Virgin America has one of the cheapest baggage fee policies out there. At $25 a bag (after free bags included in your base fare allowance), it’s hard to beat.
Plus, 10 bags are allowed per passenger – that’s a lot of stuff. Even their overweight/ oversize fees are below the average in some cases.
Virgin America Carry-On Allowance:
1 personal item: FREE
1 standard carry-on bag: FREE
- Personal: undisclosed
- Standard: 24″ x 16″ x 10″
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
Virgin America Checked Baggage Allowance:
All checked bags must adhere to a max weight of 50lbs and must adhere to max linear dimensions of 62 inches.
A maximum of ten (10) bags may be checked per Guest.
Main Cabin: $25 per bag
Main Cabin Refundable: 1st bag included, each additional bag $25
Main Cabin Select: 1st bag included, each additional bag $25
Main Cabin Select Refundable: 1st bag included, each additional bag $25
First & First Refundable: 2 bags included, each additional bag $25
Additional / Excess Baggage Fees:
Bags 51lb – 70lb: $50
Bags 71lb – 100lb: $100
Oversized Fee: $75
Credit Cards That Reimburse You For Checked Bag Fees
Virgin America has more reasonable checked bag fees, but you can still get them reimbursed by one of the cards below:
|Loyalty Program||Credit Card||Fee Reimbursement Details|
|Chase Ultimate Rewards Program Review||Chase Sapphire Reserve℠ Card||$300 travel credit per calendar year|
|Chase Ritz-Carlton Rewards® Credit Card||$300 airline fee credit per calendar year|
|Citi ThankYou Rewards Loyalty Program||Citi Prestige Card||$250 air travel credit per calendar year|
Exclusions & Waivers:
During airport check-in:
- Elevate Gold members receive up to 3 free checked bags
- Elevate Silver members receive 1 free checked bag
- Virgin America Visa Signature card holders receive 2 free checked bags.
* Bag fees are not eligible for purchase with Elevate points or for Elevate points earning.
Active Duty Military Guests are permitted*:
- 10 bags free of charge when traveling on orders
- up to 5 bags free of charge when traveling for leisure.
* Military family and dependents with travel orders and current ID may check up to 5 bags free of charge, when traveling for leisure normal baggage rules apply.
** All bags are subject to Virgin America’s checked bag weight and size allowances.
*** For Military Guests, one duffel bag, b-4 bag, or sea bag which exceeds the 62 outside linear dimensions will be accepted as two checked bags.