We’re waiting with bated breath for more information on the wider release of the official Lyft Rewards program, which will reportedly be a point-based system that awards points based on every dollar spent.
Frequent riders will be rewarded with perks such as riding in a more luxurious car, discounts on rides, and more. Lyft’s rewards points system will be easy to keep track of, as you can look at the points you have and the rewards you qualify for on your user profile page.
While Lyft’s reward points system isn’t widely available in the U.S. just yet, there are plenty of ways you can get more bang for your buck from using Lyft. Whether you want to earn more Delta SkyMiles or JetBlue TrueBlue points — or you want discounts and free rides galore — there’s a little something for everyone looking to get more out of their rides.
Table of contents
- 8 Awesome Perks and Benefits for Lyft Passengers
- Final Thoughts
Table of Contents
- 8 Awesome Perks and Benefits for Lyft Passengers
- Final Thoughts
8 Awesome Perks and Benefits for Lyft Passengers
1. Lyft All-Access Plan
The Lyft All-Access Plan is a ride pass that can be bought upfront, so you can just purchase a set number of rides for a specific amount per ride. If your rides happen to go over the cap, All-Access Plan includes a bonus discount for you.
Hot Tip: The All-Access Plan is available anywhere in the U.S. where you can use Lyft, and it renews automatically every 30 days until you cancel your chosen plan.
Purchasing an All-Access Plan is super easy:
- Open the Lyft app
- Access the sidebar menu by tapping the top-left icon to open it
- Go to the Notifications menu
- Press the “Learn More” link on the All-Access Plan notification card
- Look over the details for the plan that you want, then hit “Get the plan”
- You will have a chance to review your payment method and All-Access Plan terms before hitting “Subscribe”
If you’d like to order this plan on a desktop, it’s just as simple:
- Visit lyft.com/all-access
- Enter the phone number tied to your account
- Once you’ve entered a verification code sent to your phone, you can review All-Access Plan terms and details before clicking on the “Get the plan” button
- Just like on the app, you will have a chance to review your payment method and plan terms before hitting “Subscribe”
Once you’re done, voila! You’ll have as many rides as you need at the touch of your fingertips. If you need to cancel your All-Access Plan on your Lyft app, just go into the “Notifications” tab and hit “Manage” on the All-Access Plan notification card.
Prepaid cards, Google Pay, and Apple Pay are not accepted for these subscription purchases, so if you update your default payment for Lyft to one of these, the All-Access Plan subscription will renew with the original payment method you used to purchase.
Contact your bank if there are other renewal issues. Also, tips are not part of the All-Access Plan and will be charged to your default method of payment directly.
2. Scheduled Rides With Lyft
Another fantastic option that Lyft offers is the ability to schedule rides in advance. If you know where and when you need to be somewhere — or simply want to avoid paying extra during price surges due to traffic or demand for drivers — this option is perfect for you and will save you money.
Hot Tip: Scheduling Lyft rides in advance is great for having a car ready for those early-morning trips to the airport!
3. Lyft & JetBlue Partnership Benefits
To enjoy the benefits of Lyft and JetBlue together, go here. You have 2 options for introductory benefits; you can only choose 1, so pick carefully:
- To get $15 off of your first ride, put in your phone number
- If you would prefer 750 TrueBlue points, tap “Create Your Account”
If you choose the TrueBlue points, enter your phone number and you’ll receive an SMS with a download link for Lyft. Download and install the app and set up your account.
After setting this up, link your JetBlue and Lyft accounts through Lyft’s “Connected services” page:
- Put in your phone number and tap “Log in”
- Enter the verification code that gets texted to you and tap “Submit”
- Input your name and your TrueBlue number before hitting “Connect” to make sure you get your points.
If you choose $15 off of your first ride, you’ll set up a Lyft account after receiving an SMS with a download link for Lyft. Set up an account as you normally would, and $15 off will be applied automatically to your account!
In the app, you will also see a note offering to connect your Lyft account with your JetBlue account to earn points on future rides. Simply tap the “Connect” button, enter your TrueBlue number and your name, and double-check your number to make sure it’s correct before connecting.
Hot Tip: To earn TrueBlue points going forward, make sure your Lyft and JetBlue accounts are connected. Points are earned by taking rides to or from any airport where Lyft can operate.
For every applicable Lyft standard, Lyft XL, or Lyft Lux ride that you take, you get 30 points and can accumulate up to 1,200 points a year! You can easily keep track of your TrueBlue points on jetblue.com and when the times comes, you’ll have several ways to use your TrueBlue points for maximum value.
Points are visible immediately after finishing a ride that qualifies for points; just go to jetblue.com and sign in with your account. Tap the “True Blue” header to see your 3 most recent points activities. Check the “See All Activities” menu if you don’t happen to see your Lyft points there.
Currently, points can only be earned on Lyft, Lyft XL, or Lyft Lux rides and cannot be applied retroactively, but your points will never expire. If you don’t have a TrueBlue account, you can still qualify for $15 off your first ride if you put in the proper redemption code!
4. Connecting Your Delta SkyMiles & Lyft Accounts
If you link your Delta SkyMiles and Lyft accounts, the benefits are incredible. For every Lyft standard, Lyft XL, or Lyft Lux ride you take, you can earn 1 mile per $1 spent. As of February 2018, this goes up to 2 miles for every $1 for airport rides!
You will also receive 2 $10 coupons to use on your first 2 rides with Lyft if you’ve never signed up with Lyft previously. Once you link your SkyMiles and Lyft accounts, the coupons will be automatically applied to your account. To make a SkyMiles account, you can create one at delta.com/skymiles.
Delta miles earned through Lyft will never expire, but cannot be added retroactively. Lyft credits and gift cards also do not count toward your SkyMiles.
If you already have a Lyft account, connecting your Lyft and Skymiles accounts is easy:
- Go to delta.com/lyft
- Enter your SkyMiles account number and full name associated with the account
- Tap “Link now” (it’s important that the name on your Lyft account matches the name on your SkyMiles account for this)
- Tap the “Continue with Lyft” option
- Enter the phone number used for your Lyft account
- You will be sent a verification code to input and submit
- Next, you’ll be sent permissions and terms to read
- Tap “Accept” on the “Connect with Lyft” page
Hot Tip: Did you know Delta miles can be used on a variety of partners — not just on Delta? They can be used on Air France/KLM, Aeroflot, Aeromexico and others. See our post on the best ways to use your Delta SkyMiles.
If you’re new to using Lyft, the process is similar:
- Go to delta.com/lyft and create an account using the same first and last name on your SkyMiles account as well as your SkyMiles account number. (This will let you receive those 2 $10 ride discounts!)
- Once that information is correctly entered, tap “Link Now” and then “Continue with Lyft.”
- Enter your phone number and the information requested.
- Hit the “Sign Up” button.
- You will be texted a verification code by Lyft. Put that in and hit “Submit.”
- Enter your payment information, and hit “Submit” again.
- You will be given some permissions to read — hit “Accept.”
To see your Delta miles, go to delta.com/skymiles. These points will show up 24-48 hours after a qualifying ride has been completed, but sometimes it can take up to 5 days.
5. Lyft Pass & Other Subscription Passes
Lyft offers Ride Passes to get a discount on a set number of rides during a specific period of time. You can check the details on your ride passes, including the value and expiration date, in the “Promos” tab of your Lyft app.
These promos only apply to Lyft standard, Lyft XL, or shared rides. For example, a Ride Pass might offer $5 off of $10 rides, or an $8 flat fare on 10 rides valued up to $20 each.
Subscription ride plans, including the aforementioned All-Access Plan, are purchased for an upfront price and apply a specific promotional value for rides taken during a certain time period. You can check on any subscription plans in the “Promos” tab of your Lyft app. While some plans automatically renew, any plan can be canceled anytime from the “Notifications” tab.
Besides the popular All-Access Plan, other subscription plans include:
- Smart Savings Plan: Takes a specific percentage discount off of all rides during a certain time frame
- Commute Plan: Applies to rides starting and ending at your saved home and work locations in your account
- Personal Plan: Applies to specific pick-up and drop-off points of your choosing at the time of purchasing the plan
6. Lyft Business Profile
If you need to use Lyft for work, it offers plenty of options for businesses, including auto-expensing! If you don’t have a Lyft account just yet, be sure to make an account by going to the Lyft business profile page:
- Input your work email address and hit “Next”
- Enter your payment method of choice (use your business card if you have one)
- Download the Lyft app and create an account
Here’s how to get started with Lyft Business if you already have an account:
- Go to the top-left menu icon and tap it
- Go to “Settings” and tap “Business Profile” in the menu
- Hit the “Get Started” link
- Input your work email and hit “Next”
- Enter your payment information, or select a payment method from those that you have available. (This will be the default payment used for your business trips, and is separate from the payment in your personal account. )
- Tap “Next” after putting in that information
- Then hit “Done”
To use your Lyft account for a work-related trip, tap the “Personal” button under the estimate for your ride fare — this will switch your account and payment method to your business account and associated means of payment.
You can also set up auto-expensing to keep track of your business-related transportation. When you set up auto-expensing, Lyft will automatically forward your trip receipts to the expense management system of your choice. It’s super easy to set this up on your phone:
- Open your Lyft App and select the top-left menu icon
- Go to “Settings” and tap “Business profile”
- Hit the “Expense management” option
- Select your employer’s expense management system, and make sure it’s among the ones that Lyft is currently compatible with (Concur, Abacus, Zoho, Certify, Xpenditure, ChromeRiver, Expensify, and Nexonia)
If you accidentally charge a business ride to your personal account, you can still switch to your business profile and payment method after the ride is done as long as you haven’t submitted the payment yet. However, once you submit payment, this cannot be changed.
One more thing to keep in mind is that since employers typically reimburse you for these ride expenses, promo codes cannot currently be used on business profiles — but you can still enjoy these promos in your personal account.
7. Referring New Passengers for Free Rides
Certain cities also allow you to refer your friends to use Lyft in exchange for a free ride. Check the left-side menu of your Lyft app and select “Free Rides” to see if your city qualifies for this promotion.
It’s very easy: just share your referral code (there are a few different ways to do this). You can invite your friends to Lyft by using the aforementioned “Free Rides” options, and invite the contacts on your phone to use Lyft if they’re new to the service. New Lyft users can also enter your referral code to get you a free ride.
When being referred, the new Lyft passenger receives free ride credit immediately (it will be accessible from the “Promo” section of their Lyft app). When you refer a passenger, you will see your free credit after they have taken a ride with Lyft.
Keep in mind that in order to receive your credit, the passenger must be new to Lyft and must use your code specifically! These referral credits are good for 14 days and are generally for a fixed amount off your ride.
8. Lyft Credit, Discounts, & Promo Codes
Lyft credit is a convenient way to have an amount set aside for rides, and it can be added to your account either directly through the app or by clicking a link that provides you with Lyft credit.
This amount will not be applied to tips, cancellations, or damages that may have occurred from the ride. Lyft credits last until they either expire or are used up, and they can be used to cover the cost of several rides.
Lyft also offers percentage discounts for you to make your rides even more affordable, and there are a couple different kinds of these discounts:
- Flat fares: Allow you to pay a fixed amount for rides up to a certain cap (such as paying $5 for a ride that is up to $10 in value.)
- Fixed discounts: Remove a set dollar value from your ride fare and some additional fees if applicable. If a ride happens to cost more than the discount value, the remainder will be charged to your set payment method.
Lyft Promo Codes
There are 2 ways to apply Lyft promo codes to your account: entering codes and automatic application of promotions. Check the “Promos” tab of your Lyft app to see the details on what promotions are available to you, their value, when they expire, and what the terms and ride limits are for them.
Any active promos you have in your account can also be viewed in the “Promos tab” and will show the value and expiration date of each. Here’s how to add a promo code to your account from the Lyft app:
- Tap the menu icon on the top left
- Choose “Promos”
- Tap the “Enter promo code” section to add your code, and make sure it’s spelled correctly
- Hit the “Apply” button after that, and you’re done!
If a code didn’t apply to your account, be sure to check the terms, expiration date, or see if you have any other promotions active — you can only use 1 promotion at a time per ride.
While the Lyft Rewards program is still in its infancy, there are still plenty of ways to take advantage of the many ways Lyft can save you money while we wait and see what Lyft has in store.
There are a number of ways you can maximize earning points while riding Lyft, and you certainly don’t want to leave any points on the table! Between connecting your Delta SkyMiles or JetBlue TrueBlue account and all the other ways to earn, the more you ride Lyft on the roads, the more you’ll benefit from free flights up in the air!