Japan Airlines’ (JAL) baggage policies are pretty generous when it comes to your allowance, with 2 checked bags included for all Economy/Premium Economy passengers and 3 checked bags included for Business & First.
That’s why, when looking at additional baggage fees, extra pieces may seem slightly expensive. When you consider the initial inclusions, the fee is actually pretty average because each passenger is starting at their 3rd (or 4th) piece from the get-go.
Table of contents
Table of Contents
Japan Airlines Carry-On Allowance
1 personal item: FREE
1 standard carry-on bag: FREE
- Personal: undisclosed
- Standard: 22 x 16 x 10 inches (55 x 40 x 25 cm)
* total weight combined not to exceed 22 pounds (10 kg)
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
Stroller Check Policy
- In most cases, Japan Airlines allows you to bring your stroller with you until reaching the boarding gate, however, they suggest asking airport personnel upon check-in about the amount of space available on the aircraft. In order to prevent issues, the airline also suggests you check the stroller at the ticket counter and use the free baby stroller service provided.*
- Infants are permitted 1 piece of checked luggage with the same total dimensions and weight as the accompanying adult.
* Stroller lending service available at the following airports: Narita International, Kansai International, Chubu Centrair International, Frankfurt International (Germany), London Heathrow (UK)
Japan Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance
All checked bags must adhere to a max weight of 50 pounds (23 kg) for Economy & Premium Economy; 70 pounds (32 kg) for Business and First Class fares; must adhere to max linear dimensions of 80 inches (203 cm).
Economy & Premium Economy: 2 checked bags FREE (50 pounds/23 kg)
Business & First Class: 3 checked bags FREE (70 pounds/32 kg)
Additional / Excess Baggage Fees
|Route||Additional Bag per Piece||Overweight |
23kg – 32kg
32kg – 45kg
|Between Japan, Asia, India, Oceania & Hawaii, North/ Central/ South America, Europe, Middle East, Africa||JPY20,000|
|Between Japan and Asia, Guam,|
* On select routes, checked baggage exceeding 70 pounds (32 kg) for 1 piece cannot be accepted in principle. Please split up and pack baggage before attempting to check it.
** Consumption tax excluded
For baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment, pets, etc.) please refer to Japan Airlines’ policy here.
Can I Pre-pay for Baggage?
With a generous free baggage allowance, Japan Airlines does not allow passengers the ability to pre-pay for extra luggage.
This means passengers must pay any excess baggage fees during the check-in process at the airport.
Credit Cards That Reimburse You For Checked Bag Fees
Unlike many airlines, Japan Airlines allows all passengers at least two free checked bags. If you need a third checked bag, the price is quite steep. You can use one of the cards below and be reimbursed for some or all of those fees.
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card - This no annual fee card comes with a 20,000 bonus mile offer after spending $1,000 in the first 3 months. When you use your card for travel purchases (e.g. baggage fees), use your miles to pay off all, or part of, your statement balance! We've highlighted 30+ benefits of the card.|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card - The "big brother" card to the VentureOne with a 100,000 bonus miles offer when you spend $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or still earn 50,000 miles if you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. This card is full of benefits and perks and you can redeem your miles on travel or transfer your miles to over 10+ travel loyalty programs.|
Exclusions & Waivers
JMB Fly On & JGC Members:
- First Class: 4 bags free at 70 pounds (32 kg)
- Business: 4 bags free at 70 pounds (32 kg)
- Premium Economy: 3 bags free at 70 pounds (32 kg)
- Economy: 3 bags free at 70 pounds (32 kg)
JMB CRYSTAL members without JGC status:
- Premium Economy / Economy: 3 bags free at 50 pounds (23 kg)
We’ve also covered the best ways to fly to Japan using points and miles!