Avianca’s baggage policy trends along the general lines of other large carriers in that your first one to two checked bags are included (depending on cabin class/destination) with fees charged for additional pieces above your allowance.
These fees, in addition to those for overweight/oversized baggage, are a bit more complicated and are highly weight & route dependent as you’ll see in our tables below.
Table of contents
Table of Contents
Avianca Carry-On Allowance
1 personal item: FREE
1 standard carry-on bag: FREE
- Personal: undisclosed, but the airline references items such as a wallet, backpack, or laptop bag. This should be small enough to fit under the seat in front of you.
- Standard: 21.5 x 13.8 x 9.8 inches (55 cm x 35 cm x 25 cm), up to 22 pounds (10 kg)
- LifeMiles Elite members (Gold and Diamond) and Gold Star Alliance passengers traveling in Business Class: 2 FREE carry-ons (22 pound/10 kg and 45/114 inches each), for all flights not originating in the U.S.
Lap Infant Carry-On Policy
- A diaper bag for use on the journey can be brought into the cabin
- A small stroller can be transported in the cabin provided there is space
Stroller Check Policy
- Umbrella type stroller: This is the type of stroller Avianca recommends using when traveling with an infant. These strollers are exempt from baggage charges and can be checked at the boarding gate.
- Collapsible Stroller (less than 20 pounds/9 kg and 62 inches/158 cm): This type of stroller is also accepted and is exempt from charges when flying with an infant, but is required to be checked at the check-in counter or boarding gate.
- Strollers from 20-50 (9-23 kg) pounds and/or with total dimensions exceeding 158-230 cm (62-90.5 cm): This type of stroller is not recommended for transport. Avianca will allow you to check these strollers at the check-in gate but warns travelers that an “Extra Piece” charge will apply.*
*Over-sized luggage charges are also applicable for any stroller exceeding 90.5 inches/230 cm (even if the weight does not exceed 20 pounds/9 kg).
Avianca Checked Baggage Allowance
All checked bags must adhere to a max weight of 50 pounds (23 kg) for Economy and Premium Economy; 70 pounds (32 kg) for Business and First Class fares, and max linear dimensions of 62 inches (158 cm).
On most flights within and between Central and South America
- Economy: 1 bag FREE
- Business: 2 bags FREE
- Infants: 1 bag (22 pounds/10kg)
Flights between America and Europe (new baggage allowance applicable from 1st August 2019
- Super Promo Fare (to/from Madrid, Barcelona, London, and Munich): 1 bag FREE
- Econo and Flexi Fares (to/from Madrid, Barcelona, London, and Munich): 2 bags FREE
- Super Promo, Econo, Flexi Fares (to the rest of Europe): 2 bags FREE
All Other Routes
- Economy: 1 bag FREE
- Business: 2 bags FREE
Baggage allowances can vary by fare type so it’s a good idea to check your allowance using Avianca’s baggage calculator.
For baggage fees related to Sporting Goods, please refer to Avianca’s policy here.
For baggage fees related to all other special luggage, please refer to Avianca’s policy here.
Additional / Excess Baggage Fees
|Route||First piece||Second piece||Extra piece (3+bags)||Overweight |
(158cm – 230cm)
|Within Colombia||XS and S Fares: COP 69.900|
M, XL, and XXL Fares: included
|XS, S, and M Fares: COP 99.900|
XXL Fares: included
|XS, S, M, XL, and XXL Fares: COP 210,000||51-100 lb: COP 100,000||COP 100,000|
|Within Peru||Included||$40||$65||51-100 lb: $40||$80|
|Within Ecuador||XS and S Fares: $21|
M, XL, and XXL Fares: included
|S Fare: $32|
M Fare: $32
XL and XXL Fares: included
|S, M, XL, and XXL Fares: $60||51-100 lb: $15||$25|
|International Flights – additional luggage|
|Route||Second piece||Extra piece (3+bags)|
|Between North America and Bolivia, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile||$60**||$185|
|Between North America and Colombia, Ecuador and Peru||$60*||$185*|
|Between Mexico and Bolivia, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile||$50**||$185|
|Between Mexico, Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru||$50||$185|
|To and from Mexico||$40||$175|
|Between the United States, Canada and Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Honduras||$60||$175|
|Between the United States, Canada and Belize, El Salvador, Guatemala, Panama||$50||$175|
|Between the United States, Canada and Central America in High Season (from U.S. and Canada from 13 to 24 December, to U.S. Canada from 29 December to 9 January)||$100||$225|
|Between Central American countries||$40||$175|
|Between Central and South America||$40||$175|
|To and From the Caribbean||$40||$175|
|Between countries in South America||$80||$175|
|To and from Europe||$100*||$190*|
*Price may vary depending on if you fly in high or low season. The table refers to the maximum payment amount.
**For tickets issued on or after November 14, 2019. In these destinations, prices may vary if you fly in high or low season. The table refers to the maximum payment amount.
|International Flights – overweight and oversized luggage|
|Between North America and Bolivia, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile||$260 per piece||$150 per piece|
|Between North America and the Caribbean, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru||$260 per piece||$150 per piece|
|Between Mexico and Colombia, Ecuador and Peru||$260 per piece||$150 per piece|
|From and to Mexico||$235 per piece||$150 per piece|
|Between the United States, Canada and Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Hondura||$235 per piece||$150 per piece|
|Between the United States, Canada and Belize, El Salvador, Guatemala, Panama||$235||$150|
|Between countries in Central America||$235||$150|
|Between Central and South America||$235||$150|
|From and to the Caribbean||$235||$150|
|Between countries in South America||$235||$150|
|From and to Europe||€240||€100|
Fares do not include taxes.
Can I Pre-pay for Baggage?
Avianca Airlines does allow passengers the ability to pre-pay for luggage online, at Avianca sales offices, or by contacting their call center.
Here are the ways you can pre-pay:
- At the ‘Optional requests’ area when booking your flight online.
- At an Avianca sales office (early booking discounts may apply for baggage if booked up to 8 days before departure)
- Contact their call center on (+001) 800-284-2622
Credit Cards That Reimburse You For Checked Bag Fees
If you’re traveling to or from South America on Avianca, check out one of these cards to get reimbursed for your extra checked bags.
|Capital One® VentureOne® Rewards Credit Card - This no annual fee card comes with a 20,000 bonus mile offer after spending $500 in the first 3 months. When you use your card for travel purchases (e.g. baggage fees), use your miles to pay off all, or part of, your statement balance! We've highlighted 30+ benefits of the card.|
|Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card - The "big brother" card to the VentureOne with a 100,000 bonus miles when you spend $20,000 on purchases in the first 12 months from account opening, or still earn 50,000 miles if you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months. This card is full of benefits and perks and you can redeem your miles on travel (flights, hotels, even paying for baggage fees etc) or transfer your miles to over 10+ travel loyalty programs.|
Exclusions & Waivers
If you have LifeMiles status (Silver, Gold and Diamond) and Star Alliance Gold level, you may transport the following pieces of baggage without additional cost and in any region.
Lifemiles Diamond & Gold / Star Alliance Gold:
Economy – 2 pieces (23kg / 50 lbs) + 1 additional piece (20 kg / 44lb)
Business – 2 pieces (32kg / 70 lbs) + 1 additional piece (20 kg / 44lb)
Economy – 2 pieces (50lb)
Business – 2 pieces (32kg)