Virgin America has one of the cheapest baggage fee policies out there. At $25 a bag (after free bags included in your base fare allowance), it’s hard to beat.
Plus, 10 bags are allowed per passenger – that’s a lot of stuff. Even their overweight/ oversize fees are below the average in some cases.
Table of Contents
Virgin America Carry-On Allowance:
1 personal item: FREE
1 standard carry-on bag: FREE
- Personal: undisclosed
- Standard: 24″ x 16″ x 10″
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
Virgin America Checked Baggage Allowance:
All checked bags must adhere to a max weight of 50lbs and must adhere to max linear dimensions of 62 inches.
A maximum of ten (10) bags may be checked per Guest.
Main Cabin: $25 per bag
Main Cabin Refundable: 1st bag included, each additional bag $25
Main Cabin Select: 1st bag included, each additional bag $25
Main Cabin Select Refundable: 1st bag included, each additional bag $25
First & First Refundable: 2 bags included, each additional bag $25
Additional / Excess Baggage Fees:
Bags 51lb – 70lb: $50
Bags 71lb – 100lb: $100
Oversized Fee: $75
Credit Cards That Reimburse You For Checked Bag Fees
Virgin America has more reasonable checked bag fees, but you can still get them reimbursed by one of the cards below:
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card - This no annual fee card comes with a 20,000 mile welcome bonus (worth $200) once you spend $1,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening. When you use your card for travel purchases (e.g. baggage fees), use your miles to pay off all, or part of, your statement! This is why we like this card.|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card - The "big brother" card to the VentureOne® with a larger 50,000 welcome bonus (worth $500) once you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening and you'll earn 10X miles per $1 spent across thousands of hotels.|
Exclusions & Waivers:
During airport check-in:
- Elevate Gold members receive up to 3 free checked bags
- Elevate Silver members receive 1 free checked bag
- Virgin America Visa Signature card holders receive 2 free checked bags.
* Bag fees are not eligible for purchase with Elevate points or for Elevate points earning.
Active Duty Military Guests are permitted*:
- 10 bags free of charge when traveling on orders
- up to 5 bags free of charge when traveling for leisure.
* Military family and dependents with travel orders and current ID may check up to 5 bags free of charge, when traveling for leisure normal baggage rules apply.
** All bags are subject to Virgin America’s checked bag weight and size allowances.
*** For Military Guests, one duffel bag, b-4 bag, or sea bag which exceeds the 62 outside linear dimensions will be accepted as two checked bags.