Frontier is one of the few airlines that currently charges a fee for standard carry-on bags and each checked bag (there are no automatic inclusions).
With Frontier’s baggage policy, these fees increase with time. So, to save the most money you should purchase both your carry-on and checked luggage allowance as early as possible.
If you’re not sure how much you’re bringing at the exact time you purchase your ticket, you have until 24hrs prior to departure to secure the next cheapest fee.
Remember, baggage charges are applied per one-way trip (i.e. you’ll be paying double these fees round trip).
Table of contents
Table of Contents
Frontier Carry-On Allowance
1 personal item: FREE
Standard carry-on bags:
- At Booking: $38-$42
- Online (up to 24hrs from departure): $42-$45
- Call Center: $55
- Web Check-In: $43-$46
- Airport Ticket Counter: $55
- At the Gate: $60
Please note: if you arrive at the departure gate with carry-on luggage outside of your booked allowance then you will be charged an additional fee to check the item as hold luggage.
- Personal: 18 x 14 x 8 inches (45.72 x 35.56 x 20.32 cm)
- Standard: 24 x 16 x 10 inches (60.96 x 40.64 x 20.32 cm) and no heavier than 35 pound (15.88 kg)
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- A diaper bag may be carried on board when traveling with a child, in addition to your carry-on allowance.
Stroller Check Policy
- Strollers will be checked at the gate free of charge.
Frontier Checked Baggage Allowance
All checked bags must adhere to a max weight of 23kg (50lb) and max linear dimensions of 158cm (62”). Pricing below is for a one-way flight.
|1st Bag||2nd Bag||3+ Bags|
|Online (up to|
|Via Call Center||$55||$55||$95|
|Airport Ticket Counter||$55||$55||$95|
*for bags exceeding carry-on size limits
Please note: Frontier’s bundles, The WORKS℠ & The PERKS℠, includes both a carry-on piece and checked bag for each passenger and may save you money.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases worldwide
Additional / Excess Baggage Fees
Max weight per bag: <50lb
Overweight Fee: $75
Max linear dimensions per bag: up to 62 linear inches
Oversized Fee: $75
Bags heavier than 100lb or larger than 110 linear inches won’t be accepted by Frontier Airlines.
*For baggage fees related to special luggage (sporting equipment, musical instruments, etc.) please refer to Frontier’s policy here.
Can I Pre-pay for Baggage?
Frontier Airlines does allow passengers the ability to pre-pay for luggage online or via the mobile app, saving up to 50%.
Here are the ways you can pre-pay:
- Log in to the ‘My Trip/Check-In’ area of the Frontier website and click ‘Add baggage’.
- Download and log in to the Frontier app.
Recommended Cards That Reimburse You For Baggage Fees
Frontier doesn’t have a co-branded credit card that provides a free checked bag, but you can get your checked bag fees reimbursed by the cards below.
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card - This no annual fee card comes with a 20,000 mile welcome bonus (worth $200) once you spend $1,000 within the first 3 months. When you use your card for travel purchases (e.g. baggage fees), use your miles to pay off all, or part of, your statement! This is why we like this card.|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card - The "big brother" card to the VentureOne® with a larger 50,000 welcome bonus (worth $500), when you spend $3,000 within the first 3 months.|
Exclusions & Waivers
FRONTIER Milessm Elite members (all tiers) receive a complimentary carry-on bag.
FRONTIER Milessm Elite 100K members receive a complimentary checked bag.
Active Duty Military:
- One free personal item
- One free carry-on bag
- Two free checked bags
Oversize and overweight baggage fees are waived for the first two free checked bags.
Please note: U.S. military passengers are defined as active duty armed forces, reserves, and national guard.”
What to remember:
- This applies to active duty military passengers only (not family members or traveling companions).
- You can not add your baggage online. You must check your baggage at the airport in order for the fees to be waived.
**Previously, Frontier allowed unlimited bags for active duty military members, allowing their spouses/family to technically check their bags in under the active duty military personnel’s name/ticket and therefore extending the policy to spouse/family by proxy. However, as one UP reader brought to our attention, the policy has recently changed to reflect the above rules — only ONE personal item, ONE carry-on and TWO checked bag will be complimentary for the activy duty military member.
That being said, if the active duty member has only one bag to check and their spouse has one bag to check, we assume both bags could technically be considered complimentary if checked under the active duty member’s name. This will depend on the generosity of the gate agent.