Japan Airlines’ (JAL) baggage policies are pretty generous when it comes to your allowance, with 2 checked bags included for all Economy/Premium Economy passengers and 3 checked bags included for Business & First.
That’s why, when looking at additional baggage fees, extra pieces may seem slightly expensive. When you consider the initial inclusions, the fee is actually pretty average because each passenger is starting at their 3rd (or 4th) piece from the get-go.
Table of Contents
Japan Airlines Carry-On Allowance:
1 personal item: FREE
1 standard carry-on bag: FREE
- Personal: undisclosed
- Standard: 22″ x 16″ x 10″
* total weight combined not to exceed 10kg (22lb)
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- Infant NOT traveling in his or her own seat:
- Maximum outside dimension (length + width + height) per bag of 203cm
- Same weight restriction as for accompanying adult
Stroller Check Policy
- In most cases, Japan Airlines allows you to bring your stroller with you until reching the boarding gate, however they suggest asking airport personnel upon check in about the amount of space available on the aircraft. In order to prevent issues, the airline also suggests you check the stroller at the ticket counter and use the free baby stroller service provided.*
* Stroller lending service available at the following airports: Narita International, Kansai International, Chubu Centrair International, Frankfurt International (Germany), London Heathrow (UK)
Japan Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance:
All checked bags must adhere to a max weight of 23kg (50lb) for Economy & Premium Economy; 32kg (70lb) for Business and First Class fares; must adhere to max linear dimensions of 203cm.
Economy & Premium Economy: 2 checked bags FREE (23kg)
Business & First Class: 3 checked bags FREE (32kg)
Additional / Excess Baggage Fees:
|Route||Additional Bag per Piece||Overweight |
23kg – 32kg
32kg – 45kg
|Between Japan, Asia, India, Oceania & Hawaii, North/ Central/ South America, Europe, Middle East, Africa||JPY20,000|
|Between Japan and Asia, Guam,|
* On select routes, checked baggage exceeding 33kg (70lbs) for 1 piece cannot be accepted in principle. Please split up and pack baggage before attempting to check it.
** Consumption tax excluded
For baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment, pets, etc.) please refer to Japan Airlines’ policy here.
Credit Cards That Reimburse You For Checked Bag Fees
Unlike many airlines, Japan Airlines allows all passengers at least two free checked bags. If you need a third checked bag, the price is quite steep. You can use one of the cards below and be reimbursed for some or all of those fees.
|Credit Card||Fee Reimbursement Details|
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card|
|Chase Sapphire Reserve®|
Exclusions & Waivers:
JMB Fly On & JGC Members:
- First Class: 4 bags free at 32kg
- Business: 4 bags free at 32kg
- Premium Economy: 3 bags free at 32kg
- Economy: 3 bags free at 32kg
JMB CRYSTAL members without JGC status:
- Premium Economy / Economy: 3 bags free at 23kg
We’ve also covered the best ways to fly to Japan using points and miles!