Update: The offer mentioned below has expired and is no longer available.
Chase made waves in late 2021 when it debuted the Aeroplan® Credit Card, launching the return of an Aeroplan card for U.S. travelers. The card offers a variety of welcome features, including the ability to redeem your Aeroplan points to Pay Yourself Back, a feature unique to specific Chase cards. Now, the card’s current welcome offer is ending. Let’s take a look.
Aeroplan Card Welcome Bonus
Nearly all new credit cards like to come in strong with their launch offers in order to attract as much interest as possible. The Aeroplan card is no different, giving its holders the ability to earn 2 50,000-point flight certificates after spending $4,000 on the card in the first 3 months from account opening.
This has been the card’s offer since launch, but it’ll soon be disappearing. The last day to apply for this card with the current welcome offer is April 20, 2022.
The offer on this card is a little more restrictive than others, which will often reward you with a lump sum of bonus points rather than flight certificates. However, you can still get pretty far with a 50,000-point certificate.
Here’s an economy class flight from Chicago (ORD) to Dubai (DXB) that will run you 53,200 points:
It’s important to note that these certificates will only work on a single redemption — and if your flight costs less than 50,000 points, you won’t get a refund on the unused amount. This means that your best bet is to find a flight as close to 50,000 points as possible, or even a little over, and use your certificate to redeem. If the flight exceeds 50,000 points, you can apply points from your Aeroplan account to cover the difference.
Aeroplan Card Rewards and Benefits
The Aeroplan credit card is a solid option for many people, even if they aren’t big fans of Air Canada. This is thanks to Air Canada’s membership in Star Alliance, which allows members to redeem points for flights from airlines such as United, Lufthansa, ANA, and SWISS Air. With just a $95 annual fee, you can expect to receive the following:
- 3x points per $1 on Air Canada purchases, at grocery stores, and dining at restaurants (including takeout and eligible delivery services)
- 500 bonus points for every $2,000 you spend in a calendar month (up to a maximum of 1,500 bonus points)
- Receive Aeroplan 25K status for the remainder of the calendar year, plus the following calendar year, and continue to extend it beyond that by spending $15,000 on the card per calendar year, or qualify for 35K elite status after spending $50,000 in a calendar year
- Pay Yourself Back at 1.25 cents per point towards Air Canada flights
- Free checked bag for the cardholder and up to 8 traveling companions on Air Canada flights
- Global Entry/TSA PreCheck/NEXUS fee credit
- Preferred pricing on award tickets
- No foreign transaction fees
Additional spend thresholds starting at $100,000 of spending in a calendar year will unlock unprecedented Aeroplan redemption benefits, including 50% off Priority Rewards and companion benefits.
The current welcome offer for the Aeroplan card, which includes 2 50,000-point flight certificates, is set to expire on April 20, 2022. If this card has been on your mind, now is the time to apply.
Featured Image Credit: