Etihad has a very straightforward baggage policy in terms of included allowance.
The cost of additional pieces and overweight/oversized luggage is more complex, with a more in-depth table presented on their website.
Table of contents
Table of Contents
Etihad Carry-On Allowance
1 personal item: FREE (5kg)
# of Standard carry-on items:
- Economy: 1 bag up to 7kg FREE
- Business, First Class, The Residence: 2 bags with a combined weight of 12kg FREE
- Personal: 40cm x 30cm x 15cm
- Standard: 50cm x 40cm x 25 cm
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- Allowed 1 bag, up to 5kg FREE
Stroller Check Policy
- Etihad will place luggage tags on strollers at the check-in process. These strollers are permitted to be used within the airport, and will be checked in at the gate free of charge.
- Strollers are also allowed to be checked at the ticket counter, as Etihad provides complimentary strollers that are available in the terminal.
Etihad Checked Baggage Allowance
General policy for weight allowance (excluding routes detailed in the table below)
- Economy: 23kg (50lb)
- Economy Saver and Classic: 30kg (66lb)
- Economy Flex: 35kg (77lb)
- Business Class: 40kg (88lb)
- First Class: 50kg (110lb)
- The Residence: 4 x 32 kg bags
All checked bags must adhere to max linear dimensions of:
- To / from Canada and the US: 158cm (70cm x 50cm x 38cm)
- To / from all other destinations: 207cm (90cm x 72cm x 45cm)
The following routes have specific baggage allowances, with an individual item not exceeding 32kg:
|To/From US and Canada||2 bags, up to 23kg ea.||2 bags, up to 32kg ea.||2 bags, up to 32kg ea.|
|Africa to/from Most Destinations (excl US/Canada)||40kg||40kg||50kg|
|GCC, Lebanon & Jordan to/from Africa||40kg||40kg||50kg|
|GCC to/from Bangladesh, Indonesia & Philippines||40kg||40kg||50kg|
|From India to UK||40kg||50kg||60kg|
|Route||Economy Deals & Economy Saver and Classic||Economy Flex||Business|
|India, Australia, China, Japan, Korea, Pakistan, Hong Kong to/from Africa||30kg||35kg||40kg||50kg|
|Australia to Europe||30kg||35kg||40kg||50kg|
|Asia to/from Europe & GCC||30kg||35kg||40kg||50kg|
|Philippines, India, Pakistan, & Bangladesh to/from Europe||30kg||35kg||40kg||50kg|
|GCC to/from Indian Subcontinent (excluding Bangladesh)||30kg||35kg||40kg||50kg|
|To/from India and Europe (excluding UK)||30kg||35kg||40kg||50kg|
|From India & Pakistan to Australia||30kg||35kg||40kg||50kg|
|Italy to China||30kg||35kg||40kg||50kg|
|UK to India||30kg||35kg||40kg||50kg|
|Route||Economy Deal||Economy Saver & Classic||Economy Flex||Business Class||First Class|
|China to/from Japan||Hand luggage only||30kg||35kg||40kg||50kg|
|UAE to/from Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Azerbaijan, Jordan and Lebanon||Hand luggage only||30kg||35kg||40kg||50kg|
|Egypt to/from UAE||Hand luggage only||40kg||40kg||40kg||50kg|
The same baggage allowance applies to your outbound and return flights unless two separate tickets have been booked.
Lap Infant Checked Bag Policy
- To / from USA and Canada
- 1 bag, up to 23kg
- To / from all other destinations
- 1 bag, up to 10kg
For baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment, musical instruments, etc.) please refer to Etihad’s policy here.
Additional / Excess Baggage Fees
Etihad does not disclose excess baggage fees on their website anymore and encourage passengers to use their baggage calculator. We found the below fees by running some basic searches through the calculator.
Additional fees for hand baggage only fare (prices below are inclusive of the 20% discount when booking online up to 48 hours before departure:)
|UAE||Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Azerbaijan, Jordan, Lebanon and Egypt||$32||$48||$120||$192||$264|
|Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Azerbaijan, Jordan and Lebanon||UAE||$32||$48||$120||$192||$264|
|China to / from Japan||$32||$48||$120||$192||$264|
Fees for U.S. and Canada (prices are inclusive of the 20% discount when booking online up to 48 hours before departure:)
|From/To||To/From||Additional 1 x 23kg bag|
|Americas (U.S. or Canada)||UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia||$307|
|Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Sudan||$256|
For other fare types and destinations, additional/excess luggage can be purchased in 5/10kg increments – price dependent on route/zone & amount of weight required.
Prices are inclusive of the 20% discount when booking online up to 48 hours before departure:
|UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia||UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia||–||$37||–||$55||$138||$221||$304|
|Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt|
|Indian Subcontinent, Sudan||$83||$166||$212||$258||$304||$331||$359|
|Japan and Korea|
- During booking, customers can purchase excess baggage on the website and secure a 20% discount on the excess baggage airport rates.
- Customers can also call the Contact Centre or visit the local Etihad Airwars offices to secure a 10% discount on the airport rates.
- Etihad Guest members can redeem miles for excess baggage here.
- To Note:
- Discounts are available up to 48 hours prior to flight departure.
- All excess baggage payments (fully or partially used) are non-refundable.
- Debit cards are not accepted via our Contact Centres.
Oversized baggage fees:
- Flights within Middle East, between the Middle East and Indian Subcontinent, or flights between Beijing and Nagoya: $40
- Other destination, including U.S. and Canada: $60
Can I Pre-pay for Baggage?
Etihad Airways does allow passengers the ability to pre-pay for luggage online or via the mobile app.
Here are the ways you can pre-pay:
- Log in to the ‘Manage my Booking’ area of the Etihad website and select ‘Buy baggage & select seats’.
- Download and log in to the Etihad Airways app
Credit Cards That Reimburse You For Checked Bag Fees
If you expect to have overweight or oversized checked bags, you have a few card options that will reimburse you for the fees.
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card - This no annual fee card comes with a 20,000 mile welcome bonus (worth $200) once you spend $1,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening. When you use your card for travel purchases (e.g. baggage fees), use your miles to pay off all, or part of, your statement! This is why we like this card.|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card - The "big brother" card to the VentureOne® with a larger 50,000 welcome bonus (worth $500) once you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.|
Exclusions & Waivers
Journeys on “The Residence”: Each guest is entitled to 4 pieces, up to 32kg each.
Etihad Guest members receive an additional 23kg bag or 32kg checked bag (dependent on fare/ class) at no extra cost.
Passengers may bring a set of golf clubs weighing up to 15kg in addition to standard baggage allowance free of charge.