Edited by: Keri Stooksbury
We may be compensated when you click on product links, such as credit cards, from one or more of our advertising partners. Terms apply to the offers below. See our Advertising Policy for more about our partners, how we make money, and our rating methodology. Opinions and recommendations are ours alone.
Update:The offer mentioned below has expired and is no longer available.
Usually, transferring hotel points into an airline’s mileage program is a bad deal. The points don’t transfer to any worthwhile amount, and you usually lose a lot of value along the way.
Several hotel loyalty programs are running a promotion where you can receive up to a 100% bonus on transferred points when converting to United miles, which could be a good deal in certain cases.
Under this promotion, most hotel loyalty programs are offering a 30% bonus on transferred points, but Choice Privileges is offering a 100% bonus. Here’s how the math breaks down for some of the available programs:
- Transfer 10,000 ALL – Accor Live Limitless Reward points, get 6,500 miles
- Transfer 10,000 Choice Privileges points, get 4,000 miles
- Transfer 10,000 Hilton Honors points, get 1,300 miles
- Transfer 10,000 Marriott Bonvoy points, get 4,333 miles
- Transfer 10,000 World of Hyatt points, get 5,200 miles
While the promotion does provide a bonus, in many cases, you’ll still get far better value keeping the points within the respective hotel chain and spending them on a free room night.
Transferring Marriott Bonvoy points to United can be particularly beneficial, thanks to a long-standing bonus already in place when you transfer a minimum of 60,000 points. For every 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points you transfer to United, you’ll get an additional 10,000-mile bonus. This means you’ll earn 20,000 United miles from the initial transfer, 10,000 miles for transferring 60,000 points or more, and an additional 9,000 miles from the 30% promotion. This comes out to 39,000 United MileagePlus miles, which is particularly rewarding for only transferring over 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points.
If you’re transferring points from a participating hotel loyalty program to United MileagePlus, you’ll need to register prior to making any transfers.
You’ll want to do the math to see what makes sense for you, as everyone’s situation is different. That said, you should keep this in mind:
- Even with the bonus, the transfers may be at a bad rate, so only transfer the points if you’re needing a few more miles for a particular redemption. Try not to transfer large chunks.
- If you can focus your transfers to only coming from Marriott Bonvoy, you may come out ahead with a decent deal.
- Hotel bonuses like this are offered every so often, so this won’t be the only sale like this.
- This promotion ends October 31, 2023, and bonus miles will be credited within 6 to 8 weeks on or before January 31, 2024.
Keep in mind that transferring hotel points to airline miles can take several days in certain instances, so you’ll want to keep this in mind if you have a specific redemption in mind.
While transferring hotel points to airline miles isn’t always the best deal, if you’ve got Marriott Bonvoy points, it can be worth seeing if this offer makes sense for you. Otherwise, only transfer hotel points to United if you need a few more miles for a particular flight award.
Featured Image Credit: Chris Hassan
Was this page helpful?
UP's Bonus Valuation
This bonus value is an estimated valuation calculated by UP after analyzing redemption options, transfer partners, award availability and how much UP would pay to buy these points.