Customers need to be careful about how charges like baggage fees add up on budget airlines like Spirit.
Spirit Airlines does not include any bags in their base allowance (Bare Fare), not even carry-ons. Additionally, baggage prices increase the closer you get to take-off. This means your best bet is to buy your allowance during your initial booking.
Another consideration: Spirit’s baggage policy states the max checked bag weight allowed is 40lbs. This is 10lbs less than the standard average and you’d better believe you’ll be paying extra for that difference.
Table of contents
Table of Contents
Spirit Airlines Carry-On Allowance
1 personal item: FREE with Bare Fare
Standard carry-on bag (fees are route dependent):
- $9 fare club – $26-$31
- Standard – $35-$40
Before & During Online Check-In:
- $9 fare club – $36-$41
- Standard – $45-$50
Airport Reservation Desk: $55
At Gate: $65
- Personal: 18″ x 14″ x 8″
- Standard: 22″ x 18″ x10″
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- Breast pumps and baby formula are allowed to be carried onto an aircraft and don’t count against your carry-on allowance.
Stroller Check Policy
- Spirit airlines will check a stroller or double stroller at the ticket counter or gate. The stroller will be waiting for you when you exit the aircraft.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases worldwide
Spirit Airlines Checked Baggage Allowance
All checked bags must adhere to a max weight of 40lbs and must adhere to max linear dimensions of 62 inches.
Spirit Airlines considers a number of items in their fee calculations, including: route, dates of travel, and $9 fare club or Standard fare. The following table displays general fees for MOST* routes.
For the most personal/ accurate baggage fee calculations, please use Spirit’s online baggage calculator tool here.
|Checked Bag (fees are route dependent)||During Spirit.com |
|Before Online |
|During Online |
|$9 Fare |
|Std||$9 Fare |
|Std||$9 Fare |
*Some routes may limit the number of checked bags allowed (please refer to online baggage calculator tool).
Additional / Excess Baggage Fees:
41 – 50lb: $30
51 – 70lb: $55
71 – 100lb: $100
63 – 80 linear inches: $100
Special items over 80 linear inches: $150
For baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment, musical instruments, etc.) please refer to Spirit Airlines’ policy here.
Can I Pre-pay for Baggage?
Spirit Airlines does allow passengers the ability to pre-pay for luggage online, via the mobile app or by contacting their call center.
Here are the ways you can pre-pay:
- Log in to your reservation via the ‘My Trips’ tab on the Spirit website and click ‘Add bags’. This can be done more than 24 hours before departure. For less than 24 hours before departure, use the ‘Online check-in’ tab.
- Download and log in to the Spirit Airlines app.
- Contact the Spirit Airlines call center on 801-401-2222
Avoid Paying Baggage Fees by Using These Credit Cards
Spirit is notorious for fees, but you can use points & miles to pay for your checked bag and carry-on fees (instead of cash!)
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card - This no annual fee card comes with a 20,000 mile welcome bonus (worth $200) once you spend $1,000 within the first 3 months. When you use your card for travel purchases (e.g. baggage fees), use your miles to pay off all, or part of, your statement! This is why we like this card.|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card - The "big brother" card to the VentureOne® with a larger 50,000 welcome bonus (worth $500), when you spend $3,000 within the first 3 months, and you'll earn 10X miles per $1 spent across thousands of hotels.|
Exclusions & Waivers
For active duty military, Spirit will provide two free checked bags and a free carry-on, in addition to the already free personal item.