Garuda Indonesia has a very generous free checked luggage allowance across all cabin classes, right up to 110 pounds (50 kg) for first class passengers.
For most destinations, they work on a weight system, so you can take as many bags as you like as long as they don’t exceed the maximum weight allowance combined.
However, U.S. routes work on a “piece system” for economy and business class (allowing 2 pieces of luggage) and the standard weight system for first class passengers. If you need to take even more luggage, you can save 15% by booking online or with their call center in advance.
Garuda Indonesia Carry-on Allowance
1 personal item: Undisclosed
1 standard carry-on bag: FREE
Size and Weight Restrictions
- Personal: Undisclosed
- Standard: 22 x 14 x 9 inches (56 x 36 x 23 cm) not exceeding total measurements of 45 inches (115 cm). Excluding Economy class on CRJ and ATR aircraft: 16 x 13.3 x 6.7 inches (41 cm x 34 cm x 17 cm) not exceeding total measurements of 36 inches (92 cm) and weight of 15 pounds (7 kg).
Lap Infant Carry-on Policy
- When traveling with a lap infant, a collapsible stroller, carrying basket, or car seat can be taken into the cabin with a maximum weight of 22 pounds (10 kg).
Stroller Gate Check Policy
- A stroller can be checked into the hold at the gate in addition to your standard checked luggage allowance.
Garuda Indonesia Checked Baggage Allowance
Garuda Indonesia has a weight allowance system for most destinations (apart from the U.S.), so you are not limited to how many pieces you can take as checked luggage — though each piece cannot exceed 70 pounds (32 kg).
- First Class: 88 pounds (40 kg)
- Business: 66 pounds (30 kg)
- Economy: 44 pounds (20 kg)
An infant without a seat can check 22 pounds (10 kg) of luggage when traveling in economy or business, and 44 pounds (20 kg) of luggage when traveling in first class.
|Destination||Economy Class||Business Class||First Class|
|All destinations excluding Saudi Arabia, Japan and U.S.||66 pounds (30 kg)||88 pounds (40 kg)||110 pounds (50 kg)|
|Tickets issued in Saudia Arabia: 80 pounds (40 kg) + 5 liters Zamzam water||80 pounds (40 kg) + 5 liters Zamzam water||110 pounds (50 kg) + 5 liters Zamzam water|
|Tickets issued elsewhere: 66 pounds (30 kg) + 5 liters Zamzam water|
|Japan||101 pounds (46 kg)||101 pounds (46 kg)||101 pounds (46 kg)|
|Piece system – 2 x 50 pounds/23 kg (must not exceed total dimensions 62 inches/158 cm)||Piece system – 2 x 70 pounds/32 kg (must not exceed total dimensions 62 inches/158 cm)||110 pounds (50 kg)|
Additional/Excess Baggage Fees
Please refer to Garuda Indonesia’s excess baggage table for domestic routes.
International routes charged per one-way route, per kilogram
Please refer to Garuda Indonesia’s excess baggage table for international routes.
Exclusions & Waivers
Frequent flyer programs are permitted additional baggage allowances:
- Silver Card: Extra 11 pounds (5 kg)
- Gold Card/EC Plus Card: Extra 33 pounds (15 kg)
- Platinum Card/GIC Card: Extra 44 pounds (20 kg)
- SkyTeam Elite: Extra 22 pounds/10 kg (weight system) or 1 extra piece (piece system)
- SkyTeam Elite Plus: Extra 44 pounds/20 kg (weight system) or 1 extra piece (piece system)
Can I Pre-pay for Baggage?
Garuda Indonesia does allow passengers the ability to pre-pay for luggage online, via the mobile app or by contacting their ticket office.
Here are the ways you can pre-pay:
- Select ‘My Trip’ on the Garuda Indonesia website and log in to your booking to add baggage.
- Download the Garuda Indonesia app and add pre-paid baggage at the time of booking your flight. It is not possible to add baggage after booking using the app.
- Contact their ticket office by calling (62-21) 23519999 or 0804 1 807 807.
Save up to 10% by purchasing additional baggage in advance and choose from weight allowances of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 or 40 kgs.
Rewards Cards That Reimburse You For Checked Bag Expenses (or ANY Travel Expense)
Redeem Capital One miles from the cards below for 1 cent each as a statement credit for previous travel purchases (within 90 days).
To see more airline baggage fees and policies, click here.
The information regarding the Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card, Capital One VentureOne Rewards Credit Card, and Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card was independently collected by Upgraded Points and not provided nor reviewed by the issuer.
Featured Image Credit:
Shutterstock and Garuda Indonesia