Etihad has a very straightforward baggage policy in terms of included allowance.
The cost of additional pieces and overweight/oversized luggage is more complex, with a more in-depth table presented on their website.
Table of Contents
Etihad Carry-On Allowance:
1 personal item: FREE
# of Standard carry-on items:
- Economy: 1 bag, up to 7kg FREE
- Business & First Class: 2 bags, 12kg total FREE
- Personal: undisclosed
- Standard: 115 cm (40 x 50 x 25cm).
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- Allowed 1 bag, up to 5kg FREE
Stroller Check Policy
- Etihad will place luggage tags on strollers at the check-in process. These strollers are permitted to be used within the airport, and will be checked in at the gate free of charge.
- Strollers are also allowed to be checked at the ticket counter, as Etihad provides complimentary strollers that are available in the terminal.
Etihad Checked Baggage Allowance:
All checked bags must adhere to a max weight of 23kg (50lb) for Economy & Premium Economy; 32kg (70lb) for Business and First Class fares
All checked bags must adhere to max linear dimensions of:
- To / from Canada and the US: 158cm (70 x 50 x 38cm)
- To / from all other destinations: 207cm (90 x 72 x 45cm)
|To/From US and Canada||2 bags, up to 23kg ea.||2 bags, up to 32kg ea.||2 bags, up to 32kg ea.|
|Africa to/from Most Destinations (excl US/Canada)*||40kg||40kg||50kg|
|GCC, Lebanon & Jordan to/from Africa*||40kg||40kg||50kg|
|GCC to/from Bangladesh, Indonesia & Philippines*||40kg||40kg||50kg|
|Route||Economy Deals & Economy Saver Fare Choices||Economy Classic & Economy Flex Fare Choices||Business||First|
|India, Australia, China, Japan, Korea, Pakistan, Hong Kong to/from Africa*||30kg||35kg||40kg||50kg|
|Australia to/from Europe*||30kg||35kg||40kg||50kg|
|Asia to/from Europe & GCC*||30kg||35kg||40kg||50kg|
|Philippines, India, Pakistan, & Bangladesh to/from Europe*||30kg||35kg||40kg||50kg|
*The weight of each item must not exceed 32kg
For all other routes please see Etihad’s policy here.
Lap Infant Checked Bag Policy
- To / from weight concept markets: journeys between the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) and the Indian Subcontinent (ISC)
- 1 bag, up to 10kg
- To / from piece concept markets: all other journeys
- 1 bag, up to 23kg
For baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment, musical instruments, etc.) please refer to Etihad’s policy here.
Credit Cards That Reimburse You For Checked Bag Fees
If you expect to have overweight or oversized checked bags, you have a few card options that will reimburse you for the fees.
|Credit Card||Fee Reimbursement Details|
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card|
|Chase Sapphire Reserve®|
Additional / Excess Baggage Fees:
Additional bags can be purchased – price dependent on route/zone & number/ weight but range from $84-$320 per bag. Please see the following: Etihad excess baggage outlines.
- During booking, customers can purchase excess baggage on the website and secure a 20% discount on the excess baggage airport rates.
- Customers can also call the Contact Centre or visit the local Etihad Airwars offices to secure a 10% discount on the airport rates.
- Etihad Guest members can redeem miles for excess baggage here.
- To Note:
- Discounts are available up to 48 hours prior to flight departure.
- All excess baggage payments (fully or partially used) are non-refundable.
- Debit cards are not accepted via our Contact Centres.
Exclusions & Waivers:
Journeys on “The Residence”: Each guest is entitled to 4 pieces, up to 32kg each.
Etihad Guest members receive an additional 23kg bag or 32kg checked bag (dependent on fare/ class) at no extra cost.