The American Express® Gold Card is a powerhouse when it comes to earning valuable Amex Membership Rewards points and offering premium travel benefits.
When comparing the Amex Gold card to The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll see that the Amex Gold card’s annual fee is lower than the Amex Platinum card, but it’s still substantial.
The Amex Gold card’s benefits and perks make the annual fee a no-brainer for many travelers. Applying when the welcome bonus is as high as possible is one of the keys to getting the most out of your card and getting the maximum benefit from the annual fee.
American Express only allows you to earn the bonus on a credit card once in your lifetime, so you might as well get the most bang for your buck!
In this post, you’ll find all the information you need to apply for the Amex Gold card with an elevated welcome offer.
How To Find the 75k- or 90k-point Welcome Offer
The welcome bonus for the Amex Gold card historically hovers around 60,000 points, so finding a higher welcome bonus is awesome.
There are 5 main ways to find a higher welcome bonus for the Amex Gold card:
- Check the American Express website (easiest option)
- Use the CardMatch tool
- Get a targeted mailing
- Personal referral offers
- Use an incognito browser (with caution)
1. Check the American Express Website (Do This First)
When starting your search for an increased welcome offer on the Amex Gold card, we highly recommend you start by checking the American Express website directly.
On the website, you can easily check to see if you prequalify for Amex Gold card offers, including increased offers, without any impact to your credit score.
Here’s the current public offer:
2. CardMatch Tool
The CardMatch tool is a web-based form developed by CreditCards.com that allows you to quickly see your best credit card offers from partner banks.
Keep in mind the CardMatch tool only shows you offers from banks it’s affiliated with, so you won’t see every credit card offer that’s available to you. American Express offers will show up on the CardMatch tool.
How To Use the CardMatch Tool
- To use the CardMatch tool, you’ll start by entering your first and last name. Afterward, you’ll need to enter your address, employment status, annual income, rent/mortgage payment, the last 4 digits of your Social Security number, and your email address.
- After you’ve entered the required information, click on Agree and Get Matches.
- Here you’ll be able to see a list of the credit card offers that are available to you. You can sort your list using the filter options on the left side of the screen by card feature and card issuer.
- Searching for credit card offers using the CardMatch tool does not affect your credit score because it only requires a soft pull. You won’t get a hard pull on your credit score until you actually apply for a card.
3. Targeted Mailings and Offers From American Express
If you are lucky, you might just find a higher offer for the Amex Gold card in your mailbox. But for the rest of us, there are a few things you can do to give yourself the best chances of having this offer mailed or emailed to you.
Turn on Email Settings
If you want to put yourself in the best position for receiving targeted offers from American Express, be sure to sign up for credit card offers by email.
- Log into your American Express account.
- Select Account Services in the top menu bar. Then select Alerts & Communications Preferences, then Marketing Email Preferences.
- Make sure the Offers box is checked, and be sure to save your selections at the bottom of the page.
4. Personal Referral Offers
If you know a friend or family member with an American Express card, ask them to send you their referral using the Amex refer-a-friend program. If your friend or family member doesn’t have the Amex Gold card, that is no problem! You can be referred to any card American Express offers from any other card type. Better yet, these targeted referral offers can sometimes include increased welcome offers of 75,000 or even 90,000 points!
5. Incognito Browser (Use With Caution)
The third way to try getting a 75,000-point welcome offer, or higher, for the Amex Gold card is through an incognito browser. Searching for the card in incognito mode on your browser may display a different offer than what you could otherwise get.
Here’s an example of a 75,000-point welcome offer that became available when searching in incognito.
If you are using incognito browsers to find the best offer, do so with caution. According to the terms and conditions of applying for an American Express credit card, Amex reserves the right to not honor a welcome bonus that wasn’t intended for you. According to its website,
“If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome offer(s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit Membership Rewards® points to, we may freeze Membership Rewards® points credited to, or we may take away Membership Rewards® points from your account.”
Reasons You May Not Get a Targeted Bonus Offer
Low Credit: If your credit score could use some improvement, you probably won’t get targeted offers. So, the first thing you’ll need to do is make sure your credit score is as high as possible. You should use your current credit responsibly and pay off your bill in full and on time each month. Failure to do this will make it very unlikely you’ll get a bonus offer in the mail.
You Already Have an American Express Card: According to crowdsourced data, you might be less likely to get a targeted offer like this if you already have an American Express credit card.
Getting a new credit card is fun and a great way to earn lots of points fast. But getting that same credit card with a huge welcome bonus is even better! While the welcome bonus for the Amex Gold card historically hovers around 60,000 points, there are offers out there for 75,000 or even 90,000 points!
Before you apply for this card, take a quick peek around the internet to see what you can find:
- Check the American Express website
- Try out the CardMatch tool to find targeted offers
- Sign up for new cards and credit offers through American Express
- Try a personal referral from an Amex cardholder
- Try searching for an offer in incognito mode (but proceed with caution)
Once you have your new Amex Gold card, be sure to come back here for lots of tips on how to earn points fast and the best way to use your points for maximum value.
For rates and fees of the American Express® Gold Card, click here.
Featured Image Credit: