Edited by: Kellie Jez
Amex Gold Card vs. Amex Rose Gold Card [Are They Different?]
We may be compensated when you click on product links, such as credit cards, from one or more of our advertising partners. Terms apply to the offers below. See our Advertising Policy for more about our partners, how we make money, and our rating methodology. Opinions and recommendations are ours alone.
The American Express® Gold Card is an absolute powerhouse of a card thanks to its 4x rewards earnings per dollar spent on dining and at U.S. supermarkets, in addition to its annual credits of up to $240 a year, and its collection of other benefits.
If you’ve been considering the Amex Gold card, you’ve likely noticed that there is also a Rose Gold version of the card — but are they the same?
Are the Amex Gold Card and the Amex Rose Gold Card Different?
To get right to the chase, there is nothing different between the Amex Gold card and the Amex Rose Gold card other than the color. They are completely identical and whichever version you select is merely a matter of preference.
Amex Gold Card Details
BEST FOR DINING
Terms Apply / Rates & Fees
Learn More(at Amex's secure site)
This is the best card for food lovers who dine out at restaurants (worldwide), order take-out and want big rewards at U.S. supermarkets!
Apply With Confidence
Know if you're approved with no credit score impact
If you're approved and accept this Card, your credit score may be impacted.
Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
See Pay Over Time APR
Good to Excellent (670-850)
Upgraded Points credit ranges are a variation of FICO®Score 8, one of many types of credit scores lenders may use when considering your credit cardapplication.
The American Express® Gold Card is a game-changer.
With this card, you can earn 4x Membership Rewards points at restaurants and you’ll also earn 4x Membership Rewards points at U.S. supermarkets on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1x.
There isn’t another card on the market that offers a 1-2 punch like this. Of course, there are several other benefits of the Gold Card as well, including extra monthly dining rewards and more.
- 4x points per $1 at restaurants, plus takeout and delivery in the U.S.
- 4x points per $1 at U.S. supermarkets, up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases; and 1x thereafter
- 3x points per $1 on flights purchased directly from airlines or at Amex Travel
- Up to $120 annual dining credit: up to $10 monthly statement credit when you pay with the Amex Gold card at Grubhub, The Cheesecake Factory, Goldbelly, Wine.com, Milk Bar and select Shake Shack locations
- Up to $120 in annual Uber Cash: get $10 monthly in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S. when you add your Gold Card to your Uber account
- No foreign transaction fees (see rates and fees)
- Access to Amex’s The Hotel Collection
- Access to American Express transfer partners
- $250 annual fee (see rates and fees)
- No lounge access
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points at Restaurants, plus takeout and delivery in the U.S., and earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- $120 Uber Cash on Gold: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Satisfy your cravings and earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the American Express® Gold Card at Grubhub, The Cheesecake Factory, Goldbelly, Wine.com, Milk Bar and select Shake Shack locations. Enrollment required.
- Get a $100 experience credit with a minimum two-night stay when you book The Hotel Collection through American Express Travel. Experience credit varies by property.
- Choose the color that suits your style. Gold or Rose Gold.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
- Find the Amex Gold 75k or 90k Welcome Bonus Offer
- Benefits of the Amex Gold
- Upgrade Amex Gold to Amex Platinum
- Amex Gold Benefits for Military
- Amex Gold vs Blue Cash Preferred
- Amex Platinum vs Amex Gold
- Amex Gold vs Delta Gold
- Best Credit Cards for Military
- Best Credit Cards for Groceries and Supermarkets
- Best Luxury and Premium Credit Cards
- Best Metal Credit Cards
- Best High Limit Credit Cards
Hot Tip: Check to see if you’re eligible for a welcome bonus offer of up to 90,000 points with the Amex Gold card. The current public offer is 60,000 points. (This targeted offer was independently researched and may not be available to all applicants.)
If you don’t already hold the Amex Gold card or Amex Rose Gold card, it is strongly worth considering thanks to its impressive earning rates:
- 4x points at restaurants worldwide, plus takeout and delivery in the U.S.
- 4x points on up to $25,000 in spend per year at U.S. supermarkets
- 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or at Amex Travel
- 1x point on all other purchases
Beyond being a fantastic point-earner, the Amex Gold card offers up to $120 annual dining credit towards Grubhub and select merchants, up to $120 in annual Uber Cash towards U.S. rides or U.S. Uber Eats purchases, access to the American Express transfer partners, access to The Hotel Collection, travel protections, and more.
Hot Tip: Read through our full guide that breaks down each benefit the Amex Gold card has to offer.
How To Get the Amex Rose Gold Card
If you don’t currently have the Amex Gold card, all you have to do is select it when applying. If you are approved, you’ll receive the Rose Gold version of the card in the mail within 5 to 7 business days.
How To Change Your Amex Gold Card to the Amex Rose Gold Card
If you already have the Amex Gold card and want to change your card to the Rose Gold version, or vice versa, you have 2 options.
The first is calling the number on the back of your card and speaking to an Amex representative. Simply let them know that you would like to switch to the Rose Gold version of the card and they will have it sent right out to you.
Similarly, you can log in to your account on the American Express website and use the chat feature to request a change to the Rose Gold version with the customer support agent.
The Amex Gold card is a fantastic card and both color variants are sure to turn a few heads. That said, while they obviously look quite a bit different, they are functionally the same card. This allows you to select whichever option you think looks best without sacrificing any of the benefits you enjoy.
For rates and fees of the American Express® Gold Card, click here.
Featured Image Credit: Upgraded Points
Frequently Asked Questions
Are the Amex Gold card and Amex Rose Gold card the same card?
Yes, the Amex Gold card and Amex Rose Gold card are exactly the same with identical benefits. They simply are a different color.
How can I change my Amex Gold card to the Amex Rose Gold card?
To change to the Rose Gold version of the card you need to either call the number on the back of your card or use the online chat feature on the Amex website.
Is the Amex Gold card worth it?
In our opinion, the Amex Gold card is very worth it thanks to its combination of point earning bonus categories, up to $240 in annual credits, card benefits, and access to all of the American Express transfer partners.
Does the Amex Gold card have an annual fee?
Yes, the Amex Gold card has a $250 annual fee.
Is the Amex Rose Gold card metal?
Yes, the Rose Gold version of the Amex Gold is metal, just like the standard version of the card.
Was this page helpful?