Marriott is one of the largest hotel groups in the world, with a portfolio of over 7,300 properties that participate in the Marriott Bonvoy rewards program. In this post, we will take a deep dive into Marriott Bonvoy’s elite status levels and the benefits that status can deliver, as well as the requirements for achieving elite status.
We know that Marriott Bonvoy status delivers elevated experiences such as upgraded hotel rooms, free breakfast, lounge access, and other perks that make your stay more comfortable. But is the effort required to achieve elite status worth it?
Here’s a look at the requirements, some shortcuts that can expedite the path to elite status, and if achieving it makes sense for you.
The Benefits of Elite Status With Marriott Bonvoy
The Marriott Bonvoy rewards program has several elite levels offering increasingly valuable benefits.
Here are the perks you can expect to receive when you sign up for Marriott Bonvoy and work your way up through the status levels.
Member Level Benefits
Sign up for the Marriott Bonvoy rewards program and receive these core benefits:
- Free Wi-Fi
- Member-only room rates
- Receive the fifth consecutive award night free
- No blackout dates
- Mobile and keyless check-in
- Ability to use a combination of cash and points
- Ability to use points for meals, spa, experiences, and more
- Access to PointSavers award rates
Silver Elite Benefits
Silver Elite members receive all Member benefits plus these additional perks:
- 10% bonus points
- Priority late checkout
- Dedicated reservation phone line
- Reservation guarantee
Gold Elite Benefits
Gold Elite members receive all Member and Silver Elite level benefits plus all of the following:
- 25% bonus points
- Enhanced room upgrade
- 2 p.m. late checkout
- Up to 500 welcome points per stay
- Complimentary premium Wi-Fi
Platinum Elite Benefits
Platinum Elite members enjoy all of the benefits previously mentioned plus these additional benefits:
- 50% bonus points
- Enhanced room upgrade over Gold Elite
- Welcome gift choice of points, breakfast, or local amenity
- Annual gift choice after staying 50 nights in a calendar year
- Lounge access
Titanium Elite Benefits
Titanium Elite members qualify for all Member, Silver Elite, Gold Elite, and Platinum Elite benefits plus much more:
Ambassador Elite Benefits
Ambassador Elite members are treated well. In addition to all other benefits listed previously, Ambassadors receive these personalized services:
- Personal Ambassador service
- Flexible 24-hour check-in
- Guaranteed room availability 48 hours prior to arrival
Bottom Line: Marriott Bonvoy elite status offers valuable benefits such as upgraded rooms, free Wi-Fi, lounge access, complimentary breakfast, late checkout, and bonus earnings. With base member benefits just for signing up and several levels of elite status to strive for, there’s a sweet elite spot for every Marriott Bonvoy loyalist.
How To Qualify for Elite Status – The Traditional Way
Annual Elite Status Requirements
While there are multiple levels of elite status, the annual hotel night requirements to attain elite status with Marriott Bonvoy are simple.
Following are the number of elite qualifying nights needed to achieve each level of Marriott Bonvoy elite status.
- Member — no requirements
- Silver Elite — 10 nights
- Gold Elite — 25 nights
- Platinum Elite — 50 nights
- Titanium Elite — 75 nights
- Ambassador Elite — 100 nights plus $20,000 annual qualifying spend
You can earn elite qualifying nights by staying at Marriott properties, hosting events, or through Marriott Bonvoy-branded credit cards.
Rewarding Events — Earn 1 elite qualifying night for every 20 rooms booked. You’ll also earn up to 20,000 points for each event.
Lifetime Elite Status Requirements
Marriott Bonvoy also has a lifetime elite status level that rewards those loyalists who have made Marriott their brand of choice (or Starwood previously) for a good share of their lifetime.
Lifetime Status Qualifications
- Lifetime Silver Elite — 250 lifetime nights plus 5 years with elite status
- Lifetime Gold Elite — 400 lifetime nights plus 7 years with elite status
- Lifetime Platinum Elite — 600 lifetime nights plus 10 years with elite status
Bottom Line: There are several ways to earn elite qualifying nights that count towards Marriott Bonvoy elite status. You can stay at Marriott properties, host meetings, weddings, and other events, and earn elite qualifying nights through Marriott Bonvoy credit cards.
A Faster Path to Marriott Bonvoy Elite Status
Complimentary Elite Status With Credit Cards
Having a credit card instantly grants you elite status with Marriott Bonvoy and the status remains valid for as long as you hold the card.
You may also have the opportunity to reach a higher level of elite status by spending on the Marriott Bonvoy card.
Each Marriott Bonvoy-branded credit card awards 15 elite qualifying nights each year that can be used to expedite your path to higher elite status. There is a maximum of 30 nights that can be credited regardless of how many Marriott Bonvoy cards you have. You can receive 15 elite qualifying nights maximum on personal credit cards plus 15 elite qualifying nights via the Marriott Bonvoy Business card.
If you’re a Marriott Bonvoy loyalist, you’ll definitely want one of these credit cards in your wallet.
Hot Tip: Another non-traditional way to achieve elite status is through a status match or challenge.
Elite Qualifying Nights Summary
There are so many options for earning Marriott Bonvoy elite qualifying nights, you’ll need a summary to guide you.
Here’s a list of the ways you can earn elite qualifying nights.
- Paid and Award Stays at Marriott Properties — Whether you pay for your hotel nights or use Marriott Bonvoy points, each night stayed will count as an elite qualifying night.
- Up to 30 Elite Qualifying Nights With Marriott Bonvoy Credit Cards — The 15 elite nights you receive by having a personal Marriott Bonvoy-branded card and 15 elite nights via the Marriott Bonvoy Business card will count towards elite status.
- Fifth Award Night Free — Elite members qualify to receive the fifth night free when 4 consecutive award nights are booked. All 5 nights count towards elite status.
- Host an Event — Earn 1 elite night for every 20 rooms booked.
- Choice Benefits — Once you’ve acquired 50 elite qualifying nights in a calendar year, you can select a benefit from a list of choices that includes 5 elite qualifying nights. You can select another 5 elite qualifying nights once you have stayed 75 nights in a calendar year. These nights count toward elite status in the year you earned the 50/75 nights.
Hot Tip: Having a Marriott Bonvoy-branded personal credit card plus the Marriott Bonvoy Business card will give you 30 elite qualifying nights — more than enough to qualify for Gold Elite status.
How Marriott Bonvoy-Branded Credit Cards Enhance Elite Status
Certain Marriott Bonvoy credit cards offer a free hotel night certificate for each card anniversary year. Each certificate is good for a free night that is capped at a stated point value.
Free Hotel Nights
- Marriott Bonvoy Boundless card — free night certificate good for up 35,000 points in value
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant card — free night certificate good for up to 50,000 points in value
- Marriott Bonvoy Business card — free night certificate good for up to 35,000 points in value and earn an additional free night after $60,000 spent on the card in a calendar year
In addition to earning Marriott Bonvoy points for staying at Marriott properties, you’ll earn even more points when you pay for your stay with your Marriott Bonvoy-branded credit card.
You’ll also earn valuable Marriott Bonvoy points by spending in bonus-earning categories and on every purchase you make.
|Credit Card||Benefits & Info|
|Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card|
(at Chase's secure site)
- Earn 3 Free Nights (each night valued up to 50,000 points) after qualifying purchases.
- New Benefit! Earn 3X Bonvoy points per $1 on the first $6,000 spent in combined purchases each year on grocery stores, gas stations, and dining.
- New Benefit! Earn 1 Elite Night Credit towards Elite Status for every $5,000 you spend.
- 1 Free Night Award (valued up to 35,000 points) every year after account anniversary.
- Earn up to 17X total Bonvoy points per $1 spent at over 7,000 hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy® with the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Card.
- 2X Bonvoy points for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Receive 15 Elite Night Credits annually, automatic Silver Elite Status each account anniversary year, and path to Gold Status when you spend $35,000 on purchases each calendar year.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- Good to Excellent (670-850)
- Annual Fee: $95
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
(at Amex's secure site)
- Earn 100,000 Marriott Bonvoy bonus points and 1 Free Night Award after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program.
- Earn 6 Marriott Bonvoy points for each dollar of eligible purchases at hotels participating in the Marriott Bonvoy™ program. 3 points at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines. 2 points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy unlimited airport lounge visits when you enroll in Priority Pass™ Select membership.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Good to Excellent (670-850)
- Annual Fee: $450
- Terms Apply. For rates and fees of the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant card, click here.
You’ll find several useful travel and purchase protections on Marriott Bonvoy credit cards. Benefits such as secondary car rental loss and damage insurance, travel accident insurance, roadside assistance, purchase protection, and extended warranty coverage can save you money during your travels.
Check your card’s specific guide to benefits for actual benefit descriptions, limits, and conditions.
Bottom Line: Marriott Bonvoy credit cards support Marriott Bonvoy elite status with more free hotel nights and accelerated earnings that help your points balance grow quickly. They also offer additional benefits that can be useful during your travels.
Where Your Points Can Take You
When it comes time to redeem your Marriott Bonvoy points or use your free night certificates, you’ll have some very desirable options.
Here’s a sample of where your 35,000 and 50,000 free night certificates or your Marriott Bonvoy rewards points can take you.
Book the Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa with your free night certificate (worth 50,000 points) or redeem just 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points per night. You can also take advantage of the fifth night free benefit and book 5 nights for 200,000 points.
Enjoy a complimentary luxury hotel night in Vietnam by using your free night certificate (worth 35,000 points) or by redeeming your Marriott Bonvoy points. A single night can be booked for just 35,000 points or book 5 nights for a total of 140,000 points using the fifth-night free benefit.
Hot Tip: For more ideas on redeeming your Marriott Bonvoy points, our writers have put together their recommendations of the best ways to redeem your Marriott Bonvoy points for hotels or flights.. We even have a guide on the best Marriott luxury hotels to book with points for maximum value!
Everything Else You Need To Know
For the latest pricing and welcome offers, visit our reviews on these Marriott Bonvoy-branded cards:
Hotel elite status offers valuable benefits that make your trip more comfortable and potentially save you money.
If you value Marriott Bonvoy benefits and stay frequently at Marriott properties, having elite status makes sense.
If you stay just a few nights a year but want those stays to include free Wi-Fi, the ability to take advantage of the fifth award night free, and the other perks of Silver Elite or Gold Elite status, a Marriott Bonvoy credit card could be a viable option.
For rates and fees of the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card, click here.
For rates and fees of the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card, click here.