We may be compensated when you click on product links, such as credit cards, from one or more of our advertising partners. Terms apply to the offers below. See our Advertising Policy for more about our partners, how we make money, and our rating methodology. Opinions and recommendations are ours alone.
Update:The offer mentioned below has expired and is no longer available.
Are you thinking about traveling to Asia this year? There’s an excellent flight deal from the West Coast to Tokyo, Japan, in premium economy with availability through the fall.
Here’s what you need to know!
Fare Deal — Details
This deal is operated on American’s nonstop route between Los Angeles (LAX) and Tokyo (HND) on a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner. Seats are arranged in a comfortable 2-3-2 configuration, so if you’re traveling with a companion, you may want to book seats A, C, J, or L.
It’s a pretty good way to fly to and from Tokyo (an 11-hour flight), as you’ll get extra legroom, priority boarding, and free seat selection.
You can play around with dates on Google Flights, and then book directly through American to find the best deals:
- Class: Premium economy
- Routes: Los Angeles (LAX) to Tokyo (HND)
- Dates: April to May 2023; August to November 2023
- Rates: As low as $1,119 round-trip
Best Ways to Book
You’ll find scattered availability between late April and early May, but the best (and cheapest) availability can be found in the fall of 2023, particularly in October.
Plug your preferred dates into Google Flights, and then book directly with American. Make sure to select the premium economy option rather than Main Plus if booking through Google Flights, and use a card that rewards you for purchases with American Airlines, flights, or general travel:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®: 2x miles on American Airlines purchases
- Citi®/AAdvantage® Executive World Elite Mastercard®: 4x miles on eligible American Airlines purchases
- The Platinum Card® from American Express: 5x Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with the airline or through AmexTravel.com (capped at $500,000 spent in purchases per calendar year)
- The Business Platinum Card® from American Express: 5x Membership Rewards points on flights booked through AmexTravel.com
- Chase Sapphire Reserve®: 5x Ultimate Rewards points when you book travel through the Ultimate Rewards portal; 3x points on all travel purchase
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card: 5x Ultimate Rewards points when you book travel through the Ultimate Rewards portal; 2x points on all travel purchases.
- Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card: 5x Capital One miles on flights booked through Capital One Travel; or 2x miles on all purchases (including travel)
Hot Tip: Take a look at our recommendations for the best American Airlines credit cards for perks like lounge access, free checked bags and more!
American’s 787 premium economy is a decent way to fly, and this is a solid flight deal for such a long flight. Like many flight deals, however, this low fare probably won’t last long, so make sure to book as soon as possible!
The information regarding the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card was independently collected by Upgraded Points and not provided nor reviewed by the issuer.
The information regarding the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® was independently collected by Upgraded Points and not provided nor reviewed by the issuer.
Featured Image Credit: AA.com
Was this page helpful?
UP's Bonus Valuation
This bonus value is an estimated valuation calculated by UP after analyzing redemption options, transfer partners, award availability and how much UP would pay to buy these points.