Edited by: Nick Ellis
We may be compensated when you click on product links, such as credit cards, from one or more of our advertising partners. Terms apply to the offers below. See our Advertising Policy for more about our partners, how we make money, and our rating methodology. Opinions and recommendations are ours alone.
Marriott has announced a sweeping expansion across Africa, which will see several new hotels opening under the Protea Hotels by Marriott brand in the coming years.
Let’s take a look at this news.
4 African Countries To Get Protea Hotels
Marriott is expanding its Protea brand in Nigeria, Tanzania, and Botswana and debuting it in Ethiopia for the first time.
Let’s take a look at each hotel:
- Protea Hotel by Marriott Serowe, Botswana, will have 155 guest rooms and suites, an all-day dining restaurant, a fitness center, a swimming pool, and multiple meeting rooms. The hotel is expected to open in 2026.
- Protea Hotel by Marriott Bahir Dar, Ethiopia, formerly the Blue Nile Resort, will undergo a complete renovation and become a Protea hotel by 2025. The hotel will offer 127 guest rooms and suites, multiple dining outlets, a fitness center, and meeting and event space.
- Protea Hotel by Marriott Zanzibar Stone Town, Tanzania, will have 26 guestrooms, an all-day dining restaurant, and a rooftop bar. It is expected to open by the end of 2023.
- Protea Hotel by Marriott Abuja Jahi, Nigeria, will have 144 guestrooms, 2 food and beverage options, a swimming pool, and meeting facilities. The hotel is expected to open in 2027.
- Protea Hotel by Marriott Delta, Nigeria, will open in 2024 with 108 rooms, 4 food and beverage outlets, meeting facilities, a fitness center, and a swimming pool.
“Protea Hotels by Marriott has a long-established legacy in Africa, and we are excited to further strengthen the brand’s footprint in the continent with these five signings,” said Karim Cheltout, Regional Vice President of Development, Africa & All-Inclusive, EMEA at Marriott.
The Protea brand, which falls under Marriott’s “Select” umbrella, is a well-known and established brand across Africa, representing more than 40% of Marriott International’s portfolio on the continent. Protea has over 60 hotels across 6 countries, including Algeria, South Africa, and Zambia.
Booking Marriott Hotels in Africa
Marriott has nearly 140 properties in Africa, spanning 20 countries and 19 brands. These include some of the world’s top hotels, including the JW Marriott Mauritius, JW Marriott Masai Mara Lodge, and North Island, a Luxury Collection Resort, Seychelles — a resort located on a private island that costs upwards of $6,000 per night.
Marriott has several co-branded credit cards, all of which offer solid welcome bonuses, that you can use to earn Marriott Bonvoy points. You can then redeem Marriott points at hotels across the continent.Hot Tip:
Learn all there is to know about the Marriott Bonvoy program in our full review!
The Protea brand is known for being relatively affordable, whether you pay with cash or Marriott Bonvoy points, so this is exciting news for Marriott Bonvoy fans, who will have more options to earn and redeem points in Africa. In the meantime, make sure to check out Marriott’s extensive portfolio across the continent!
Featured Image Credit: Humphrey Muleba via Unsplash
Was this page helpful?
INSIDERS ONLY: UP PULSE™
Get the latest travel tips, crucial news, flight & hotel deal alerts... Plus — expert strategies to maximize your points & miles by joining our (free) newsletter.
Disclaimer: Any comments listed below are not from the bank advertiser, nor have they been reviewed or approved by them. No responsibility will be taken by the bank advertiser for these comments.
UP's Bonus Valuation
This bonus value is an estimated valuation calculated by UP after analyzing redemption options, transfer partners, award availability and how much UP would pay to buy these points.