Etihad Airways has a very straightforward baggage policy in terms of included allowance.
The cost of additional pieces and overweight/oversized luggage is more complex, with a more in-depth table presented on their website.
Etihad Carry-On Allowance
1 personal item: FREE
# of Standard carry-on items:
- Economy: 1 bag up to 15 pounds (7 kg) FREE
- Business, First Class, The Residence: 2 bags with a combined weight of 26 pounds (12 kg) FREE
- Personal: 15.3 x 9 x 7.5 inches (39 x 23 x 19 cm) and 11 pounds (5 kg)
- Standard: 22 x 14.2 x 9 inches (56 x 36 x 23 cm)
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- 1 additional cabin bag permitted up to 11 pounds (5 kg) FREE
Stroller Check Policy
- 1 stroller, carrycot, or car seat may be checked free of charge or be carried on board if there is space
Etihad Checked Baggage Allowance
Etihad advises passengers to check their baggage allowance using the airline’s baggage calculator.
Allowance for flights to/from the United States and Canada:
- Economy: 2 bags (50 pounds/ 23 kg each)
- Business/First Class: 2 bags (70 pounds / 32 kg each)
Allowance for other routes that use the weight concept:
- Hand Baggage fare: No checked allowance
- Economy Sale: 44 pounds (20 kg)
- Economy/Economy Value: 50 pounds (23 kg)
- Economy Choice and GuestSeat Business: 66 pounds (30 kg)
- Economy Choice Plus and Business Value: 77 pounds (35 kg)
- Business Choice: 88 pounds (40 kg)
- First Class, GuestSeat First, and Business Choice Plus: 110 pounds (50 kg)
- The Residence: 4 x 70 pounds (32 kg) bags
All checked bags must not exceed 35.4 x 28.3 x 17.7 inches (90 x 72 x 45 cm).
The same baggage allowance applies to your outbound and return flights unless two separate tickets have been booked.
Lap Infant Checked Bag Policy
- To / from USA and Canada
- 1 bag, up to 50 pounds (23 kg)
- To / from all other destinations
- 1 bag, up to 22 pounds (10 kg)
For baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment, musical instruments, etc.) please refer to Etihad’s policy here.
Additional / Excess Baggage Fees
|From/To||To/From||Additional 1 x 23kg bag||Additional 1 x 32kg bag|
|Americas (U.S. or Canada)||UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia||$225||$270|
|Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Sudan||$250||$300|
For other fare types and destinations, additional/excess luggage can be purchased in 2.2 pound (1 kg) increments – price dependent on route/zone & amount of weight required.
|To/From||ME/GCC||Asia||Africa||Europe||Australia||Indian Sub Continent|
|Indian Sub Continent||$20||$40||$40||$40||$40||$30|
ME/GCC: UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Azerbaijan, Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt
- During booking, customers can purchase excess baggage on the website and secure a 20% discount on the excess baggage airport rates.
- Etihad Guest members can redeem miles for excess baggage here.
- To Note:
- Discounts are available up to 48 hours prior to flight departure.
- All excess baggage payments (fully or partially used) are non-refundable.
- Debit cards are not accepted via our Contact Centres.
Can I Pre-pay for Baggage?
Etihad Airways does allow passengers the ability to pre-pay for luggage online or via the mobile app.
Here are the ways you can pre-pay:
Credit Cards That Reimburse You For Checked Bag Fees
If you expect to have overweight or oversized checked bags, you have a few card options that will reimburse you for the fees.
|Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card - This no annual fee card comes with a 20,000 bonus mile offer after spending $500 in the first 3 months. When you use your card for travel purchases (e.g. baggage fees), use your miles to pay off all, or part of, your statement balance! We've highlighted 30+ benefits of the card.|
|Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card - The "big brother" card to the VentureOne with a 75,000 bonus miles when you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. This card is full of benefits and perks and you can redeem your miles on travel (flights, hotels, even paying for baggage fees etc) or transfer your miles to over 15+ travel loyalty programs.|
|Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card - The newest card in the Capital One lineup with a welcome offer of 75,000 bonus miles after spending $4,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening. Not only does the card come with up to $300 in statement credits when booking through Capital One Travel, you'll also get get 10,000 bonus miles (equal to $100 towards travel) every year, starting on your first anniversary. |
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel and 5x miles on flights booked through Capital One Travel, plus unlimited 2x miles on all other purchases.
Exclusions & Waivers
Journeys on “The Residence”: Each guest is entitled to 4 pieces, up to 70 pounds (32 kg each).
Etihad Guest members receive an additional 50 pound (23 kg) bag or 70 pound (32 kg) checked bag (dependent on fare/ class) at no extra cost.
Passengers may bring a set of golf clubs weighing up to 33 pounds (15 kg) in addition to standard baggage allowance free of charge.
To see more airline baggage fees and policies, click here
Featured Image Credit:
Etihad and Shutterstock