Garuda Indonesia has a very generous free checked luggage allowance across all cabin classes, right up to 50 kg for first class passengers.
For most destinations, they work on a weight system, so you can take as many bags as you like as long as they don’t exceed the maximum weight allowance combined.
However, U.S. routes work on a “piece system” for economy and business class (allowing 2 pieces of luggage) and the standard weight system for first class passengers. If you need to take even more luggage, you can save 15% by booking online or with their call center in advance.
Table of contents
Table of Contents
Garuda Indonesia Carry-on Allowance
1 personal item: Undisclosed
1 standard carry-on bag: Free for economy, business class, and first class passengers
Size and Weight Restrictions
- Personal: Undisclosed
- Standard: Business class and first class passengers – 56 cm x 36 cm x 23 cm not exceeding total measurements of 115 cm. Economy passengers – 41 cm x 34 cm x 17 cm not exceeding total measurements of 115 cm and weight of 7 kg.
Lap Infant Carry-on Policy
- When traveling with a lap infant, a collapsible stroller, carrying basket, or car seat can be taken into the cabin with a maximum weight of 10 kg.
Stroller Gate Check Policy
- A stroller can be checked into the hold at the gate in addition to your standard checked luggage allowance.
Garuda Indonesia Checked Baggage Allowance
Garuda Indonesia has a weight allowance system for most destinations (apart from the U.S.), so you are not limited to how many pieces you can take as checked luggage — though each piece cannot exceed 32 kg (70 lb).
- First Class: 40 kg
- Business: 30 kg
- Economy: 20 kg
An infant without a seat can check 10 kgs of luggage when traveling in economy or business, and 20 kg of luggage when traveling in first class.
|Destination||Economy Class||Business Class||First Class|
|All destinations excluding Saudi Arabia, Japan and U.S.||30 kg||40 kg||50 kg|
|Saudi Arabia||Tickets issued in Saudia Arabia: 40 kg + 5 liters Zamzam water||40 kg + 5 liters Zamzam water||50 kg + 5 liters Zamzam water|
|Tickets issued elsewhere: 30 kg + 5 liters Zamzam water|
|Japan||46 kg||64 kg||64 kg|
|U.S.||Piece system – 2 x 23 kg (must not exceed total dimensions 158 cm)||Piece system – 2 x 32 kg (must not exceed total dimensions 158 cm)||50 kg|
Additional/Excess Baggage Fees
Charged at 1.5% of standard economy fare per one-way route, per kilogram.
International routes charged per one-way route, per kilogram
|Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand||$13 USD|
|Hong Kong, China, South Korea, Japan||$16 USD|
|Saudi Arabia||$17 USD|
|Australia, India||$28 USD|
|Netherlands, United Kingdom||$28 USD|
$150 USD per extra piece and for oversized and overweight luggage.
Can I Pre-pay for Baggage?
Garuda Indonesia does allow passengers the ability to pre-pay for luggage online, via the mobile app or by contacting their ticket office.
Here are the ways you can pre-pay:
- Select ‘My Trip’ on the Garuda Indonesia website and log in to your booking to add baggage.
- Download the Garuda Indonesia app and add pre-paid baggage at the time of booking your flight. It is not possible to add baggage after booking using the app.
- Contact their ticket office by calling (62-21) 23519999 or 0804 1 807 807.
Save up to 15% by purchasing additional baggage in advance and choose from weight allowances of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 or 40 kgs.
Rewards Cards That Reimburse You For Checked Bag Expenses (or ANY Travel Expense)
|Credit Card||Fee Reimbursement Details|
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card|
Exclusions & Waivers
Frequent flyer programs are permitted additional baggage allowances:
- Silver Card: Extra 5 kg
- Gold Card/EC Plus Card: Extra 15 kg
- Platinum Card/GIC Card: Extra 20 kg
- SkyTeam Elite: Extra 10 kg (weight system) or 1 extra piece (piece system)
- SkyTeam Elite Plus: Extra 20 kg (weight system) or 1 extra piece (piece system)
Additional baggage allowance for the following concessions:
- Student Fare: 40 kg economy
- Ship’s Crew Fare: 40 kg economy
Featured Image: Courtesy of Shutterstock; Logo courtesy of Garuda Indonesia