When you think of the best first class products in the world, Emirates is probably high on your list (if not at the top)! Without a doubt, Emirates offers one of the most luxurious seats in the sky, and flying first class on this airline is an experience you won’t want to miss.
From the amazing Emirates first class suite to the Champagne or the shower spa (yes — you read that right), you’ll be treated like royalty.
To top it all off, you’ll have access to an actual inflight bar where you can enjoy a drink or snack and chat with your fellow passengers.
Before we discuss how to book an Emirates first class flight, let’s take a look at exactly what you’ll be booking.
A Look Inside the Emirates First Class Suite
There’s nothing quite like enjoying the glamorous first class experience on Emirates.
Let’s start with your first class suite, complete with a minibar, bed, and a privacy door that closes with just the push of a button. You read correctly — individual motorized doors on an airplane —- and that’s only the beginning of the Emirates first class experience!
Emirates raises the stakes with its fine dining experience to keep you well-fed. From Champagne to spirits to fine wine, your flight attendant will ensure you always have a nice drink to go with your meal.
You might be wondering what kind of Champagne. Well, this is first class on Emirates, and it really spares no expense — you’ll be able to enjoy a glass of world-renowned Dom Perignon.
Is this the best first class experience? Perhaps, although that will depend on your personal tastes. It’s certainly up there!
Hot Tip: Want an in-depth review of this Emirates’ first class? Read our review of Emirates’ first class aboard the A380.
Emirates’ New Game Changer First Class Suites
As we know, Emirates often sets the standard for a top-notch first class product. Emirates’ new first class suites on select 777-300ER aircraft have just set the bar even higher. Believe it or not, the Emirates A380 first class is no longer its best product.
These new first class suites, dubbed the Game Changer First Class Suites, are unbelievably lavish. On the aircraft, there are 2 rows of seats in a 1-1-1 configuration. The density of seats on this aircraft is therefore similar to Cathay Pacific first class. However, the differences are eye-opening.
The suites on this aircraft are around 30 inches wide, 78 inches in pitch, and 84 inches long in bed length. The suites have floor-to-ceiling doors, which means complete privacy. No one will be able to see you when you close your suite doors. You can enjoy the 32-inch HD LCD inflight monitor in total peace. For context, each suite is 40 square feet, while Etihad First Class Apartments measure 39 square feet.
The seat itself can recline into a zero-gravity position inspired by NASA, and center seat passengers will be able to try out “virtual windows.” When you couple that with the binoculars provided to all first class passengers, those in a center seat have basically the same view as any window passenger.
You can also video/audio chat with the crew members and use the service window that allows you to be served drinks and snacks without being disturbed. This cutting-edge product cannot be ignored, though for now, the routes are pretty limited.
To find out which Emirates aircraft have these suites and where they fly to, you’ll need to track these tail numbers of the 777-300ERs that are equipped with the Game Changer First Class Suites:
Here are some of the frequent routes to help you get started:
- Dubai (DXB) – Brussels (BRU) on EK 181/182 and EK 183/184
- Dubai (DXB) – Frankfurt (FRA) on EK 45/46
- Dubai (DXB) – Geneva (GVA) on EK 83/84 and EK 89/90
- Dubai (DXB) – Hamburg (HAM) on EK 59/60
- Dubai (DXB) – London (LHR) on EK 5/6
- Dubai (DXB) – Riyadh (RUH) on EK 2819/2820
- Dubai (DXB) – Singapore (SIN) on EK 352/353
- Dubai (DXB) – Tokyo (NRT) on EK 318/319
Emirates has also operated rare flights on the following routes:
- Dubai (DXB) – Amsterdam (AMS) on EK 147/148
- Dubai (DXB) – Bangkok (BKK) on EK 384/385
- Dubai (DXB) – Bengaluru (BLR) on EK 564/565
- Dubai (DXB) – Dallas (DFW) on EK 221/222
- Dubai (DXB) – Houston (IAH) on EK 211/212
- Dubai (DXB) – London (STN) on EK 65/66 and EK 67/68
- Dubai (DXB) – Kuwait City (KWI) on EK 855/856
- Dubai (DXB) – Malé (MLE) on EK 658/659
- Dubai (DXB) – Victoria (SEZ) on EK 705/706
- Dubai (DXB) – Vienna (VIE) on EK 125/126
- Dubai (DXB) – Zurich (ZRH) on EK 87/88
If you’re looking to book with points, you’re going to have to book very close to departure. The best chance of booking a first class suite with points is 1 to 2 days before your flight.
How To Fly Emirates First Class
Now that you have a taste of Emirates first class, let’s discuss how to book this flight so that you can have some fun!
Note: Emirates no longer allows its first class awards to be booked with Alaska Airlines miles or Japan Airlines miles. Qantas and Korean Air redemptions are still allowed indefinitely.
Emirates is a transfer partner with all 6 transferable points currencies: American Express Membership Rewards, Brex Rewards, Capital One Miles, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Citi ThankYou Rewards, and Marriott Bonvoy.
Better yet, Emirates massively reduced the carrier-imposed surcharges on flights! Depending on your award ticket, you’ll also be able to leverage stopovers!
Here’s how you can book your award:
- Visit Emirates.
- Log in to your Skywards account.
- After you log in, search for flights.
- Select your flights.
- Pay with your miles and any additional taxes and fees.
Earning Emirates Skywards Miles
Emirates Skywards is transfer partners with Chase, Amex, Citi, and Brex at a 1:1 ratio; plus, these transfers process almost instantly.
Capital One transfers to Emirates at a 2:1 ratio almost instantly, while Marriott Bonvoy transfers at a 3:1 ratio with a bonus of 5,000 miles after transferring 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points to Emirates at once. Marriott Bonvoy takes 3 business days to transfer to Emirates.
Recommended American Express Cards (Personal)
|Credit Card||Key Benefits & Info
The Platinum Card® from American Express
(at Amex's secure site)
60,000 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Plus, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on the Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $25,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 in statement credits each month when you pay for eligible purchases with the Platinum Card® at your choice of one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on select Equinox memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $179 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $179 back per year on your CLEAR® membership.
- Good to Excellent Credit Recommended (670-850)
- Annual Fee: $695
- Terms Apply. For rates and fees of the Amex Platinum card, click here.
Must Reads: For more info on the Amex Platinum, see our thoughts on the cards incredible benefits and perks, which includes travel insurance coverage, car rental insurance and so much more. Check out our full review to see why it’s one of the best travel credit cards.
American Express® Gold Card
(at Amex's secure site)
- Rose Gold is here to stay. Card Members can choose between a Gold or Rose Gold Card.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4x Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, including takeout and delivery, and earn 4x Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1x).
- Earn 3x Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Good to Excellent Credit Recommended (670-840)
- Annual Fee: $250
- Terms Apply. For rates and fees of the Amex Gold Card, click here.
Must Reads: For more info on the Amex Gold Card, see our guides on its benefits and perks, as well as our full review.
Other Ways To Book Emirates First Class
At the moment, it’s still possible to redeem Qantas Frequent Flyer points and Korean Air SKYPASS miles (round-trip only) for Emirates first class, but it’s anybody’s guess as to how long these partners will have access to Emirates first class award availability.
Additionally, the redemption price using Qantas points isn’t attractive, and Korean Air miles are similarly difficult to earn (with generally unattractive redemption rates to boot).
Bottom Line: To book Emirates first class at reasonable rates and be able to earn points easily, stick to the Emirates Skywards frequent flyer program. There are plenty of transfer partners available to book these incredible flights.
Great Emirates First Class Redemptions
Let’s look at a few options available for booking:
- New York (JFK) to Dubai (DXB) round-trip in first class for 217,500 Emirates miles
- New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) round-trip in first class for 135,000 Emirates miles
- New York (JFK) to Milan (MXP) to Dubai (DXB) to Bangkok (BKK) to Dubai (DXB) to Milan (MXP) to New York (JFK) for 285,000 Emirates miles
- This routing could include a stopover in Milan or Dubai on your way to Bangkok, plus a stopover at the other city on your return to New York
- New York (JFK) to Perth (PER) round-trip in first class for 345,000 Emirates miles
- Tokyo (HND) to Dubai (DXB) one-way in Emirates’ Game Changer First Class Suites for 187,500 Emirates miles
If you want to experience a shower in the sky, find a route on which Emirates operates an Airbus A380. Currently, Emirates operates this aircraft between Dubai and 6 U.S. airports:
- Boston (BOS) [seasonal]
- Los Angeles (LAX)
- New York (JFK)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Washington, D.C. (IAD)
The Dubai to Los Angeles route is actually one of the longest flights in the world — plenty of time to enjoy the glamour of an A380 Emirates first experience!
Emirates flies to several other U.S. airports with its “older” Boeing 777. These routes still provide the first class suite (albeit slightly smaller) and perks, but you won’t get to experience the shower spa and inflight bar.
Hot Tip: Check out our in-depth guide for a full list of Emirates’ routes from the U.S., including plane types, cabins, and seating options.
How To Earn Enough Miles for Emirates First Class
The best frequent flyer program to use for Emirates first class tickets is none other than Emirates’ own Skywards program.
With this program, you’ll enjoy flexibility in earning Skywards miles, reasonable redemption rates, and most importantly, the single-best way to book Emirates first class using points.
You’ll have to pay for fuel surcharges, but these are much lower in a post-pandemic world.
Lastly, all Emirates first class bookings allow a complimentary stopover, as well as complimentary changes and cancellations to the reservations.
Amex, Brex, Chase, Citi, Capital One, and Marriott Bonvoy all transfer to Emirates Skywards, though the first 4 do so at a 1:1 ratio. Capital One transfers at a 2:1 ratio while Marriott Bonvoy transfers at a 3:1 ratio with a 5,000-mile bonus when transferring 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points at once.
When Should You Search for Emirates First Class Award Space?
Emirates first class is a highly sought-after award ticket, so you should start searching for space as soon as you have an idea about your travel dates.
The more flexibility you have with your travel dates, the easier it will be to find space and book your Emirates first class experience!
If you’re looking to book the Emirates 777-300ER Game Changer First Class Suites, your best shot is to book 1 to 2 days in advance. Emirates rarely releases award space on these flights until very close to departure.
What Makes Emirates First Class Amazing?
If the pictures above weren’t enough to convince you that Emirates first class is an experience not to be missed, let’s dive into some more features you’ll get to enjoy:
Emirates First Class Lounge
When departing from or transiting through Dubai International Airport (DXB), you will have access to the Emirates First Class Lounge. If your flight is on the Emirates A380, you will be able to board your flight directly from the lounge.
You’ll find areas dedicated to entertainment, dining, and even families with children — there really is something for everyone in the Emirates First Class Lounge.
Emirates has amazing lounges in other airports around the world, too, including New York (JFK) where you can also board your flight from the lounge.
Emirates First Class Catering
From start to finish, your first class experience will include fantastic food and beverage choices. In the Emirates First Class Lounge, you have the option to enjoy snacks from a buffet or order a meal in the dining area anytime you’re hungry.
You’ll also enjoy on-demand dining on your flight, so you can eat when you are ready. As we mentioned above, fine Champagne and other drinks are available as desired.
Emirates Inflight Bar
One of the most well-known features of Emirates first class on its Airbus A380 is the inflight bar. Located at the rear of the business class cabin, first class passengers are welcome to enjoy the company of fellow passengers and have a drink.
You can even bring your Dom Perignon Champagne with you! This is a fantastic way to stretch your legs and add a little fun to your flight.
Emirates First Class Shower Spa
Emirates first class passengers can also enjoy the first class shower spa. You will have access to the room for 30 minutes, with 5 minutes of hot water in the shower. During your spa experience, you might notice that your feet are warm… that’s because the floor is heated!
After a long flight, this can be just what you need to freshen up before an adventure.
Emirates First Class Amenity Kit and Pajamas
To top off the first class experience, Emirates provides an amenity kit with high-end Bvlgari products and pajamas (to keep) so you can relax comfortably during your flight.
It’s clear that Emirates first class is an experience any traveler will enjoy. While these flights retail for tens of thousands of dollars, you can use Emirates Skywards miles to score an amazing award ticket.
Like with all award bookings, make sure you check for award availability before transferring points. Remember to start your search for award space as soon as you’ve narrowed down your possible travel dates to increase the likelihood of finding Emirates first class award space.
Now that you know how to book Emirates first class, what are you waiting for? Get out there and take flight in one of the most amazing first class products in the sky!
For rates and fees of The Platinum Card® from American Express, click here.
For rates and fees of the American Express® Gold Card, click here.