select ‘My Trip’ on the Garuda Indonesia website and log in to your booking to add baggage.
- Download the Garuda Indonesia app and add pre-paid baggage at the time of booking your flight. It is not possible to add baggage after booking using the app.
- Contact their ticket office by calling (62-21) 23519999 or 0804 1 807 807.
Save up to 15% by purchasing additional baggage in advance and choose from weight allowances of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 or 40 kgs.
Exclusions & Waivers
Frequent flyer programs are permitted additional baggage allowances:
- Silver Card: Extra 5 kg
- Gold Card/EC Plus Card: Extra 15 kg
- Platinum Card/GIC Card: Extra 20 kg
- SkyTeam Elite: Extra 10 kg (weight system) or 1 extra piece (piece system)
- SkyTeam Elite Plus: Extra 20 kg (weight system) or 1 extra piece (piece system)
Additional baggage allowance for the following concessions:
- Student Fare: 40 kg economy
- Ship’s Crew Fare: 40 kg economy
Featured Image: Courtesy of Shutterstock; Logo courtesy of Garuda Indonesia