If you’re a Marriott Bonvoy loyalist, perhaps you’ve become savvy at earning lots of Marriott Bonvoy points, but even seasoned members might welcome an earnings refresher!
One thing’s for certain: when it comes to hotel loyalty points, more is better. With that philosophy in mind, we’re going to take a look at dozens of ways we all can earn more Marriott Bonvoy points.
Marriott Bonvoy points are valuable since they can be redeemed for free hotel/resort stays, room upgrades, discounts off of room rates, vacation packages, car rentals, gift cards, donations to charity, transfers to airline partners, Hotel + Air Packages, and more!
In this article, we’ll look at a multitude of ways you can earn all the Marriott Bonvoy points you desire. Let’s get started.
Table of contents
- Transfer Ultimate Rewards to Marriott Bonvoy
- Sign-Up Bonuses and Spending on Marriott Bonvoy-Branded Credit Cards
- Refer-a-Friend Bonus Rewards (Chase)
- Refer-a-Friend Bonus Rewards (American Express)
- Base Points and Bonus Points for Stays at Marriott Hotels & Resorts
- Earn Rewards at Long-Term Stay Properties
- Reward a Friend — Earn Marriott Bonvoy Points
- Earn Rewards for Purchasing Gift Cards
- Transfer Amex Membership Rewards to Marriott Bonvoy
- Selecting Green Choice & Welcome Gift Points
- Earn Big When Booking Marriott Experiences
- Get Rewarded for Your Events
- Sign Up for Bonus Rewards at Promotion Central
- Earn Rewards While Roaming
- Book Marriott Vacation Packages
- Earn Marriott Bonvoy Points for Car Rentals Through Hertz
- Book Your Cruise Through CruisesOnly.com
- Your “Identity“ Can Earn Marriott Bonvoy
- Check Out Marriott Vacation Club Ownership
- Purchasing Marriott Bonvoy Points
- Link Your Marriott Bonvoy & Uber Rewards Accounts
- Everything Else You Need To Know
- Final Thoughts
Table of Contents
- 1. Transfer Ultimate Rewards to Marriott Bonvoy
- 2. Sign-Up Bonuses and Spending on Marriott Bonvoy-Branded Credit Cards
- 3. Refer-a-Friend Bonus Rewards (Chase)
- 4. Refer-a-Friend Bonus Rewards (American Express)
- 5. Base Points and Bonus Points for Stays at Marriott Hotels & Resorts
- 6. Earn Rewards at Long-Term Stay Properties
- 7. Reward a Friend — Earn Marriott Bonvoy Points
- 8. Earn Rewards for Purchasing Gift Cards
- 9. Transfer Amex Membership Rewards to Marriott Bonvoy
- 10. Selecting Green Choice & Welcome Gift Points
- 11. Earn Big When Booking Marriott Experiences
- 12. Get Rewarded for Your Events
- 13. Sign Up for Bonus Rewards at Promotion Central
- 14. Earn Rewards While Roaming
- 15. Book Marriott Vacation Packages
- 16. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Points for Car Rentals Through Hertz
- 17. Book Your Cruise Through CruisesOnly.com
- 18. Your “Identity“ Can Earn Marriott Bonvoy
- 19. Check Out Marriott Vacation Club Ownership
- 20. Purchasing Marriott Bonvoy Points
- 21. Link Your Marriott Bonvoy & Uber Rewards Accounts
- Everything Else You Need To Know
- Final Thoughts
1. Transfer Ultimate Rewards to Marriott Bonvoy
One way to earn Marriott Bonvoy points is by transferring your Chase Ultimate Rewards Points earned from several Chase credit cards. The transfer is simple, has a 1:1 transfer ratio, and takes about 2 days.
The transfer is not an awesome value for your Ultimate Rewards Points — but you might find value in transferring points to use for an upgraded room, or if you find a PointSavers rate (which can start at 4,000 Marriott Bonvoy points for a level 1 off-peak night).
The following Chase credit cards allow you to transfer Ultimate Rewards Points directly:
The below Ultimate Rewards-earning credit cards do not allow direct transfers to Marriott Bonvoy. You can, however, transfer your Ultimate Rewards Points earned on these credit cards first to one of the premium Chase cards listed above and then to Marriott Bonvoy.
2. Sign-Up Bonuses and Spending on Marriott Bonvoy-Branded Credit Cards
Chase and American Express both issue Marriott Bonvoy-earning personal and business credit cards. You’ll start earning Marriott Bonvoy points immediately on every purchase, and qualify for a sign-up bonus once minimum spending requirements are met.
Sign-up bonuses are the fastest way to earn Marriott Bonvoy points, but there are plenty of ongoing earning options that make it smart to have at least 1 Marriott branded card in your wallet if you’re a Marriott loyalist.
|Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card - Earn 100,000 Bonus Points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. Get automatic silver elite status each account anniversary year; and a free night award (valued up to 35,000 points) every year after account anniversary. Plus, earn up to 17X points per $1 at over 7,000 participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels, and 2X points per $1 on all other purchases. Annual Fee is $95.|
|Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card - Earn 50,000 bonus points when you spend $1,000 on purchases in the first 3 months of account opening. Earn up to 14X points per $1 at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels, earn 2X on other travel purchases, then 1x on all other purchases. A solid card for Marriott loyalists looking for a no-annual-fee card offering Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite status.|
|Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card - Earn 125,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Plus, earn up to $200 in Statement Credits for eligible purchases at U.S. Restaurants within the first 6 months of Card Membership. Offer Expires 5/12/2021.|
Earn 6x per $1 at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels plus 3x at U.S. restaurants and flights booked directly with airlines. Annual Fee is $450. Terms Apply. For rates and fees of the Bonvoy Brilliant card, click here.
|Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card - For a limited time, earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 of eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Plus, earn up to $150 back in statement credits on eligible purchases made on your new Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 5/12/21. |
This is a solid card for business owners who will get complimentary Marriott Bonvoy silver elite status. Annual fee is $125. Terms Apply. For rates and fees of the Marriott Bonvoy Business Card, click here.
3. Refer-a-Friend Bonus Rewards (Chase)
You can refer friends for Chase credit cards and earn up to 50,000 points per year. To see if your card is eligible, visit the Refer-a-Friend website and enter your last name, zip code, and the last 4 digits of your credit card number.
4. Refer-a-Friend Bonus Rewards (American Express)
If you currently have a Marriott-branded credit card from American Express, you can also refer a friend to them and earn rewards points.
Just log in to your online American Express credit card account and select the method you want to use to invite your referral.
You can have American Express send an email, post on your Facebook page, use Twitter, or copy your referral link and send an email of your own.
5. Base Points and Bonus Points for Stays at Marriott Hotels & Resorts
Did you know you can earn points without using a Marriott branded credit card to earn Marriott Bonvoy points when staying at any Marriott family property?
Marriott Bonvoy members earn 10 Marriott Bonvoy points for every $1 spent on qualifying purchases made at any of the core 25 Marriott properties listed above, regardless of which credit card you use (5 points per $1 at Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, Element properties, and Homes & Villas by Marriott).
In addition to the base points earned when staying at Marriott collection properties, elite members receive bonus points.
For example, a Platinum Elite member would receive a 50% bonus, for a total 15 Marriott Bonvoy points per $1 spent at any of the 25 core Marriott collection properties!
|Elite Level||Bonus Marriott Bonvoy Points Earned|
Hot Tip: You can triple dip on Marriott Bonvoy points when staying at Marriott affiliated properties. You’ll receive points for using your branded credit card, base points in the Marriott Bonvoy program for your stay, and an additional percentage bonus if you have elite status.
6. Earn Rewards at Long-Term Stay Properties
You can also stay at extended-stay properties such as Marriott Executive Apartments and ExecuStay properties to earn 2.5 Marriott Bonvoy points per $1 spent.
7. Reward a Friend — Earn Marriott Bonvoy Points
When you tell your friends about the Marriott Bonvoy program and they stay at a Marriott property, you’ll earn Marriott Bonvoy points. Be sure to have your friend sign up for the Marriott Bonvoy program before staying.
Here’s how the Reward a Friend program works:
- Send invitations to your friends.
- They receive 2,000 points per stay, up to 10,000 Marriott Bonvoy points
- You receive 2,000 points for each time they stay, up to 10,000 Marriott Bonvoy points for a maximum of 5 referrals per year. That’s 50,000 extra Marriott Bonvoy points!
8. Earn Rewards for Purchasing Gift Cards
Purchase Marriott gift cards with your Marriott credit card at participating Marriott properties and receive 6 points per dollar spent. Marriott gift cards make great gifts for weddings, milestone birthdays, anniversaries, or graduates who will be traveling.
9. Transfer Amex Membership Rewards to Marriott Bonvoy
Use any of our recommended Amex Membership Rewards credit cards and transfer points to Marriott Bonvoy. As with Chase transfers, this is not a high-value transfer option compared to other Amex partners.
Each Membership Rewards point converts to 1 Marriott point, and transfer are almost instant.
Recommended Amex Cards (Personal)
|The Platinum Card® from American Express - There's currently a new welcome bonus offer of |
This is our #1 card for accessing 1,300+ airport lounges worldwide, including Priority Pass (enrollment required). We leverage ~$3,000+ in benefits and perks from the card every year. Terms Apply. For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum card, click here.
|American Express® Gold Card - This card has a new welcome bonus of |
We love using this card as it earns 4x points at Restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery, plus, earn 4X points for Uber Eats purchases too, and 4x points at U.S. supermarkets (up to $25,000 per calendar year; then 1x. Terms Apply).
There's no better card in our opinion if you eat out and/or shop at supermarkets regularly; and you'll have access to many benefits and perks. For rates and fees of the Amex Gold card, click here.
Recommended Amex Cards (Business)
|The Business Platinum Card® from American Express - Right now, there's a new welcome bonus of |
See how we get $4,000+ in value per year by leveraging many of the benefits & perks, including access to 1,300+ airport lounges worldwide. For rates & fees of the Business Platinum, click here.
|American Express® Business Gold Card - one of our favorite Amex business cards because we earn 4x points across the top 2 select categories that we spend the most money in each month, such as Facebook or Google ads. The 4x points applies to the first $150,000 in combined purchases from these 2 categories each calendar year. After that, you earn 1x. Terms Apply. |
The current welcome bonus is 70,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $10,000 on eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership. For rates and fees of the Business Gold, click here.
|The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express - A super simple, no annual fee card that earns you 2x points on everyday business purchase, up to $50,000 annually. After that, then 1x. That makes for an easy 100,000 points per year. For rates and fees of the Blue Business Plus, click here.|
10. Selecting Green Choice & Welcome Gift Points
When you check in to a Marriott collection property, you’ll be offered the option to receive bonus points in exchange for forgoing daily housekeeping. You can earn 500 points per day at most properties and up to 5,000 points per stay. You can opt-out of housekeeping for up to 3 consecutive days in a row.
(Some hotels like Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, and SpringHill Suites only offer 250 bonus points/night.)
Gold Elite members or higher also have the option to select 500-1,000 Marriott Bonvoy points (depending on the property) in lieu of breakfast or a welcome amenity.
11. Earn Big When Booking Marriott Experiences
Marriott Experiences is a special program offering hundreds of special activities and experiences chosen specifically for Marriott Bonvoy members. Select from gourmet cooking lessons, a riverboat jazz brunch in New Orleans, or perhaps a New York City speakeasy walking tour.
Marriott Moments offers experiences at destinations all over the world — best of all, you’ll be earning 10 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points for each $1 spent on Marriott Experiences!
12. Get Rewarded for Your Events
With Marriott’s Rewarding Events program you’ll earn Marriott Bonvoy points for booking your meeting, wedding, or other special events at a Marriott property.
You can earn 2 points per dollar spent on eligible room, food, beverages, and audio/visual charges for a total of up to 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points for each event. Titanium Elite members can earn a maximum of 105,000 points per event.
You can also earn Elite qualifying nights for your event booking.
13. Sign Up for Bonus Rewards at Promotion Central
When Marriott runs a promotion, you can earn extra Marriott Bonvoy points for your stays. If you’re a member of Marriott Bonvoy, you should receive an email asking you to register whenever there is a new promotion.
You can always check out Marriott’s Promotion Central to sign in and see if there is a new promotion you may have missed.
14. Earn Rewards While Roaming
Marriott partners with TravellingConnect for cellular roaming services in over 25 countries worldwide. Signing up is free, and Marriott Bonvoy members earn 2 points/dollar spent on services.
15. Book Marriott Vacation Packages
Vacations by Marriott runs ongoing specials that offer bonus Marriott Bonvoy points for booking vacation packages in addition to the points earned on the purchase price.
As an example, one recent promotion offered 10,000 Marriott Bonvoy points for booking a 4-night stay or longer at a Westin property. You can check out the Vacations by Marriott site to see their current bonus point specials.
16. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Points for Car Rentals Through Hertz
Marriott partners with Hertz to offer Marriott Bonvoy members up to 35% off base car rental rates and unlimited miles.
Members enjoy the benefits of reserving now, paying later, and even canceling their reservation for free. Use code 154080 during booking for discount and benefits.
Best of all, Marriott Bonvoy members can earn up to 3,000 Marriott Bonvoy points for Hertz car rentals of 2 days or more.
17. Book Your Cruise Through CruisesOnly.com
With over 500 trained cruise experts on staff and a 110% money-back price guarantee, popular discount cruise agency CruisesOnly is a Marriott partner as well.
Receive special pricing, bonus amenities, and 2 additional Marriott Bonvoy points for every $1 you spend at CruisesOnly.com. Earn even more (up to 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points!) when you book a balcony or suite stateroom.
Hot Tip: If you’ve got plenty of Marriott Bonvoy points, you may consider booking your cruise with points instead of cash (however you won’t earn points when you do this).
18. Your “Identity“ Can Earn Marriott Bonvoy
If you’re a member of the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas Identity rewards program, you may transfer loyalty points to Marriott Bonvoy. You must contact the Cosmopolitan Identity Program to do so.
19. Check Out Marriott Vacation Club Ownership
With over 4,000 Marriott properties and 3,000 affiliated resorts, many vacationers enjoy the convenience of owning a Marriott Vacation Club timeshare.
Signing up to visit one of their properties and listening to their presentation can net you a stash of Marriott Bonvoy points.
20. Purchasing Marriott Bonvoy Points
If you’re just short of enough points for a particular redemption option, you may want to purchase a small number of Marriott Bonvoy points to top off your account.
Another reason you might purchase points is to keep your points from expiring, since Marriott Bonvoy points expire after 24 months of inactivity on your account.
Members may purchase a maximum of 50,000 points per calendar year in increments of 1,000 at a rate of $12.50 per 1,000 points.
21. Link Your Marriott Bonvoy & Uber Rewards Accounts
As a bonus to whatever earnings you’d get through your credit card and any Uber Rewards you’d earn, you can also triple-dip and earn Marriott Bonvoy points when you link your Marriott Bonvoy account to your Uber account.
Members will earn:
- 6 Marriott Bonvoy points per $1 spent on Uber Eats deliveries to U.S. Marriott properties with a minimum subtotal of $25 (or 2 points per $1 for non-hotel deliveries)
- 3 Marriott Bonvoy points per $1 spent on Uber XL, Comfort, Black, and Black SUV rides in the U.S.
Everything Else You Need To Know
The Marriott Bonvoy program allows you to select whether you want to earn miles or rewards points for all these activities. To make your selection, log in to your Marriott account and update your online profile.
If you do not make a selection, the program will default to earning Marriott Bonvoy points.
Once you’ve earned plenty of Marriott Bonvoy points, you’ll probably know the best way to redeem your points. Check out our guide on the best ways to redeem Marriott Bonvoy points for the most value.
While the Marriott Bonvoy program has seen major changes lately, there are so many ways to earn Marriott Bonvoy points and a variety of redemption options available that the program still offers significant value.