Etihad Airways has a very straightforward baggage policy in terms of included allowance.
The cost of additional pieces and overweight/oversized luggage is more complex, with a more in-depth table.
Etihad Carry-on Allowance
1 personal item: FREE
# of standard carry-on items:
- Economy: 1 bag up to 15 pounds (7 kg) FREE
- Business, First Class, The Residence: 2 bags with a combined weight of 26 pounds (12 kg) FREE
- Personal: 15.3 x 9 x 7.5 inches (39 x 23 x 19 cm) and 11 pounds (5 kg)
- Standard: 22 x 14.2 x 9 inches (56 x 36 x 23 cm)
Lap Infant Carry-on Policy
- 1 additional cabin bag permitted up to 11 pounds (5 kg) FREE
Stroller Check Policy
- 1 stroller, carrycot, or car seat may be checked free of charge or be carried on board if there is space
Etihad Checked Baggage Allowance
Etihad advises passengers to check their baggage allowance using the airline’s baggage calculator.
Allowance for Flights To/From the U.S. and Canada:
- Economy: 2 bags (50 pounds/23 kg each)
- Business/First Class: 2 bags (70 pounds/32 kg each)
For All Other Routes:
|Economy Class Cabin||Business Class Cabin|
|Hand Baggage Fare||No Checked Allowance||–|
|Sale||0-44 pounds (0-20 kg)||–|
|Value||0-88 pounds (0-40 kg)||77-88 pounds (35-40 kg)|
|Choice||66-88 pounds (30-40 kg)||88-99 pounds (40-45 kg)|
|ChoicePlus||77-110 pounds (35-50 kg)||88-110 pounds (40-50 kg)|
|GuestSeat||50-88 pounds (23-40 kg)||66-88 pounds (30-40 kg)|
All first class cabin passengers get an allowance of 110 pounds (50 kg).
All checked bags must not exceed 35.4 x 28.3 x 17.7 inches (90 x 72 x 45 cm).
The same baggage allowance applies to your outbound and return flights unless 2 separate tickets have been booked.
Lap Infant Checked Bag Policy
- To/from U.S. and Canada
- 1 bag, up to 50 pounds (23 kg)
- To/from all other destinations
- 1 bag, up to 22 pounds (10 kg)
For baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment, musical instruments, etc.) please refer to Etihad’s policy.
Additional/Excess Baggage Fees
|From/To||To/From||Additional 1 x 23 KG Bag||Additional 1 x 32 KG Bag|
|Americas (U.S. or Canada)||Bahrain, Israel, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE||$225||$270|
|Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Sudan||$250||$300|
For other fare types and destinations, additional/excess luggage can be purchased in 2.2-pound (1 kg) increments; price is dependent on route/zone and amount of weight required.
|ME/GCC||$20||$25 to $40||$30||$30||$40||$20|
|Indian Sub Continent||$20||$40||$40||$40||$40||$30|
ME/GCC: Bahrain, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, UAE
- During booking, customers can purchase excess baggage on the website and secure a 30% discount on the excess baggage airport rates.
- Etihad Guest members can redeem miles for excess baggage.
- Discounts are available up to 48 hours prior to flight departure for purchase via the contact center. For online booking, you can secure a discount up to 4 hours before flight departure.
- All excess baggage payments (fully or partially used) are non-refundable.
- Debit cards are not accepted via the contact centers.
Exclusions and Waivers
Etihad Guest members receive an additional 50-pound (23 kg) bag or 70-pound (32 kg) checked bag (dependent on fare/class) at no extra cost.
Passengers may bring a set of golf clubs weighing up to 33 pounds (15 kg) in addition to standard baggage allowance free of charge.
Can I Prepay for Baggage?
Etihad Airways does allow passengers the ability to prepay for luggage online or via the mobile app.
Here are the ways you can pre-pay:
Credit Cards That Reimburse You for Checked Bag Fees
If you expect to have overweight or oversized checked bags, you have a few card options that will reimburse you for the fees. These Capital One cards reimburse travel expenses (purchased within 90 days) at a rate of 1 cent per mile.
To see more airline baggage fees and policies, click here
The information regarding the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card, Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card, and Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card was independently collected by Upgraded Points and not provided nor reviewed by the issuer.
Featured Image Credit:
Etihad and Shutterstock